Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Rating for Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Rating for Tires

Hey tire experts I need some advice. I have had 2 sets of the Toyo Proxies S/T - I Loved them, but couldn't get the mileage out of them. I know a guy at a local shop that can get me a deal on some Falken tires. The cash is tight and they have a 50,000 mile warranty, but they are H rated. My concern is I have never rally heard anyone talk about Falken, so I need some input on what to exspect performance wise. The speed rating also concerns me. I like to go fast and keep it over 110 MPH a couple times a week. Do I need to stay with a "V" rated tire? I can also get a set of Khumo for a good price(Little more, with no warranty) and they are "V" rated. What is your opinion if you have the first hand exsperiance to have owned a set of either? Tire size is 305/50/20
Thanks in advance,
Old 09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, Falken's are pretty fine tires and they should last for quite a while!! Plus you cant go wrong with a 50K mile warranty! . Another thing if they are "H" rated that means it can go up to 130mph!! I dont belive you need "V" rated tires those go up to 149mph and like you mentioned they do cost more!!
Only if you plan on going faster than 110mph ZR, H, and V rated tires will
definietly work for you. R rated should also work they go up to 106mph!!

Another thing if he can give a deal on the Falken's, GO FOR It!! They are good tires IMO!!! 305/50/20's are a nice choice but make sure you get the right Offset for that wide of a tire!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go for the Falkens. I've had the Kumho's and the don't last, 30K miles!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I switch over to Falkens Ziex ST/4. The ride quality is good. General wet traction is great. The size I went with was P255/65R16. I wanted a smaller tire (29") and keep the same tire width. However, the tire width includes the ream bead. And the actuall contact patch is smaller than the stock Generals. Kinda feels like you are always on a rail. The truck is now very sensitive to steering. My wife doesn't care for it to much. I kinda like it myself, keeps you more aware while driving.

Regardless of which tire you go with, always look at the specifications in regards to size/width and do not rely strictly on the metric rating.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver-Dollar
I switch over to Falkens Ziex ST/4. The ride quality is good. General wet traction is great. The size I went with was P255/65R16. I wanted a smaller tire (29") and keep the same tire width. However, the tire width includes the ream bead. And the actuall contact patch is smaller than the stock Generals. Kinda feels like you are always on a rail. The truck is now very sensitive to steering. My wife doesn't care for it to much. I kinda like it myself, keeps you more aware while driving.

Regardless of which tire you go with, always look at the specifications in regards to size/width and do not rely strictly on the metric rating.

Both moregrip and I have what are advertised as 305/50-20's, but my tread width is greater.....I have another inch of rubber on the road that he does (11.1" for the BFG's vs. 12.4 for the Kumhos).
Old 09-13-2005, 10:09 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Nali
Hey tire experts I need some advice. I have had 2 sets of the Toyo Proxies S/T - I Loved them, but couldn't get the mileage out of them. I know a guy at a local shop that can get me a deal on some Falken tires. The cash is tight and they have a 50,000 mile warranty, but they are H rated. My concern is I have never rally heard anyone talk about Falken, so I need some input on what to exspect performance wise. The speed rating also concerns me. I like to go fast and keep it over 110 MPH a couple times a week. Do I need to stay with a "V" rated tire? I can also get a set of Khumo for a good price(Little more, with no warranty) and they are "V" rated. What is your opinion if you have the first hand exsperiance to have owned a set of either? Tire size is 305/50/20
Thanks in advance,
Goodyear makes falken tires if i remember right, they are a quality tire, I would not hesitate to use them. As long as they are speed rated for your intended use you should be just fine. Another nice thing about falken tires is they come with a nice rubber wheel protection bead, in case you tap a curb from time to time