SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want your tips on dressing up engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just think man how nice this is all going to look when your done. But just a little more work and you can have that ls1 swapped in.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

If only the LS1 wasnt a bare block on the shelf lol. Theres a lot more that needs to happen before the LS1 swap. tranny, figure out my second G80 thats actin weird....

But I agree this thing should look ****. Its definetely one of the nicest in our county I've seen
Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow that turck was muddy before. Keep at it man, youll appreciate your own work moer then anyone else. Im in same boat as you. before my latest motor goes in im being **** about it. hell i bought stainless 12pt waterpump bolts, i bought stainless 12 pt intake bolts. the stockers were to dull looking for my painted motor. Im at point i need a starter anyways and thinking of buying a good aftermarket one cause my stocker is black.

once the ocd bug hits you it never leaves ya
Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

Thanks yeah see thats what I'm afraid of, that I'll have to have the best of everything before it gets put in. I already pay way too much attention to the small details. If you see something in the engine bay that you thought was missed, chances are I've seen it and am still figuring out how to fix it. Im doing the best I can with what I have. And yeah thats what I'm battling, a 9 yr old mud truck. Most that have 05s and up can just slap some shine on there and some painted pieces and be done with it. My 05 suburban is still immaculate under the hood and it has 100,000 miles on it. I might make a run to the local walmart tonight to check out their selection of wire loom, some of this just cant be saved.

While we are on the subject of my trucks history, heres a few shots of it....

When I bought it in early '06-was a pawpaw truck lol

Mudder

And this is over in ol Bens yard lol
Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That's one hell of a transformation man. I know you said it was paw paw truck but damn it's come a long way. With that kind of attention to detail that LS1 is gonna be an awesome project.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
That's one hell of a transformation man. I know you said it was paw paw truck but damn it's come a long way. With that kind of attention to detail that LS1 is gonna be an awesome project.
Hells yeah! Man I sometimes miss it being lifted.....Still have that redneck in me that wants to cover the truck in mud and drive it thru town like an ***...

Last pics of the night. Went and bought Walmart out of wire loom, and redid some of that mess under there. Want to try to find some bigger sizes tomorrow to do some of the main harness. Going to pull the nelson e-fan harness tomorrow and rework it, and re-route it....and a lot of that junk in there too. At least try to run them in a less "spaghetti bowl" way. This **** is wearing me out because I'm the only one doing the work, well I got my sidekick, my 14 yr old brother who I have to go pull off the playstation everytime I need somethin lol. When he goes back home I think I'll send that damn thing with him.....

Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

You said you need to figure out a polish for your a/c parts? Here is what I did. You seem as crazy as I am to do this so I figure I would share lol.......

Do you have access to a dremel?? I used mine with a stiff small polish wheel to be able to get into all the hard to get places. I took Mothers Billet Polish and smeered it all over then I took the dremel and went to town. I did this AFTER wet sanding.

I started with 600 grit paper with a bottle of water. Did that all the way up to 1000 or 1500 grit. Cleaned everything off, then did the dremel deal I mentioned above.

This is if you want a mirror finish like mine.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

Thanks for that info! I do have a dremel and I'll be finding some mothers polish
Old 08-14-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

They have a couple different ones. Get the one that says BILLET.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Banned

Finished the wiring harness, all new loom EXCEPT for the bigass one that feeds from the fusebox to the intake area, cant find anything that big.

Put a few things back in also, cleaned and reinstalled the coolant tank, the battery, the fusebox is all back in and bolted down, put the e-fans back in, put the passenger side valve cover and coils back on, all my painted **** should be back tomorrow evening.

Sanded a few things and started to polish up a bit, did the front of the heads but might redo them.....did a few inches of A/C line and half assed a small piece of the drier, still needs a lot of work but I can tell they will look BADASS when polished and done.

All new harness loom

Quick Reply: Want your tips on dressing up engine bay