Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Streaking on door windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I have them too, on the outside (not in the tint). I think mine is from dirt being in the window molding.

Maybe wet sanding them??
they have those restore kits for windshields so i dont see why it wouldnt work on the side glass. i dont reember the name of it but i seen it on Trucks or one of those shows.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onebad03
dirt can get caught in the belt moldings and cause fine scratches that look like streaks. there vertical streaks right?
Belt moldings? I'm not familiar w/. that term, is there another name for it?

Originally Posted by Atomic
yep, dirt caught in the seal
I agree.

Scott, I have them occur from time to time. I don't have an applied tint except the light tint from factory. I agree, & think mine is from dirt being in the window molding. The window molding seals real tight against glass on our trucks. At least compared to my 89 c1500 & older stuff I've had. A lil dirt gets betw. that & glass. Next thing ya know, streaks that appear as sort of a grease line. I call it that, cause I can wipe it w/. my finger.

As to those glass kits to repair scratches, IIRC, u don't want your fingernail to catch on scratch. That's not good. If nail catches, it won't work w/. that kit, it takes another, more aggresssive deep scratch kit for more aggressive scratches.

Read this too!
NOTE: Since these abrasives remove glass, keep the glass wet with water, and keep the spinning abrasives moving across entire surface to avoid heat build-up and optical distortion that can occur during glass scratch removal.
This Scratch Removal Kit generates silica dust. It is imperative that the user and anyone in the area wear appropriate respiratory protection.

My best advice. As soon as your side windows have this "streaking" occur, wash windows or use whatever window / glass cleaner u prefer. Cause if u don't, it inevitably puts permanent scratches into side windows.

I told my sis-law & bros. about the importance of keepin their side windows clean if this occurs after I learned of this some time ago. They know tell me they have scratches.

To reitereate, if I'm correctly understanding what you're seeing, keep em clean or minimize rollin em down when dirty.

I've seen this on mine, so I stay on it. I have only 1 fine scratch & it was most caused by my winter ice scraper comin down at an angle (not vertical) & catching a piece of abrasive item that left scratch. Good luck.

Last edited by fastnblu; 06-20-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=fastnblu;4483854]Belt moldings? I'm not familiar w/. that term, is there another name for it?

its the black molding at the base of the window. thats the only name i know it by.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:50 PM
The House is Rockin'

i have them also, ahh who cares! i drive with my windows down all the time anyways.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onebad03
...its the black molding at the base of the window. thats the only name i know it by.
Brain fart I guess.
Thought that's what u meant, just wasn't sure. I know older cars had what they called window fuzzies, & their are other terms that describe parts in that general area. I think the soft, window fuzzies have been replaced by a harder, rubber wiper that fits against side windows ; allows a tighter seal to keep out moisture & provide a tight seal for wind noise. While it may benefit those things, it's only downside I can see is this streaking.

I went to the track a few times this yr. They put shoe polish onto side window. Not thinkin, I rolled it down too far before I went, Oops! So I had a flaky, dry white residue at belt molding. Easiest fix is to roll window all way down & wipe off w/. something other than a paper towel. Old cloth / cotton rag works.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Mine had that on the driver side... I used Mothers Chrome Polish and it got rid of it. After that Ive just been makeing sure the window seal area stays clean everytime I wash the truck.