Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Molding Removle

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Side Molding Removle

I think I agree with you cashomiedude. Maybe I will be more happy with my trucks profile once I get those escalade door handles and eventually some painted mirrors.

Its tempting to replace the big ole mirrors with some small sporty ones BUT I really LOVE the great visibility the factory mirrors have. In my opinion the factory mirrors are some of the greatest mirrors on a stock vehicle, at least according to functionality.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

You may notice a slight discoloration, but like previously said, its only from that spot not getting any sunlight. After awhile, it'll look like the rest of the paint, and no one can tell. Every now and again @ work, we'll have something like that to remove (prep dept @ a Chevy/Caddy dealer) and you notice a slight difference, but after awhile, its not even noticeable.

And the moldings dont really protect that much. Idiots will hit it no matter what, moldings or not.

And, a quick and easy way to get that residue off, is w/ gasoline/paint thinner/prep solv or something similar. It wont harm the paint, and will get that gunk off w/ minimal rubbing.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man when I took the molding off, there was a very tiny line going around where the molding was. I think it was just a small layer of grime that regular washing won't remove. I used this spot to line up the new molding. I think a clay bar would clean it up good. And yeah that's true it only protects so much. Only a few vehicles are the exact height to where their door would hit the molding. I still like the GMC look over no molding at all though. Probably because the Escalade handles looked weird with no more chrome on the side of the truck. If I had solid red door handles it would have looked alright with nothing. I still park in the farthest spot away everywhere I go just to be safe.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:52 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its tempting to replace the big ole mirrors with some small sporty ones BUT I really LOVE the great visibility the factory mirrors have. In my opinion the factory mirrors are some of the greatest mirrors on a stock vehicle, at least according to functionality.
Yep, I agree with you on that one. I love how I can see everything, I can spot a cop easily with them, but I don't like the "elephant ear look." Oh well, you gotta take the bad with the good I guess I was thinking of getting them painted except for the chrome part, but the guys I went to asked for too much. I'm pretty sure I've seen some Yukon's or something with the whole mirror painted except for the chrome part like I want, next time I see one I'll get the VIN and order them
Old 06-11-2003, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I took the molding and emblems off my truck the other day. Just use some fishing line to get up under them and get them started and then they peel off pretty easy. Its best to have somebody to help you do this as the emblems were a little tricky.

Josh Hucks
NXS Customs