Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some artwork for an SS buddy

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MorepowerTY
Thanks, but the skulls are almost the same as the godsmack logo. That's just the way he wanted it. I just made them look like they bursting out of the fire. Like this photo below. As fas for the raised letters, they are such a pain to sand off, because when you do that, you open up a can of worms. That's why I tell everyone NOT to sand on the covers, it makes things worse. They may look good when all sanded and smooth, but when you put the primer and paint on them, all the material that has been sanded stands up like it's fiberglass. It's such a pain to cover all that. It must be the material that they are made from. I sanded my own 3 piece covers, and man was it pain!! I had put as much as 5 coats of epoxy primer then the paint to cover everything. I'll never do that again. If someone does do that, then they would have to be prepped with a filler over top, then it would be ok. But that takes a ton of time.
Terry
Terry,
It does look good..
However, this is the only time I might agree with someone else on this, so bear with me.
sanding them smooth would have looked better and yes, its a pain to do, but in the end, primer, color coat and clearcoat do lay nicely on them.
take mine for example..

Sanded very smooth .. i mean these feel as sooth, no, smoother than the paint on the metal.
As far as the top "ribs", you cannot sand them off.. they are rather integrated with the hidden bolt supports that hold the covers slighly off the intake.

Now that said.. you got some mad skillz with that airbrush man.. makes me want to pick up a daggar from my employer!

Last edited by bonj87; 10-22-2009 at 04:06 PM. Reason: different picture
Old 10-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

There ya go
Old 10-22-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the props guys. Yes you can sand on them, but I won't do it. It takes way to much time for me to do. As a painter, I can still make them look tremdenous without doing it. I never knew that the lettering was attached like that. That's good to know for the future. Here's a couple of pics of the ones I just posted, but only in a shady area. It's also in how you paint and clear too. Take note of the clear coat, it's only 2 coats. If I were to put 3-4, then it would be extremely shiner. I do all my work this way, except on cars or trucks, then I'll put 4-5 coats of clear, cut, sand and buff.
Terry

Old 10-22-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it does look good. the letters arent attached like that. .the 'ribs' on the TOP are part of the underlying support
Old 10-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Blown 427 LSX

It all boils down to how much you want to spend in time and money on a project that will make it different and one-off... for what you did, it looks awesome, and very very close to the original artwork, kudos.
Im sure the guy was more than happy... but the bottom line is your airbrush skills are great, and with the right canvas, metaphorically speaking, I am sure you could paint anything awesome.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some of you have given me PM's requesting a candy blue flame sample, so here it is. I haven't cleared or anything. It's just a sample, but it will look 10 times bluer and clearer when done.
Terry

Old 10-25-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

those are some good looking engine covers
Old 03-31-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice work homey
Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict