SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what engine degreaser/underhood cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wash my truck almost weekly (interior, exterior and underhood) for a little over 3 yrs now and haven't ever had a problem with anything electrical. Ive used several different cleaners also. Simple green and a brush have worked best for me. I've also wondered about Adams engine cleaner. Just remember after you wash underhood that you start your truck so that way the engine heat dries everything.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can use a foaming tire shine to clean the engine compartment. Then rinse it off with a garden hose & air dry everything off with your compressor. Leaves everything looking nice.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skolman91
I meant the intake manifold of course, but i think you knew that.
If you cant spray the intake, coil packs, fuse box and ecm, what exactly are you spraying with a pressure washer?? I guess my point is it doesnt leave much except for the pass side fender well area..??
i spray my intake manifold every time i wash my engine bay. no problems at all.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by casey.shoemake
I wash my truck almost weekly (interior, exterior and underhood) for a little over 3 yrs now and haven't ever had a problem with anything electrical. Ive used several different cleaners also. Simple green and a brush have worked best for me. I've also wondered about Adams engine cleaner. Just remember after you wash underhood that you start your truck so that way the engine heat dries everything.
well thats good to hear

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
You can use a foaming tire shine to clean the engine compartment. Then rinse it off with a garden hose & air dry everything off with your compressor. Leaves everything looking nice.
im sure it leaves a sticky residue that attracts dirt?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not after you rinse it and blow it off. Not sticky. But it will attract dust after a couple weeks.

Looks like it just came out of a detail shop til then though.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gs7793
i spray my intake manifold every time i wash my engine bay. no problems at all.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=473447
maybe the picture at the beginning of the second post in this^ thread will change your mind, maybe not. just throwing it out there
If they (knock sensors) have already been sealed off good then sure i wouldnt hesitate as much to be getting the manifold wet..
Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

I use Autoglym Engine Cleaner & Degreaser to clean everything. Use a detailing brush to loosen up the tough grime. Hose off and dry w compressor.

Then I use Sonus Trim & Motor Kote over everything to make it look like new.

I tin foil off most electrical connections though...just to be safe.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is some concern about water in the engine bay, but not as much as some people think. Cover up any open element filters, battery terminals, and possibly your alternator using plastic bags or foil to keep them dry. Obviously if you've done any mods and spliced electrical connections making sure those are water tight is important, but box stock from the factory most any newer truck or car isn't gonna have an issue with some water in there. If you do opt to use a pressure washer (I don't recommend it) then make sure you use a very broad fan tip and keep it a good distance away from everything - not because of the water but the pressure potentially forcing water somewhere it shouldn't be.

Heres a video I threw together to explain the process I use, not the gospel, but a process I've used for over 13 years of detailing and have yet to have anything go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdHX_wPUKZI

Last edited by Dylan@adams; 01-03-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dilute what ever cleaner you use and a soft brissel brush with a water hose.

It wil be cleaner and wont mess anything us.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by casey.shoemake
Im with him - I wash my truck in the summer time many times a week lol ..... I have used all kinds of engine degreasers and they all seem to work about the same. If you can get one that foams will tend to work a little better on valve covers with the built up grease since the foam will stick to it a little better then like Simple Green. Simple green is a great cleaner and I have used it alot to detail the interior plastics but I would be hesitent to put something that powerful on my vacum lines and hoses, I know that when I use SG full strength it chokes me up and makes me cough nonstop inhaling the fumes and I think if I remember right when you put mist it on hoses it will leave little mist stains but dont hold me to that comment.

I always run my motor as soon as i pull out of the bay and let it idle as I dry my truck and I have had very few problems with water, just dont sit there and spray directly over your intake and over your coil packs/alternator. the rest should be pretty well out of the way for you to worry about. I have found that after you degrease your motor if you go through detail your engine bay with tire wet or anything similar that it keeps all the hoses nice and moist and do not tend to dry out and crack. Also the oil base makes the engine look amazing and then when it gets dirty all you have to do is hose it off again since the oil keeps any greas and grit from actually sticking to the motor! I have a couple pics of my enginge that I just did the week of xmas, pics came out a little blurry but you will get the point, if you want to go look at my alblum.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: what engine degreaser/underhood cleaner?