Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring for mirror options

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wiring for mirror options

I have Tahoe mirrors on my Silverado and I want to take advantage of the heated (defrost) option as well as turn on the puddle lamps. So, I'm looking for feedback on the following:

So far this is what I have come up with -

1) Heated option. Looks like everything is prewired and set up except for the Rear defroster relay (underhood fuse block) and a switch for power. I assume that if I put in the relay and set up a switch to send power down CKT193 (this could be a simple rocker panel switch that splices into the wire or an actual HVAC control panel containing the defog switch - simpliest approach and stock) everything should work. Any thoughts?

2) Puddle lamps. I should be able to power these from the courtesy lamps in the doors, correct? Although, if I want to follow stock wiring procedures I should just run the wires from the Body-Relay Block and make sure I have a Exterior Illumination Relay installed - this would be more difficult and time consuming but I think it should still work. Any thoughts on these options?

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:06 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm interested in what you find out, I have the heated towing mirrors (they move in and out) and want to switch to the retractable heated mirrors, from what I can tell the window control module is the same, just don't know if the wiring is already there.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also interested in the puddle lamps and the signal mirrors. I already have the heated mirrors.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:06 PM
what a rush!

Isn't the signal, puddle lamp, heated, retractable mirror all in one?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Not on mine they aren't all in one. All that stuff came out after my truck came out. I was wondering if it were possible to get the mirrors with the puddle lamps and signals and put them in place of the mirrors that I currently have? What do you mean by retractable?
Old 09-07-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leochevy2001
What do you mean by retractable?
I think he means like the Mercedes, they fold in and out with the press of a button. I guess its good for parking?

Sice you guys are doing all this what about the auto thing that moves the mirrors down for you when you put it in reverse?
Old 09-07-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

That would be a nice feature to have also.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:10 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by MacADaYear
I think he means like the Mercedes, they fold in and out with the press of a button. I guess its good for parking?

Sice you guys are doing all this what about the auto thing that moves the mirrors down for you when you put it in reverse?
yes, that's it, like many vehicles nowadays
Old 09-07-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

I have heated mirrors. Popped in the relay. Popped in a new HVAC head control w/rear defogger switch. 5 mins. No muss, no fuss. Turned it on, mirrors got warm.

Now mind you, this was the expensive route. I still think you can get a $5 rocker switch and connect right into the circuit and it would work.

Haven't hooked up the puddle lamps yet. Waiting on some metri-pak 150 series parts that I ordered.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
I'm interested in what you find out, I have the heated towing mirrors (they move in and out) and want to switch to the retractable heated mirrors, from what I can tell the window control module is the same, just don't know if the wiring is already there.
I would think that you would not have a problem with this. It seems to me that the only difference would be that the motor, in the mirror, is made to move the mirror unit in a different (in and out vs. folding in) direction. Everything else remains the same. Plug and play.

Quick Reply: Wiring for mirror options