Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sir Michaels Roll Pan..HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sir Michaels Roll Pan..HELP!

I just got a sirmichaels roll pan for my silverado and had it welded in by supposedly custom shop that was a huge pain in the *** that hole process. Had to re weld my flowmaster exhaust, get a new hidden hitch, get a smaller spare tire 225 60 R17, and adjust tailgate and when I got back from him about $1000 later I had to take it back to him due to missed spot's. My question is; I still have some rusting going on in different spots the first rust the truck has ever had and it is my fault how do I take kare of it whith out taking it back to him I don't want it rusting through![IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-01-2009, 09:14 AM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

Red face

Yeah hopefuly one of you guys can get me some good advice and maybe some pointers on how to find good painters I have built five trucks and have never found a good painter that was perfect I think at the very least it should be factory quality!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

I had mine welded in, painted and undercoated for much less. Finding a good painter can be difficult, I shopped 3 painters before choosing and then I got a written quote before proceeding. I was very clear with my expectations before having him quote it.

As for the rust, try using some cleaner wax to remove the discoloration from the painted surfaces, undercoat (spray can) from the inside to prevent further corrosion.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

Well He did it for only $550 but the Whole project cost about $1000!
Old 08-01-2009, 11:34 AM
12 Second Truck Club

3M makes a an aresol can of corrosion protection called " Rust Fighter" it sprays on out of the can a creates a high build wax coating that stops rust. Works very well!

it will work great for those hard to reach area's.

thats what i use (even on my out door Grill).
Old 08-01-2009, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryan_prettyman
Yeah hopefuly one of you guys can get me some good advice and maybe some pointers on how to find good painters I have built five trucks and have never found a good painter that was perfect I think at the very least it should be factory quality!
Finding a decent painter isn't always an easy process, some come highly recommended and you still have issues with their job. In my case I've had my cowl hood back to the painter 4 times because of their mistakes and it needs to go back a 5th time because now the paint is bubbling on the front of the hood! I haven't told him about the latest problem but I'm sure he'll tell me to bring it back in and they'll paint it again but I'm seriously thinking about just dumping this painter and taking it to a different one. If I do that I'll lose $200 but sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Was this a "highly recommended" painter & did the same guy do it all 4x? Bubbling could be filler, if it was used. Bubbling is also more of a concern w/. filler on a vehicle in the "rust belt".
When I was hit, it did $9k worth of damage. Anyway, I got 3 different quotes from 3 shops. My bro's former bro-in-law had someone that he said was the best painter he had ever seen, so against my better judgment, I let him do it. I gotta tell ya, I went to school for body/ paint, even tho that is not what I do now. I did work in a high profile shop as more of an apprentice learning the "craft". I know what to look for in a good job.
Here's my horror story.
I drive in winter, but even so, on backside of rocker on ea. weld & on the big piece that the rear window mounts in ( I think it's called a bulkhead), lil rust spots from not takin the extra step. Dryspray under tailgate, most wouldn't notice. Slight color variance, on the rocker more dry spray. He said come back in 20 minutes, I did. He cleared it. Down the road, it peeled in spots. Why? Oh, I'll guess he didn't scuff it, & just wanted to get rid of me. I kept my interior spotless. Body shop dust on dash, on instrument cluster, & in general, didn't detail interior. And some other nit picky things. Even body shop mgr., told his people I was real fussy.
To me, it came down to a lack of attn. to detail.

I coulda done it better myself, maybe not the whole job, but most of it.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-01-2009 at 07:45 PM.