SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound dampening material... Dynamat, B-Quiet, others

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive tried dynomat. It is good for small rattles but that is about it. Also, we put peel and seal on some of our buildings, and it is minimal at reducing noise too. If you want to deaden sound you will have to use something thick. Think of it like the stuff under the carpet in your truck already, it helps out a bunch, but in the rear on the wall theres not any, and that is where a lot of your noise is coming from.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Reaper
Ive tried dynomat. It is good for small rattles but that is about it. Also, we put peel and seal on some of our buildings, and it is minimal at reducing noise too. If you want to deaden sound you will have to use something thick. Think of it like the stuff under the carpet in your truck already, it helps out a bunch, but in the rear on the wall theres not any, and that is where a lot of your noise is coming from.
Dynamat or Dynamat Extreme? Dynamat Extreme is the chitfor deadening, I've used it and Brown Bread, Dynamat works better IMO.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick99Chevy
Dynamat or Dynamat Extreme? Dynamat Extreme is the chitfor deadening, I've used it and Brown Bread, Dynamat works better IMO.

I cant remember which one exactly. Dynomat was written in blue if that helps. It did nothing as far as sound deadening goes, although it did stop rattles and vibration pretty good. This was in a 93 mustang gt hatchback. I ended up putting thick house insulation behind the panels and that did a dang good job, it cut the noise down tremendously.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Reaper
I cant remember which one exactly. Dynomat was written in blue if that helps. It did nothing as far as sound deadening goes, although it did stop rattles and vibration pretty good. This was in a 93 mustang gt hatchback. I ended up putting thick house insulation behind the panels and that did a dang good job, it cut the noise down tremendously.
Regular Dynamat is black with blue letters, it's pretty thin stuff. Dynamat Extreme is alot thicker and it's shiny with black lettering.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be cautious about using Peel & Seal, it can smell horribly. I know a few guys on termpro forums that have complained of the strong asphault smell from it. I'm going to buy a little to try myself. As for the floor, I'm going to add a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of thick closed cell matt to go between the SD and the carpet. I've done this a few times for other's rides and it's the best thing you can do. SD is good, the matt is what really helps. Good luck, boot :burn
Old 03-13-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Oh yeah, and I know that some guys also use Rhino lining or Line-X for their floors. Line-X and matt works well also. Can be more PITA than matt but can have cleaner results if done right.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I've used B-Quiet in the past and it works well, though you'll need a good deal of it. It's a good product and cheap. I tried Dynasplat years ago and it worked like B-Quiet but too $$$
Old 03-14-2004, 02:15 AM
Teching In

I am new to the forum, so bear with me.
But I can shed a little light on this topic.
I had a 2002 GMC jimmy that I covered with Dynamat Extreme (3 of the bulk packs@36 sq. feet per pack)and it did a great job for sound deadening. It cost me a small fortune, but that rattlely S-10 style truck sounded like a Mercedez at 80mph on the highway when I was done. But I would set aside about a whole day just to apply whatever you go with.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AVguy0368
I am new to the forum, so bear with me.
But I can shed a little light on this topic.
I had a 2002 GMC jimmy that I covered with Dynamat Extreme (3 of the bulk packs@36 sq. feet per pack)and it did a great job for sound deadening. It cost me a small fortune, but that rattlely S-10 style truck sounded like a Mercedez at 80mph on the highway when I was done. But I would set aside about a whole day just to apply whatever you go with.

Welcome to the party man!

Deadening is great but ain't cheap. Highly recommended if you have the cash. You think your truck is noisy, ride in my WRX for a day...you'll have a new definition of cheap.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

where are some places you would put the Dynamat in an EC? mine seems to rattle everywhere. would you put it in these places?

- driver and passenger doors
- rear pillars and doors
- under rear window

let me know if i left anything out. are you supposed to put it on the ceiling too? i hope not, that might be a PITA. i would think it would have enough dampening there already

Quick Reply: Sound dampening material... Dynamat, B-Quiet, others