SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel hoods with heat extractors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:04 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steel hoods with heat extractors?

Anyone make a good stock-looking steel hood with functional heat extractors? Need something to get the turbo heat out from the engine bay. I don't want fiberglass or composite, and I don't want a scoop on the front. A little bit of a cowl shape would be ok, but nothing drastic. What's out there?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:51 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Goodmarks and the Reflexxions are functional, and popular.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 AM
High on diesel fumes

I looked at both but don't see any with heat extractors......
Old 03-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Import Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well goodmark makes em, but i think they only have em for 88-98
Old 03-06-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't mean to sound stupid but what exactly do you mean by heat extractor? Are you just looking for a functional type of hood with openings on the underside that go to the outside?

I have a reflexxion cowl hood and it has an opening on the underside of it that will vent the hot air through the cowl. I would recommend it to you for what you are looking for.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:52 PM
High on diesel fumes

Yeah I was thinking actual openings through the hood, but I read another thread where some cowl hoods are for induction and some are for heat extraction, so it sounds like just a normal cowl hood designed for extraction rather than induction would be the way to go.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

I think cowl hoods were originally designed as an air intake system. To take advantage of the low pressure area at the base of the windshield . The only time you would see any heat extraction would at a stop or really slow speed. Some louvers of some type would probably be more affective .
Ron
Old 03-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Launching!

I have the Reflexions steel cowl on my truck and it is functional. But it is for intake air coming in and not really designed to be for heat extracting. But none the less it is still a geat looking hood.. lol

Bill
Old 03-06-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RERICK
I think cowl hoods were originally designed as an air intake system. To take advantage of the low pressure area at the base of the windshield . The only time you would see any heat extraction would at a stop or really slow speed. Some louvers of some type would probably be more affective .
Ron
You are 110% right Ron. I believe GM even advertised the cowl hood with that exact same wording to describe how it worked. There is one thing different though. There is not an air cleaner sealed to the underside of the hood at the opening. Without the opening being blocked, the hot air should vent throught the cowl while stopped or at a slow speed (like you said). At speed, air will enter through the front of the truck and push out wherever it can. There should be no reason why the cowl would not help vent the hot pressurized air from underneath the hood. I know the cowl hood was not originally designed to be used in this particular manner but it should do the trick.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboJohn6
You are 110% right Ron. I believe GM even advertised the cowl hood with that exact same wording to describe how it worked. There is one thing different though. There is not an air cleaner sealed to the underside of the hood at the opening. Without the opening being blocked, the hot air should vent throught the cowl while stopped or at a slow speed (like you said). At speed, air will enter through the front of the truck and push out wherever it can. There should be no reason why the cowl would not help vent the hot pressurized air from underneath the hood. I know the cowl hood was not originally designed to be used in this particular manner but it should do the trick.
This is what I was thinking when I put mine on. My underhood temps usually are low too.

Quick Reply: Steel hoods with heat extractors?