SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have close up pics but I simply bolted them to the floor. Being so low profile,so I can move them all the way back, there doesn't seem to be any need to raise them off the floor. If, after driving, I feel I want them up I will use some square probably 1.-2.5" like the #3 post.

These aren't the lightest either but full recline and slide plus they are fully apolstered. I have a 5 point for the drivers's seat and i think I might just put a lap belt for the passanger since I will almost never have a passanger and certainly won't at the track.

I forget what type of seat they are because I traded some stuff for them to a guy. I looked them up when I got them and they were about $180 plus shipping. Never driven down the road in them but they feel very confortable sitting still.

I will figure out the name and brand this week.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by blown02408
So what did you do about the air bags?
The seat has nothing to do with the air bags. There is a sensor under the seat but it is bolted to the floor.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my truck there are pressure sensors in the seats that I need to figure out wtf to do lol. Your truck is ciming out great man keep it up
Old 03-27-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarinitup
... There are lighter seats out there but these are comfortable and have recline, slide, and pull forward to access back of seat.
Like blown02408 said, what did you do about the air bags? I thought I've read of issues some on PT had when u remove pass. seat about air bag light stayin on or somethin like that. Cause as Lee said, IIRC, my airbag sensors are tied into the seat. I could be wrong, but I don't wanna go to dealer to have a Tech2 & tell them I needed seat out to go to track. Then I'm in my local GM dealer's files as a guy who beats on his ****. Imay be exagerrating a tad, but u get the point. I don't wanna show up on radar.
Point being, I really wanted to remove pass. seat for track only, then swap back in at home after track. With no issues.

Oh ya, to remove seat, don't ya need a special Torx bit? If so, what size?

Originally Posted by StrokerAce03
Looks awesome but those seats look really low for some reason. I like the cage too, who did it?

The reason most don't go with aftermarket seats is because of the seatbelts being mounted in the actual seat and the fact that you can't legally drive a vehicle on the street with airbags and 5-point harnesses. The only street legal harness is made by Schroth and it still uses a retractor.
Actually I thought the opposite, seats would position me too close to roof.
That's a huge issue for me. I need my headroom.

I think cost too, cause it seems alot on here don't care if they're rides are street legal or not, & yes I mean beyond harnesses, some really goin extreme. Whereas some could jus change a few things back quite easily. I didn't know, "fact that you can't legally drive a vehicle on the street with airbags and 5-point harnesses," before. I understood it as a 5 pt. harness isn't street legal.

While Scroth makes that "legal", most probably wouldn't run it due to cost. The ole RJS or similar "non-legals" used to be in the $65-$85 range. The Scroth is like $129-$189 or whatever. Near double. zRetractor? Same as OEM retractor tho, right? Also, 5 pts. require a re-cert to be legal @ track, be it new belts or a re-web. While I'm not in the speedy territory some on PT are, if I was worried bout the Man, just run OEM on street only, then have mounts welded in for race harness at track, w/. welding or whatnot to make that end of it legal.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow...I really like those seats!! Not sure if I'd ever want to get rid of my Captain's chairs but...damn those are nice!!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by SLOXCAB
On my truck there are pressure sensors in the seats that I need to figure out wtf to do lol. Your truck is ciming out great man keep it up
I am sure it is either an on off switch or a rheostat. If it is an on off obviously you need to install a switch, if it is a rheostat you need to find the resistance needed for on and off and you can have the air bags function like they should.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Like blown02408 said, what did you do about the air bags? I thought I've read of issues some on PT had when u remove pass. seat about air bag light stayin on or somethin like that. Cause as Lee said, IIRC, my airbag sensors are tied into the seat. I could be wrong, but I don't wanna go to dealer to have a Tech2 & tell them I needed seat out to go to track. Then I'm in my local GM dealer's files as a guy who beats on his ****. Imay be exagerrating a tad, but u get the point. I don't wanna show up on radar.
Point being, I really wanted to remove pass. seat for track only, then swap back in at home after track. With no issues.

Oh ya, to remove seat, don't ya need a special Torx bit? If so, what size?

Actually I thought the opposite, seats would position me too close to roof.
That's a huge issue for me. I need my headroom.

I think cost too, cause it seems alot on here don't care if they're rides are street legal or not, & yes I mean beyond harnesses, some really goin extreme. Whereas some could jus change a few things back quite easily. I didn't know, "fact that you can't legally drive a vehicle on the street with airbags and 5-point harnesses," before. I understood it as a 5 pt. harness isn't street legal.

While Scroth makes that "legal", most probably wouldn't run it due to cost. The ole RJS or similar "non-legals" used to be in the $65-$85 range. The Scroth is like $129-$189 or whatever. Near double. zRetractor? Same as OEM retractor tho, right? Also, 5 pts. require a re-cert to be legal @ track, be it new belts or a re-web. While I'm not in the speedy territory some on PT are, if I was worried bout the Man, just run OEM on street only, then have mounts welded in for race harness at track, w/. welding or whatnot to make that end of it legal.
A standard 15mm 6 point socket will remove the torx front nuts and an 11mm will remove the rear bolts. Since I used the stock bolts seats are as easy to remove as stocks with the exception of having the square tubing limit movement when tightening. I am going to buy a NNBS black center seat that has leather top when used as arm rest to make it look better.

As for the sensors under the seat it seems they are air actuated with weight and I think they control the chime that tells passenger to put on seat belt and I guess computer that there is someone there and deploy air bags. My truck had airbag light on since I bought it and dealer never figured it out so it doesn't bother me now that I have rollbar and harness. Also truck is not daily driver and I only use it on weekends or when I get out of work early in the evenings.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tarinitup
A standard 15mm 6 point socket will remove the torx front nuts and an 11mm will remove the rear bolts. Since I used the stock bolts seats are as easy to remove as stocks with the exception of having the square tubing limit movement when tightening. I am going to buy a NNBS black center seat that has leather top when used as arm rest to make it look better.

As for the sensors under the seat it seems they are air actuated with weight and I think they control the chime that tells passenger to put on seat belt and I guess computer that there is someone there and deploy air bags. My truck had airbag light on since I bought it and dealer never figured it out so it doesn't bother me now that I have rollbar and harness. Also truck is not daily driver and I only use it on weekends or when I get out of work early in the evenings.
Never tried that, I thought I bought a special socket like a E20 security Torx bit or somethin like it. Ya, I didn't know if bag would go off on me if I remove the seat orthe bag light or both. I really would like to see how much weight it'd shave for track runs tho.
I wouldn't want it to deploy even tho I'm unsure if it would, altho yes, it's my DD. And certainly not while I was wrenching on it. I think that fear factor keeps people outta the steering wheel too. 'Cept thieves, they figured it out, altho a few mighta got blasted when foolin w/. steering wheels.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much lower is the seat height with those over regular buckets? im 6'3 so I think I could still see over the dash but I dont like the feeling of sitting on the floor. Those look great in your truck.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by KDavis04ss
How much lower is the seat height with those over regular buckets? im 6'3 so I think I could still see over the dash but I dont like the feeling of sitting on the floor. Those look great in your truck.
Its about 5 inches lower than stock so the blocks made it just right for me.
The following users liked this post:
Billy1987 (11-04-2017)

Quick Reply: Racing seats