SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Tint Looks Good Behind/On Top of Factory Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Mortgage Banker Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Tint Looks Good Behind/On Top of Factory Tint?

Our 2003 Yukon of course has a little factory tinting on the back windows. I want them darker, but not super-limo-dark (been there, done that with other vehicles, don't want that dark on this one).

A few specific questions will help me decide what I want:

1) What is the factory tint, %-wise, 20%?

2) How dark should I go so that people behind me can't see the movies I'm playing very well at night?

3) Which version of which brand should I use? There is like graphite, charcoal, mirror, bronze; pretty sure I don't want any mirror or bronze crap behind the factory stuff.

TIA, BTW I'll probably just put one layer of 5% or 20% on the front two windows.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put a 22% over my extra cab factory tint, they told me that was suppose to be a 5%. but i think it needs to be just a lil darker to be the 5%. i went with 32% in the front but i wanna go down a shade.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

also alot of people wont install tint over tint, atleast warranty the tint. I would go with 5% over factory if I was going to do it. also make sure you get the metalized film, if someone braks into your car they wont be able to get through it very easy, unlike dye tint
Old 03-04-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

the factory tint it 15%.

i had my driver's and passenger windows professionally done by someone and he put 15% on them to match the rest of the truck.

a year later i went back and got 15% put on top of the factory tint in the rear cab. i like it alot. you can't see in the EC at all. but standing behind the truck you can see through, so that means someone probably could see what movie you are watching.

now my brother has a 2000 blazer that had the 15% factory tint too. i took his truck to the same guy and this time he put 5% on over the factory. pretty damn dark. hard to back up at night though. needless to say, the 5% that was on the driver and passenger window didn't last too long. cop pulled him over after having the tint for about 2-3 weeks. luckily he didn't have to take it off the rest of the truck. only those 2 front windows
Old 03-05-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

There is no way you can block a movie from being seen. You would have to paint your windows.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

hmmm what kind of movies you watchin there. that you dont wont nobody to see them.
you could always rig a blanket up or something.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Mortgage Banker Mod

Haha, a lot of replies about the movies, but nothing special going on there. I just don't want people nosing up behind me whatever I'm watching - TV / Movies / Music Vids / PSX, etc.

Originally Posted by cstchevy
also alot of people wont install tint over tint, atleast warranty the tint. I would go with 5% over factory if I was going to do it. also make sure you get the metalized film, if someone braks into your car they wont be able to get through it very easy, unlike dye tint
But I thought I read somewhere that the factory tint was special ink mixed into the glass before the windows were made. That's why when one of those breaks, the bits of glass are tint colored, and not held together by tint 'skin'.

20% all around is what we'll probably go with. That will darken up the fronts a good bit and make the back a lot darker.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

with mirror or bronze they wont be able to see because of the reflection of their own head lights
Old 03-05-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I don't think you'd be able to keepmovies from being seen, especially at night, they stick out in most all vehicles I've ever been behind! I have 20 all around in my EC and it matches up darn near perfect. my installer didn't have 15, but that WOULD be perfect. At day you can hardly see in at all, due to dark interior and a blue truck, at night...forget it. I thought about putting 20 over my factory tint in the rear, but after tinting the fronts it brought it all together real well and darkened eveything up. I still might put a layer of 20 on my back glass to cut the glare, seems like the automatic mirror isn't as fast as I'd like it to be, but that automatic drivers outside mirror is AWESOME for vehicles behind you with bright lights! Good luck in your choice. Oh, and I think mine is charcoal, the closest to black you can get, non reflective, but lifetime warranty, scratchproof stuff..the only way to go IMHO.

Hope this helps, pm me if you'd like!

RYan
Old 03-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Mortgage Banker Mod

Originally Posted by tuckerwilliam
Yeah, I don't think you'd be able to keepmovies from being seen, especially at night, they stick out in most all vehicles I've ever been behind! I have 20 all around in my EC and it matches up darn near perfect. my installer didn't have 15, but that WOULD be perfect. At day you can hardly see in at all, due to dark interior and a blue truck, at night...forget it. I thought about putting 20 over my factory tint in the rear, but after tinting the fronts it brought it all together real well and darkened eveything up. I still might put a layer of 20 on my back glass to cut the glare, seems like the automatic mirror isn't as fast as I'd like it to be, but that automatic drivers outside mirror is AWESOME for vehicles behind you with bright lights! Good luck in your choice. Oh, and I think mine is charcoal, the closest to black you can get, non reflective, but lifetime warranty, scratchproof stuff..the only way to go IMHO.

Hope this helps, pm me if you'd like!

RYan
Awesome reply, very helpful! Hope to have this done soon and snap some before / after pics.

Quick Reply: What Tint Looks Good Behind/On Top of Factory Tint?