Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 2/4 Hotchkis Drop

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about 2/4 Hotchkis Drop

Yo, I'm going to be getting a Hotchkis 2/4 drop in two weeks or so, but I had a question for you guys using this kit. I went by California Concepts today to get their opinion on a drop for my truck for the hell of it. I asked them what they reccomended, and they said Belltech, like that was the only way to go lol. Then I asked them about Hotchkis, and they said they seem to be good, but they have limited experience with them, and gave me some crap about how Belltech is specially designed for my truck blah blah blah . I know that the Hotchkis is probably the best kit on the market for what I want, so that's what I want to get. Then we started to talk about how much load the set up can take and modifying the factory bumbstops. They then told me that with the Hotchkis or Belltech 2/4 drop, you can't have a load of anymore than 150 pounds or it will bottom out on the bumpstops. They tell me I have to run airbags in the rear in order to haul any significant load. I'm thinking what a bunch of crap, but I go along with all the numbers they're pulling out of their asses about the Hotchkis kit . I did a little research, and it seems to me that the Hotchkis has no problem with decent loads, and Hotchkis even states that their system will match the facotry load rating. Finally, to get to my question. With the Hotchkis kit does it include a modified rear bumpstop, or does the stock one need to be modified in some way? I would imagine the stock bumpstop would limit the travel too much. Thanks for any help guys! Oh and sorry for rambling on so long about nothing lol.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off, i have the belltech kit that consisted of a 2/3 shackle/hanger kit w/ coils and nitro-active shocks.. it bottomed out ALOT with no load ..so i put the factory shackles back in but I still used the belltech hangers, and it lifted the rear back up about 3/4" to maybe 1 inch. Now it has a slight rake and looks good too. I dont bottom out as much, but I will tell you with the kit you will definatly bottom out on bumps, especially if you have a load in the back.

I am not sure about the hotchkis kit, but im sure it will bottom out as well if you go over a hump fast.

I will eventually c-notch the frame so i can slam my truck more.. but for now its a perfect balance of sportiness and practibility.

So to answer your question, yes you will bottom out.

with the belltech at least.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, and I have a A.R.E. fiberglass tonneau cover, so that may be the 150 pounds that contributed to the bottoming out. But even after I put the factory shackels back in, with the belltech hanger.. it still bottoms out every once and a while with a good bump.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the response. I had a feeling that the Belltech would bottom out very easily, since it uses the stock springs with a overload spring not designed for a 4 inch drop.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have only bottomed out once on my 2/4 Hotchkis kit, and that was a hell of a bump, so much it split the rear bumpstop. The kit comes with the new bumpstops already. If you have a fleetside truck, your ride will still be nice, but be warned if you have a stepside like mine, it gets real bouncy in the rear. I had just recently carried over 1000lbs of speekers in the back of my truck and drove across town with them and did not bottom out once, and actually it made the truck look perfectly even. I measured under neath, and there is 2 1/2"s of space between the rear bumpstop and rear axle, and about the same up front. Mine did not bounce bad until I put a roll pan in the back, and removed the spare tire. This dropped about 100lbs out of the back, then my truck started bouncing all over the place. I currently run sand bags in the back to smooth out the ride, until I can get a toneau cover and put a lockable spare tire carrier in the back of the bed.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Thanks hodgeee...you da man! You sold me on the 2/4 Hotchkis drop. If it can handle 1000 pounds without too much trouble, that's enough for me. Nice truck btw, you probably have some traction problems with the 4:10's and 5.3, with so little weight
Old 12-06-2003, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wait, is your truck the black one with 20" centerlines? It sounds familar.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, im thinking about a hotchkis kit as well, i wanna get a nelson perf. tuning 1st, and some 4.10s/posi
Old 12-06-2003, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nelson's tune sounds pretty bad ***, I'll probably get his or Wester's tune. I'm holding off until I get a 6.0 liter. I'm getting 4.10's/posi in two weeks as well. Should be fun!
Old 12-07-2003, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Another completely satisfied Hotchkis user here too. If you look in the "Customer Vehicles" section on thier website you'll see an old pic of my truck.

Quick Reply: Question about 2/4 Hotchkis Drop