SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire shine

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:11 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't found a tire shine that I "love" yet...I've tried a few different ones and they all seem to do the same thing. They make the tire look great, but splash all over your paint Guess I'll try the Meguiar's stuff when whatever stuff I have now runs out, I've had great results with their other products so far
Old 05-04-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Adam's VRT (vinyl, rubber, tire). The main thing I like about it is it goes on wet looking, but not wet so it doesn't sling up on your paint. Most tire shine stuff will eat you paint after a while. I know that the Eagle 1 product I use to use did.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For anyone having problems with tire shine slinging onto your paint: How are you applying it? Try applying a light coat using a tire swipe and work it into the tire. If you want more shine wait 10-15 minutes and apply another light coat, working it into the tire. Using this method as opposed to spray on and walk away method most mfgs reccommend will at the minimum greatly reduce sling.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frito Bandito
For anyone having problems with tire shine slinging onto your paint: How are you applying it? Try applying a light coat using a tire swipe and work it into the tire. If you want more shine wait 10-15 minutes and apply another light coat, working it into the tire. Using this method as opposed to spray on and walk away method most mfgs reccommend will at the minimum greatly reduce sling.
I think a lot of the problem is the consistency of the products used. Everything out there is a spray and is thus very liquid. VRT is like a lotion and thus, does not sling off the tire unless you dump the bottle on the tire.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
I think a lot of the problem is the consistency of the products used. Everything out there is a spray and is thus very liquid. VRT is like a lotion and thus, does not sling off the tire unless you dump the bottle on the tire.
Actually the thinner products are usually less likely to sling because they soak into the tire. The gels are most likely to sling but applied properly the usually don't. This is another reason preparing the tire is important, if the old tire shine/dirt/grime is removed from the tire the dressing can penetrate the rubber better.

Another good option, especially for guys with higher profile tires, is Armor All Tire Foam. It's good stuff and the cleaning it does can come in handy if you don't have time to really clean your tires.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frito Bandito
Actually the thinner products are usually less likely to sling because they soak into the tire. The gels are most likely to sling but applied properly the usually don't. This is another reason preparing the tire is important, if the old tire shine/dirt/grime is removed from the tire the dressing can penetrate the rubber better.

Another good option, especially for guys with higher profile tires, is Armor All Tire Foam. It's good stuff and the cleaning it does can come in handy if you don't have time to really clean your tires.
I have never seen any kind of spray soak into the tires. The only thing I've seen it soak into is my paint.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

The Hot shine is kick ***..
Old 05-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JennaBear
I like the Black Magic Tire Cleaner/Shine (foam). Smells good too!
Your not supposed to huff it..
Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 PM
The House is Rockin'

i dont know if any of you guys have used it, but the tire shine from the dollar tree is the best tire shine i have seen. it gives you a real dark black look, its not shiny tho if thats what your lookin for....
Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

so what do you guys use to clean the crap off the tires beforehand then?

Quick Reply: tire shine