Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a nightmare..

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a nightmare..

So i let my friend borrow my truck (which i dont reccomend or will never do again) and he takes it to walmart, parks up close, gets a huge gray scratch in my passener door, thats not the worse hang on, then goes to oreillys buys that cheap *** scratch n fix (same color i give him that cause theres only about 10 maroon truck paints) - to try and cover it up, now it looks even worse, is there ANYTHING i can do to take both off? something hardcore maybe? this is killing me..
Old 10-01-2007, 05:25 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did he try to hide it from you? Kick his ***, take his wallet and hold his license 'till he pays you to have it repaired.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Friends don't let friends drive their trucks!! I can't imagine seeing someone else driving my truck. I'll give my friends a ride in my truck but I'll never let them drive it...even with me in the passenger seat. Anyways, it sounds like he was trying to hide it, which is even worse. Unfortunately, I think repainting the door is the only way to fix this problem. Your options ran out when he used that cheap touch-up paint, IMO. Hopefully you learned a lesson here.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Launching!

no he didnt try, hes a good friend of the family, but ga damn it, and im sure they'll want more since its a metallic color.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got any pictures of the damage? If the entire scratch was filled with the touch up paint it could be salvageable.

Quickie half-assed write-up:

Supplies needed:
1500 & 3000 Meguiars Unigrit sandpaper. Check local body shops for it or buy it online.
Pencils with good, unused erasers.
Water.
Car wash soap.
Spray bottle.
Painters or automotive tape (peels off without leaving residue).
Meguiars #83 & #80 mirror glaze polishes.
Terry cloth towels.
Microfiber towels.

Process:
If the scratch is not completely filled with touch up paint carefully finish filling the scratch in. Use a very small painters brush or a toothpick for really tight places. Let the touch up paint cure for a day or two.

Carefully tape along both edges of the scratch. Take your time and get the tape all the way up against the touch up paint.

Wrap a piece of 1500 grit sandpaper around one pencil eraser and 3000 grit around the other. Let the sandpaper covered ends soak in some water with a few drops of car wash soap mixed in. Also prepare a spray bottle with a little car wash soap mixed in.

Take the 1500 grit pencil and carefully sand the touch up paint level with the tape. Use the spray bottle with the water/car was soap mixture to keep things lubricated.

Remove the tape and carefully sand the touch paint level with the rest of the paint using the 3000 grit pencil. Be patient and sand along the touch up paint, this will take a little while. Again use the water/car wash soap solution to keep things slick. Don't worry if you hit the paint around the scratch a little, 3000 grit is pretty mild and will only remove a fraction of your clear coat.

After the touch up paint is level you need to polish out the sanding marks. First use a little Megs #83 on a terry cloth. Spread the polish out on a small area (maybe half the scratch depending on how long the scratch is) then begin working the polish using some pressure and fast movements. You need to generate some heat to break the polish down so use some elbow grease. This will also take some time and it may take multiple applications to remove the sanding marks by hand. After you have removed the sanding marks you will be left with some micromarring. You can polish this out using a microfiber and some #80 Speed Glaze using the same process.

It might not come out perfect working by hand and it will certainly require a lot of work, not to mention you won't be able to feel your arm for a few days.....but the results will be pretty nice if you take your time. Maybe not perfect but certainly much better. Maybe good enough you decide you don't need to have the door painted.

I don't think I have any spare 3000 unigrit right now but I can send you some #83 and #80 if you can come up with a couple of small (2-4oz) bottles.

Oh yeah, kick your friends ***.

Last edited by Frito Bandito; 10-01-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you sir are the man!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awwwww, shucks.