SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truckin' photo shoot...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Mark! That article was pretty sweet! I like the story, wasn't half bad and he did a good job explaining everything you've done to it.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
For any detailing junkies, below is a summary of the detail just prior to the shoot. Back in February I did the paint correction work. Mark deserves kudos for keeping his truck in good shape. All along this has been my kind of detail. Those who enjoy this process know there are two types - one where you shake your head and think about how much work you have to do to fix things, and the other where you just lick your chops and think of what you can do to make the truck look HAPPY. Anyway, here's the write-up. I'll keep it intact since (a) I'm lazy, and (b) you guys all know Rick and Mark. I will just say that it will come as no surprise to any of you that Rick is one hell of a detailer too...he's a brave man with that rotary machine.

------

The great thing about this detail was that the heavy lifting - the vast majority of paint correction - was already done. Even better, the photo shoot was delayed by a day, giving us even more time to get things perfect. Also working in our favor was my stepson - some grunt labor to make things go faster and easier. Finally...working in Rick's shop...life doesn't get any better as a detailer. Plenty of room, ample lighting, good music, and tons of laughs.

So, for those interested, here's the products & process to make Mark's truck look happy for Truckin'.

FRIDAY
  • Poorboys Bio APC on wheels, tires, wells, & bars
  • Wash w/ Duragloss 901
  • More APC on side & rear windows (to ensure grease-free finish for decals)
  • Flood rinse, dry w/ jelly blade & waffle weave MF towel
Back inside, we got to work.
  • Menzerna SIP + yellow - spot polishing on roof & one spot on the hood.
  • Menzerna IP + orange on roof & hood
  • Menzerna FPII + white on roof, hood, & tailgate
  • Menzerna IP (hand w/ terry applicator) on wheels & nerf bars
  • Menzerna FPII (hand w/ terry) on grille shell & insert
  • Menzerna FMJ on roof, hood, tailgate, wheels, bars, & grille
  • Poorboy's Natural Look (NL) + MF on tonneu cover
  • Zaino Z16 on tires, bumper pad, nerf bar pads, & wheel wells - two light coats, followed by a buff w/ MF towel
  • Poorboys S&W + MF on windows
  • Einszett Cockpit Pro on interior finishes
  • Pinnacle Souveran on entire finish
The results?

And then...the photo shoot was delayed due to rain. So, we put on a second coat of Souveran on the hood, roof, & tailgate, and called it an evening.

SATURDAY
  • Poorboy's S&W + MF towel to remove dust & light grime from previous afternoon's tuning/testing runs
  • Pinnacle Souveran on entire finish, nerf bars, & grille
  • Zaino Z16 on tires, pads, & wells - one light coat + buff
... It'll be worth picking up a copy of Truckin' to see that thing in print. Anyway...
  • Poorboy's S&W + MF towel to remove road grime
  • Pinnacle Souveran on entire finish - one last light coat for wetness
  • Buff on tires, pads, & wells w/ Z16 residue towel
  • OOPS! With the wheels cranked, we took S&W and Z16 to the insides of the splash guards...something we didn't catch at the shop
  • Einszett Cockpit Pro + MF on interior surfaces
Bada boom. The photographer gave us the thumbs-up, so I grabbed my camera and just enjoyed the photo shoot...fun watching a professional photographer doing his thing. (For fellow DSLR junkies, he used a Canon EOS 5D with a 24/75mm lens, and somewhat surprisingly shoots only .jpeg.)

Here are some of my shots from the shoot...

Finally, some impressions.

Pinnacle Souveran is totally as good as advertised. This stuff costs $80 per jar, and while I didn't write the check for this one, I will be buying a jar of my own soon. I've mentioned before that silver birch is difficult to make look great. The color isn't particularly brilliant, and there's not a lot of metallic content to make it pop. Don't get me wrong - I love it - but it's not easy to make it pop or look really reflective. Souveran, at least in my opinion, takes care of that. I've never seen silver birch look so wet and reflective. Obviously, no wax will compensate for a poorly prepped finish. Mark deserves kudos for this - he's always taken great care of the truck, so the polishing effort wasn't difficult. Plus, we had the luxury of extra time, which also helped. On chrome & stainless, I love the combination of IP & FMJ. I haven't used any metal polishes in months now.

Most of those names I've never heard of, but that's why u r the detailer. Good info & nice work! Some great photos u took too.

Originally Posted by 2005 Silverado

what month issue is it in?

Dustin
+1. ??
Originally Posted by trever1t
What does the article have to say about our lovely web forum??
That some r super post ******?

Last edited by fastnblu; 06-05-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHA, i was just looking through those pics, and as i was looking at the pics of you guys inside Rick's shop, i was like "dang that truck in the back on the hoist looks familiar." Than i looked at the license plate, and guess what its mine lol... After reading this thread though, i think i'm going to go buy some of that Manzerna wax.. I'm motivated to get my truck cleaned up . ..Your guy's trucks look awsome...... Keep up the good work...
Old 06-05-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wish miy truck would be on truckin someday
Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

^^ no chit....I don't rate!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

way cool mark congrats on getting the mag.

im hoping to get something similar soon.