Sponsored by:

The Tahoe is Getting Painted

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 773 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Tap
Just an update:

After much hammering, welding and sanding, the roof is starting to look like a roof again. I'll post some pics as soon as I have a chance to take some. The new idea I have is to install an SS bumper on it now. Thoughts? See my thread on this here in Show & Shine.
No pictures nof the progress???
Old 07-26-2008, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
No pictures nof the progress???
I know, I'm lazy. I work in baseball, so when we have games going on, it's tough to get over there and get pictures. Hopefully I'll make it over there in the next day or two and post some up.

Thanks for the support and comments guys. Should be nice when it's finished!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Another Update:

Here are a few shots I took today of the roof reconstruction. The holes that were previously there have been welded up and the roof rack is now officially shaved. It's coming along nicely and should be completed in the next few days. The doors come off tomorrow to put the new hinges on and to be realigned. If all goes as scheduled, I might start getting some paint on there by next week.
I decided to go ahead with the SS front bumper and am still in search of a Tahoe Z71 bumper to color match the rear. It should bring everything together really nice. Onto the pics:

Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Another pic of the carnage. It doesn't look like it, but we're getting real close to paint now.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Good deal!!! I don't wanna sound like a dick, but Make sure they check the rear glass in the opening before they paint it.... I am sure they do good work but if your dropping that kinda cash for the work and new paint make sure it's right. Even the best Make a mistake every now and again.

If you were closer I would show you on my Burban. Now Granted Mine was painted for free, There is a few flaws That iritate the hell out of me. Dont get me wrong, The guy can lay down the Paint nice. However they used Cheap primer and I told them I had no problem buying the good stuff. We fixed a few spots spots here and there with a glasing putty and the looked great. but the cheap primer shrank at the edges and if you look close enough you can see The low spot. I am greatfull they let me use there shop to fix it and that they painted for me when they had the extra time. But I would not have hesitated to throw some extra cash out to have it Perfect. I even offered to pay but they wouldn't take my cash. They were Happy I fixed up some of there broken equipment and located some Old car parts for one of there customers cars.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tip. It's coming along nicely. I don't have pictures of it, but he actually pulled the glass and fixed everything that was wrong around it. That's why if you look in the pictures, it's taped in there for added security until it is properly reinstalled.
From what I can tell, he's doing everything the right way and it should look nice. He's still trying to convince me to do ghost flames on it. He'd do them for free because he's trying to show off his work and drum up business, but I don't know if I want anything flashy on my DD. If I did them, I might put them on the lower portion of my doors. I'm still leaning towards not doing it though.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Haven't posted up any new pics in a while, but here's a pic I snapped yesterday with my phone. It's taking a little longer than I expected, but the finished product will no doubt be worth the wait. Still trying to decide if I'm going to put ghost flames on the bottoms of the doors or not. Kinda on the fence still about it. He would do it for free, but I don't know if I'm up for that much flash on my DD. I'll keep you guys posted!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Must only be working on it in there spare time... Were did you buy your ss bumper from?

As for the flames, My old instructor did that on his 99 Tahoe. Was a dd too!!! Looked good but he had to park it way out in the boonies every time he went some were. some one would still manage to pull up right next to it and put door dings in it. His wife hated all the extra attention she got because of them. Just food for thought.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya... I think I'd shy away from doing ghost flames on it personally. With the SS bumper and fresh paint it's going to be easy enough to keep it clean and good looking, you don't really need flames to set it off... sometimes stuff like that can kinda detract from the overall look. It's up to you and what you want, but for me I don't think I'd do it.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Yes, he's doing it in his spare time. He quit his normal job because his Mom has cancer. He has to take care of her at home and take her to doctors appointments and what not. He has kept me updated on everything every step of the way. Even though it's taking a little bit more time, I feel good about it knowing that it's being done right. I've had some bad jobs done before and that sucks!
I think I bought the bumper from Stylin' Trucks, but I don't remember. I know they sell it though. I bought a lot of parts all at once from different places and just put them away until I was ready to have everything painted.

Quick Reply: The Tahoe is Getting Painted