SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Tahoe is Getting Painted

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever think about doing a carfax on it? I don't know how into detail they go in reporting specifically what happened, but maybe it'll shed some light on what caused all that. I know that finding out what happened to it won't change where it is now, but I'm interested in hearing what actually happened to it. An overpass could cause that if it was on the back of a truck, or maybe a thick tree limb... like if he was offroading and got it wedged on the driverside... I dunno. Well, at least your putting the effort forth and getting it fixed the right way.

Hope it all works out for ya and I'd suggest looking into the carfax thing, you never know it might just tell you what happened.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 773 Likes on 639 Posts

Gotta love it... Just when you think those don't exist any more and wham you find something like that... How Is it being repaired? Is that section going to be replaced? You said there was some other damage on the car that you knew about too? How does that repaired area look?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

I actually did a Carfax report on it, and it came back completely clean. No reports of ANY kind of accident. The guy I bought it from mentioned that it had been driven under a low overhang and scraped the front of the roof and damaged the windshield, but that it wasn't bad and had been fixed. Obviously Pinnocchio wasn't exactly telling the truth since I found holes near the D pillar. If I had known the extent, I would have run away quickly.
Yeah, everything is going to be welded, hammered and re-shaped. It's probably going to look better than it did from the factory, but I really didn't want to dive into a project like this on my DD. Live and learn I guess...
Old 07-10-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Huh... thats weird with that much damage nothing would show up on a carfax report. Oh well, at least it's getting the bodywork done right and your going through with it the whole way. When it's done you'll sleep better at night. Again, good luck!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by MikeZQ8SS
Huh... thats weird with that much damage nothing would show up on a carfax report. Oh well, at least it's getting the bodywork done right and your going through with it the whole way. When it's done you'll sleep better at night. Again, good luck!
Carfax can only Shows what's been reported. If you take your truck out Rock crawling and smash it all to hell Then go home and Fix it in your back yard or take it to chewy's Salvage repair. THere is no record of it being fixed or even wrecked. if you call the insurance company to file a claim Then there is a record of it. Also If the police come out and Take a report at the scene of an accedent There will be a record of it as the report it to The states DMV.

I worked at A Body shop and a car came in with Water damage.... I Noticed it was covered in bondo but didn't think any thing of it. As I tore the car down to get the Interior out so it could be cleaned, I notice the car had been sectioned together very poorly. I had the boss come out and look at it since we had to document it so we could not be held liable for the damage. The car had a whole side put on it and it was brased on. You could actually see the joint since they didn't paint over it. There was also a lot of hidden damage. After contacting the owner she said her brother borrowed the car and had it down in mexico But was not aware of any accedints. We showed her the damage and explained How dangerous it was to drive a car Like that since it was not repaired correctly. We also notified the Insurance company and there was no record of the car ever being wrecked Here. But since we documented it and notified the insurance company There is now a record of it having prior damage.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO I would just replace the roof... I believe the entire roof is basically just glued on.... There is a seam right where you bondoing, at least there was on the previous body style... I had to remove on once at the shop I worked at, it wasn't that bad, just took some time...
Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1FastBrick, I completely agree with what you said, but with that much work done it just blows my mind that someone would pay out of pocket to fix what was back then a brand new tahoe, not that it's old really, but for a newer car for the owner to not report it and have the insurance cover it cracks me up... I'm sure your right and that's what happened, but christ... if that happened to my truck I'd just bite the bullet and have the insurance take care of it for me instead of paying out of my own pocket, hell that's what insurance is for lol
Old 07-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Well along with there being a record of the accident the value of a wrecked car is much less...

BTW Doesn't Carfax have a Garunty if you buy a car after using there service first and it turns out to be wrecked They will buy it back?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Just an update:

After much hammering, welding and sanding, the roof is starting to look like a roof again. I'll post some pics as soon as I have a chance to take some. The new idea I have is to install an SS bumper on it now. Thoughts? See my thread on this here in Show & Shine.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

holy crap...good luck and im glad your doing it right!

Quick Reply: The Tahoe is Getting Painted