Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want your tips on dressing up engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slpsilverado
Dude, your engine is freakin' sweet This is straight-up the best looking engine I've ever seen in a Silverado.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back to get all of that done?
Honestly I have no clue on the cost. I have a buddy that polishes for side work and I did some wrenching for him so it was kind of an even trade you can say. I would guess if you were outright have a business do it, it would most likely cost close to a 1k possibly??? That also includes what I havnt done yet which is the front cover and pan.

The covers and fluid caps I had custom made. Guy I know is a retired iron worker made those for me out of stainless then I had the other guy polish them for me. The a/c lines I did myself, along with a few other things that arent in the engine bay

Old 08-13-2010, 09:38 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok thats alot of bling
Old 08-13-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah that engine looks clean as hell!! mines not even detailed right now
Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quik
ok thats alot of bling
I like shiney things, what can I say lol

Although I do like your coil relocation you did and have thought about doing that awhile back.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned

Lol very nice!!!! I'm OCD also, just with less money to work with Lol. Love all the polished stuff.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4
Lol very nice!!!! I'm OCD also, just with less money to work with Lol. Love all the polished stuff
My problem, too. Love to get stuff, hate to pay for it! Makes me wonder what some people do for a living on here when they casually mention paying for stuff that has to be $5,000+. "Well, picked up my supercharger kit and new 6.2 today...next week going for something mild like 26s or switching to jet fuel..."

I have big aspirations, like fuzzy dice for my rear-view mirror !
Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slpsilverado
I have big aspirations, like fuzzy dice for my rear-view mirror !
haha, I hear ya.

This truck isnt my DD and rarely see's road time. Never seen rain, snow, or any weather for that matter. I just do things here and there and when I get it all I put it back together. Nothing new for it to be down for a good 3 months lol...specially in the winter months.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

Painted the top of the block up a lil bit and some of the front cover, what you will see anyway. Started painting the frame.....had my lil bro wash and polish all 4 rims lol so those are clean.....Need to knock some rust off the crank pulley so I can spray it. Started using the steel wool on the A/C lines, does a surprisingly good job at polishing stuff up.

Need to pull the front wheels and inner fenders to get to paint the frame rails good.

I'm getting nervous, my painter hasnt been answering his phone lately, he knows this truck is torn apart and I need everything back by sunday lol. Hopefully he'll stop by this afternoon and pick this stuff up. I know two other painters, but would rather give him the money.....

Old 08-13-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lookin good. I know a lot on the site might think its crazy but I appreciate what your doing. OCD sucks *** lmao
Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

Thanks! Comments like that keep me going.

Painter came by and picked all this stuff up THANK GOD I was getting nervous. Went ahead and painted the a/c compressor black to match the front cover, water pump, alt and alt bracket. On the upper radiator support, where the front cover sits, there is 2 6"-8" areas on each side where the cover doesnt "cover".....those areas were getting dull so I sanded and painted them satin black. Removed the steering shaft and painted it stain black, scrubbed some more wire loom, painted my trucool 40K satin black while I had the grille off cause I didnt do it before.....

Need to work some more on the A/C drier and lines. Need to find some sort of polish that will shine up the front of the heads.....I went ahead and removed the heat shields that bolt to the stock manifolds and sanded and painted them satin black hi-temp, It helped a lot, and will help out those ugly manifolds until I get my headers.

The valve covers I decided on a satin black also. So basically everything will be pewter, satin black.
This thing is really starting to come around, its getting spotless!

Of course everyone needs to realize that this is nothing compared to what I will be doing when the LS1 is ready to go in. Talk about OCD lol

Getting ready to paint the trucool

Quick Reply: Want your tips on dressing up engine bay