SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snugtop tonneau? ... also Gaylord, Undercover come in

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do remember checking that vendor in your link out. That's another problem; places like Snugtop & ******* are in CA, so those living in the Midwest get hammered on shipping. Actually, 1 distributor who is supposed to handle, I believe it's *******, is responsible for distribuion East of the Mississippi. They know it, so if u want that brand, they inflate the price.

So I actually have to drive past them to get a great price.
Road Trip. Here's where it gets a bit more interesting. I gotta get it ordered by the end of the week, & wait for it to come in. Since I'm outta vacation time, use an option day from work (Hope that gets approved due to how hard it is to get time off. Otherwise I gotta call in, which I hate to do.) since my vacation time is all used up for the year.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Snuglid SL on my RCSB. Paint match was good, but the actual fiberglass finish was not that great. It would take some hours with some filler to make it glass smooth.

I installed it in about 30-45 minutes with the help of the guys who delivered it. Which by the way were two college guys on from Missouri on their winter break driving their pickup with a trailer loaded full of covers. I think I paid around $1300 delivered to NJ.

It is a two man operation to take it on and off. Probably weighed about 100 pounds. But the hinge system is pretty sweet. Just unscrew one **** on each hinge and the cover lifts off, leaving the rails still installed.

The locking mechanism worked well for about 4 years, but in the last year got harder and harder to operate. I wasn't sad to leave it on the truck when I traded it in.

I won't be getting another SnugLid on my new truck, due to the finish and locking mechanism. Right now, my front runner is the ******** X2000. Seems to have a better finish than the Snuglid and my dad has a regular ******** on his truck that he is happy with. Price is crazy though, I found it for $1500 from Stylin Trucks.

I was also looking at the GemTop GT classic, but it doesn't cover the bedrails and GM for what ever reason put ugly black textured plastic bed caps on every 1500 crew cab. Plus I think the hinge system on it looks a little cheesy, but I've only seen pictures of them online.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Teching In

I just bought a Snuglid SL for my truck and it looks real smooth to me, I had a GemTop GT on my other truck, but I love the Snuglid SL more.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tdrumm
I had a Snuglid SL on my RCSB. Paint match was good, but the actual fiberglass finish was not that great. It would take some hours with some filler to make it glass smooth.

I installed it in about 30-45 minutes with the help of the guys who delivered it. Which by the way were two college guys on from Missouri on their winter break driving their pickup with a trailer loaded full of covers. I think I paid around $1300 delivered to NJ.

It is a two man operation to take it on and off. Probably weighed about 100 pounds. But the hinge system is pretty sweet. Just unscrew one **** on each hinge and the cover lifts off, leaving the rails still installed.

The locking mechanism worked well for about 4 years, but in the last year got harder and harder to operate. I wasn't sad to leave it on the truck when I traded it in.

I won't be getting another SnugLid on my new truck, due to the finish and locking mechanism. Right now, my front runner is the ******** X2000. Seems to have a better finish than the Snuglid and my dad has a regular ******** on his truck that he is happy with. Price is crazy though, I found it for $1500 from Stylin Trucks.
A smooth finish is what I prefer. If it's glass smooth, well, that may be something I have to do down the road when I paint my whole truck. No one is gonna do it like me, & if so, I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it that nice. Plus, I'd prefer to paint it myself anyway.

If I get a Snugtop SL & incur the same problems, well I'll be .
I sure don't want the lock to not work & not be able to get under lid.
Paint should be dead nuts, if it's close I have to deal w/. it, but any paint match might not be up to par on anything sprayed that should be done in tandem.

Tom, the X2000 is the other lid I wanted, but like I said in earlier posts, kept hearing of "damage" horror stories. I can't drive as far as I'm going, just to go there to see my **** damaged. : bang: I gotta give lead time just to order it.
I lose 1/2 day of work, my time & my gas. Anytime I'm spending $700-1500, it's a big deal. Only thing that costs as much/ & is a pain to ship is a s/c, turbo or tranny. Come to think of it, tires/rims, & big brakes too. Paint/ bodywork, I can do myself when I have a place to spray, so unless I need body parts, now you're getting into my labor as the big expenditure. A Truetrac I can buy, then have a shop install later to spread out costs.

The tonneau is the only 1 to require effort on my part to go get, & that's just so I get a good deal. Everything else can be shipped, no muss, no fuss.

Ya, both the Snugtop SL & X2000 are pricey!!! Trust me, if I had a better feeling on the paintworthiness/ smooth texture of the Undercover, I'd buy it. Costs less, ships to me easy, & it's lite.
Thanks for such a thorough reply. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by FrEdDy
I just bought a Snuglid SL for my truck and it looks real smooth to me, I had a GemTop GT on my other truck, but I love the Snuglid SL more.
Where ya from? How much & where did ya get your SL from?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Houston, Tx. I got it from this truck accessories shop called Johnson's GT, only authorized dealer in Houston that sells Snugtop brand.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a ******** x2000 on my stepside. Great cover. Really nice fit and finish. The paint is dead on. As for weight, I would say around 100lbs. No way its anywhere near 200, don't even think 150 for that matter. Snuglid is just about the same cover, don't see where it could be any heavier or lighter for that matter. I have heard a few bad things about both, but many more good things. Like anything, sometimes things happen, and you always hear about the bad before the good. If between those 2, get whatever has the options you want and you can get the best price on.

