FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2014 Sierra RCSB Z71 On3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ceramic boots round 2. I think these are actually just short enough to keep the wire completely straight and out of the manifold. Fingers crossed. It's only money right?

Also decided to check out one of these inferno heat shields..perhaps if something starts getting melty I can chop it up and place here and there. Way thicker in person than expected; about 1/2" thick uncompressed.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Good luck man. Keep us updated
Old 12-21-2017, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I've used the DEI floor and tunnel shield with good results. That inferno shield looks identical. Where are you thinking about using it? Above the downpipe on the firewall?
Old 12-21-2017, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I've used the DEI floor and tunnel shield with good results. That inferno shield looks identical. Where are you thinking about using it? Above the downpipe on the firewall?
I have a full blanket for the DP. I just bought that piece for anything else I run across. This truck has almost a full heat shield on the firewall from the factory. I made a couple of my own, similar shields so was curious what the "commercial" version was.

A friend told me the DEI trans shield was about 1/8" thick. This is more like 1/2" or so and is metal on both sides with no adhesive. I will likely never know if it is any better than the DEI offering; just pointing out the differences.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting. The adhesive backing on the DEI is great for application, but would imagine it leaves a mess if you were to remove it later down the line. A bolt/screw in shield like that would make for a good alternative provided there are good places for attachment.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welllllll the ceramic boots are stiff and about 1/8-1/4" too long to put on with manifold installed. FML.

So it's getting exhaust studs this weekend. That way I can more easily loosen the manifold, pull to side to manipulate plug wires.

The Taylor ceramic boots appear to be exactly the same in every way except for the Accel logo. Hopefully the Taylors hold up a little better(the Accels left almost all the connectors on the ends of the spark plugs last I removed them).

Welded some test pieces. It's going to be ugly but I think it'll work. Hoping to practice a little more this weekend and then get the exhaust mated up. I ordered some stainless V-band flanges but they probably won't come until after Christmas.

These pics are progression over about 45 minutes of practice. I think with some patience it won't leak at least. I know stainless doesn't conduct heat as well as other materials but I think welding larger pieces will be a little more consistent as well. The small test pieces got stupid hot instantly obviously. Toward the end I have a couple of small sections where I started to get the hang of it I think. Again, still ugly, but at least bordering on functional.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

V-bands came in.

​​​​​​Do you guys have experience with the flat vs. male/female flanges(small lip and matching recess in pairs of flanges)? I purchased the latter and I don't see why I would consider flat. Any feedback before I commit to these things?

Thanks

Old 12-27-2017, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

My exhaust guy always uses the male/female v band. It makes it stupid easy for r and r.

Check out my old thread. They are expensive but seem well worth it.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...tested-522108/
The following users liked this post:
Mercier (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice welder. I love me some Dynasty haha.

I used to use the flat v-bands, made my own male/female versions by sticking the tubing through one side roughly a 1/16th and on the opposite side I'd keep it off the edge a 1/16th +. That was before they started making the male/female designs.
I love the m/f versions now, makes assembly that much easier.

Nice write up Choda
Old 12-27-2017, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Choda
My exhaust guy always uses the male/female v band. It makes it stupid easy for r and r.

Check out my old thread. They are expensive but seem well worth it.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...tested-522108/
I'm committed to the Taylor Ceramics for now. Should have actually stayed with the original Taylors with the shorty 135 degree boots. Fit great and on and off with the manifold in place. But..tired of playing with wires and should have studded the manifold in the first place.

Here's a little data if you'd like to add to your thread. Can supply pics too if interested. Tested on that same famous brand (free with purchase) meter.

Stock GM L83 (12633447)

On3 wire set(short, medium, long)

Taylor Firepower (9MM)

Accel Extreme 9000 Ceramic boot

Taylor Extreme "ThunderVolt" 8.2mm #85245