SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 2/4 Hotchkis Drop

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the hotchkis kit too with doetsch tech shocks and couldn't be happier with it put my 400ex in the back all the time and it still doesn't bottom out. came with new bumpstops for the front and rear also.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:42 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Hotchkis 2/4 with the sways and i LOVE it
I have the Edelbrock IAS shocks with it.
The kit comes with bumpstops.
I have never bottomed out and I've gone fast over some pretty nasty bumps...no problem yet.
It rides a little rougher than stock of course, but you can take corners very nicely...the trade-off is well worth it.
I have no spare tire on it right now...
When I stomp it from a complete stop, it slips juuuust a bit and then hooks and takes off...anything else, like rolling from just the idle...no slippage..just hooks and goes.
I want caltracs now
I will have a few mods soon that will require the caltracs
Old 12-07-2003, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you one thing. Whatever drop you decide on, get the edelbrock IAS shocks. My truck rode like **** with the djm 2/4 and stock shocks. My truck rode like **** with djm's drop shocks, you could jump on the tailgate and the truck would barely budge. The stock shocks are worn out from the time you leave the dealer lot. I installed the edelbrock shocks and its a totaly different truck, rides like a cadillac. If I had to drop it again I would go with the Hotchkiss rear leafs in the back for the simple installation and the djm LCA's in the front and of course the edelbrock shocks.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the helpful insight guys. I assume that the KYB shocks on the truck now will work with the drop. The stock shocks are such junk. When I had them replaced, I barely leaned on the shocks when they were off and they would compress so quickly it was ridiculous. With the KYB'S even if you get all your weight on the shock it compresses a lot slower. The swaybar sounds like a nice addition, I need to get rid of some of the push and quicken up the response, so it's more car like.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Your gonna need to get some shocks made for a 2/4 drop unless those KYB's are.........
Old 12-07-2003, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll have to find out if they'll work or not. I guess Edelbrock's are the hot ticket as far as shocks go.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Bumpstops? who needs bumpstops?

You can get shorter bumpstops from Autozone for about $3-5 - I got the smallest ones they had and still hit them every once in a while, so I yanked them out and it rarely bottoms out. I have some funky 2-leaf drop springs out back + shackles, so theyre more flimsy than the Hotchkis springs. Wish I had gone with Hotchkis to begin with, but when I was calling around about shocks, I talked to this guy from Doestch Tech that convinced me he could get me some quality drops springs+coils for cheap.......and they are that.......cheap. The coils are fine but the leafs are junk. Anyways........I really like my Edelbrock shocks as well.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Hotchkis used Bilsteins when developing their kit so that is what I used. They said they are not familiar with the Edelbrocks.

I've got 200# of sand in the back of my truck for winter weight and no bottoming out problems.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tdrumm
Hotchkis used Bilsteins when developing their kit so that is what I used. They said they are not familiar with the Edelbrocks.

I've got 200# of sand in the back of my truck for winter weight and no bottoming out problems.
That's funny because when I bought my Hotchkis kit from them I asked about the Bilsteins and they didn't recommend them because of valving issues. Sounded like they were too stiff.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, my truck is the one with 20" Centerlines, and yeah, traction with 4.10s really sucked before I got my Caltrac Bars, and even with no weight back there it hooks up with minimal wheelspin. I got the Edelbrock IAS shocks recommended by Hotchkis, and I know that Tokico just came out with an auto adjusting shock that is really just a rip off of the Edelbrocks. They both offer the same warrenty, but I have heard that the Tokicos are a little cheaper, and that they ride a little nicer. You can use KYB shocks, although they do not title them for lowered trucks, but in the box, the warrenty card says to not exceed more than a 2/4" drop on your vehicle with these shocks, and a few people are running them with no problems that I have heard of.

Yeah, when I carried those speakers in the back, I was actually impressed that the suspension handled it with no problems, and that the truck felt just as peppy with all that extra weight!

Quick Reply: Question about 2/4 Hotchkis Drop