Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Tahoe is Getting Painted

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Tahoe is Getting Painted

I broke down and dropped the Tahoe off yesterday to get it repainted. The clear coat had just totally peeled off in a lot of places and whoever did body work on it before did a terrible job. I'm going to have the body work re-done and fix some of the dings on it.
I decided to keep it relatively stock looking since this is my DD. Although, I'm going to shave the emblems, have the front bumper cap painted, the rear bumper painted, Street Scene vent caps painted to match and I'm going to have the running boards painted, sort of like the Denali's. I almost totally ditched the running boards, but since I decided against lowering it much (2" drop in the rear to come) I thought they would look alright. The girlfriend appreciates them too.

Here are a few before pics. They actually make it look not too bad, but keep in mind these were taken about a year ago and the clear coat problem has gotten MUCH worse. It has now spread to the roof and doors as well.

Since these pics were taken, I've added color matched handles with billet handles, a speed grill, billet bowtie, and clear corners. I'm also going to add the Corsa tips I have as well. If I can pick up a set of rear LED taillights before it gets out, I think I'm going to have them smoked and installed just to complete the whole new look. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress, as well as snap a few pics.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Man, I'm sorry to hear about the clearcoat failure - that is horrible. Any idea as to the cause? All the best with the paintwork - the additional work you're having done is going to look awesome!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

i almost wish i didnt take such good care of my paint (waxing 1-2 times a week) cuz i need a good excuse to have mine repainted. good luck, i think it'll look greta when your finished, i look forward to the pics.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like my truck in places, i peeled a section off of my tail gate about 5"x5", thank goodness it was on the inside of the tail gate, but I know I could do it on the outside as well along with the the bottom of the doors. Sorry for the hijack, are you keeping it stock colour?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

its rare to see such clearcoat failure on a late model vehicle. i would hate to see that on my hood!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

That's an 02? Did it get washed with bleach?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

I'm just going back with the stock gray. I like the way the color looks and doing a complete color swap would just be too much money to justify spending on my DD.
As for the clear coat, I'm not sure what happened. When I first bought it back about 2 years ago, it had small spots on it, but I was getting it on the cheap because of it, so I was okay with it. I had plans on getting it painted shortly after I bought it, but I didn't expect it to get this bad that quick. I'll try to go down to the shop and get pics of how bad it is now.
I think there were two things that led to it though. It had some bad body work done in some places, and I think poor prep contributed to the bad finish in those places. This only accounts for some of the places, because the clear coat mess is happening on the hood, roof and the top of the doors. I know this whole thing wasn't re-painted before. Also, the guy I bought it from works at a chemical plant in Houston and also lives near them. He didn't seem like a "car guy" and probably didn't take care of the finish the way he should have in those conditions, thus leading to the disappearing clear coat.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 773 Likes on 639 Posts

Although Mine is not as bad, I have the same issue on the roof and hood of my 00 silverado. Also starting on the tops of the bed sides. I believe it was just buffed to much making it thin and more suseptable to failure... I bought it used in 02. BTW mines Indigo Metalic Blue.... for now I have sprayed some clear in a can over it to keep it from getting worse. I will repaint it in the next few months...
Old 06-29-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any updates Big Tap?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, this thing is worlds worse than I thought. The roof is totally jacked and it just seems to get worse daily the more my body man digs into it. Whoever did the body work on this thing the first time around; I'd like to punch them in the face. It was almost as if they took a semester of auto shop class in high school and decided it qualified them to fix this thing.
It's going to be done correctly this time and nobody will most likely never know that anything had ever happened to it, but it just pisses me off that someone would go to such lengths to do such God awful work. I have more pictures, but for some reason my Photobucket account won't let me log in. As soon as I can, I'll post some more pictures up. I'll be glad when I have the 'Hoe all painted and on the road again. Driving the garage queen with no AC in a Texas summer...FTL!

Quick Reply: The Tahoe is Getting Painted