For me, even shipped to the east coast, going directly through ******** was cheaper than any supplier at the time. I think I was just under $1300 shipped for mine, might have been under $1200.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02BlueStepside
I have a ******** x2000 on my stepside. Great cover. Really nice fit and finish. The paint is dead on. As for weight, I would say around 100lbs. No way its anywhere near 200, don't even think 150 for that matter. Snuglid is just about the same cover, don't see where it could be any heavier or lighter for that matter. I have heard a few bad things about both, but many more good things. Like anything, sometimes things happen, and you always hear about the bad before the good. If between those 2, get whatever has the options you want and you can get the best price on.

For me, even shipped to the east coast, going directly through ******** was cheaper than any supplier at the time. I think I was just under $1300 shipped for mine, might have been under $1200.
What bad things? I've only heard shippin damage & lock mechanism, & to a lesser extent, weight. What I hi-lighted from your quote in RED is so true.

IDK how long ago u bought yours, but that is a fantastic price, let alone shipped to east coast. Arrived free of damage too?
I always liked your truck. I saw only 1 pic of yours. BTW, do u race at all?

Reason is, I'm wondering if any stress cracks/ spider webbing will form in painted fiberglass from hard launches?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Blown 427 LSX

i can solve your problem... buy my snugtop sl!!!

remote open, new gas shocks... awesome condition. you can take a road trip out here (cali) and we can put it on at my shop.

hit me up.

Dave
Old 07-29-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
What bad things? I've only heard shippin damage & lock mechanism, & to a lesser extent, weight. What I hi-lighted from your quote in RED is so true.

IDK how long ago u bought yours, but that is a fantastic price, let alone shipped to east coast. Arrived free of damage too?
I always liked your truck. I saw only 1 pic of yours. BTW, do u race at all?

Reason is, I'm wondering if any stress cracks/ spider webbing will form in painted fiberglass from hard launches?
Have heard about paint finish issues on both. Like you said, the locks, and have also heard about shipment issues, but this can't be held against ******** or snugtop, only the carrier IMO since they are the ones handling the product. There have been a few other nit picky things I can't recall. But there are way more positives to each than the few negatives. IMO, they are both along the top of the line of fiberglass tonneau covers.

Has been a few years since I bought mine, was a great price then too from what I found. If there is a shop local, but one further out can get it cheaper, don't see where the local shop wouldn't match the price since they don't even do anything with the tonneau but place the order. Should be drop shipped to you anyways so they don't ever touch it. Would be stupid of them IMO to not match a price for such an easy sale. Like I said, I got the best price straight from ******** though.

I have other pics if interested, nothing direct of the tonneau, but plenty of shots that show it. It is very low profile and fits the lines of the truck perfect. No, haven't ran it. Don't run my mustang either, but it has a few cracks and spider webs in the paint on the fiberglass cowl. Would say that is more of an issue from the painter than the hood/tonneau though.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by usabodyguard
Ii can solve your problem... buy my snugtop sl!!!

remote open, new gas shocks... awesome condition. you can take a road trip out here (cali) and we can put it on at my shop.

hit me up.

Dave
Dave, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had the time off from work. For a few reasons among others.
1) It's yours, so I know it was well-taken of.
2)see your Shop & the "Garage Queen".
3)see Spoolin's project, so that way I have excuse to see his hot neighbors that he won't post pics of.
4)Visit CA, for it's hotties & meet some of my friends from PT

Originally Posted by 02BlueStepside
Have heard about paint finish issues on both. Like you said, the locks, and have also heard about shipment issues, but this can't be held against ******** or snugtop, only the carrier IMO since they are the ones handling the product. There have been a few other nit picky things I can't recall. But there are way more positives to each than the few negatives. IMO, they are both along the top of the line of fiberglass tonneau covers.

I have other pics if interested, nothing direct of the tonneau, but plenty of shots that show it. It is very low profile and fits the lines of the truck perfect. No, haven't ran it. Don't run my mustang either, but it has a few cracks and spider webs in the paint on the fiberglass cowl. Would say that is more of an issue from the painter than the hood/tonneau though.
True, & their prices reflect that. Ya, I just wanted some pics of yours in general, cause, like I said before, it's has always been a favorite of mine.

Last edited by fastnblu; 07-29-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: & to visit CA

Quick Reply: Snugtop tonneau? ... also Gaylord, Undercover come in