Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

4.8/5.3 build, APPROVED!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=fastnblu;4679084]
What's the lift & LSA of that cam?

Ever thought of F/I? A turbo from KB or Trick & a T56.
QUOTE]

cam specs: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2215/

whats a F/I?

I would love to throw a turbo on there and do a T-56 tranny. Would u still put it on the 4.8L as a daily driver? Also i have no experience/knowledge of turbos so whats a good realiable turbo that can throw down some big numbers and hold up to a T-56? (thats not going to take most of the budget.)

on a side note... I really have a VERY small understanding of how to install things so im going to need to find someone around here to install this stuff and the only "specialty" shop is mainly a mustang place but they said they are "capable" of installing this. So what im saying is, they are going to me when in comes to labor costs... and its the closest dyno place too. Next nearest is 2 hrs away in Pittsburgh, Pa
Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver05Rst
cam specs: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2215/

whats a F/I?

I would love to throw a turbo on there and do a T-56 tranny. Would u still put it on the 4.8L as a daily driver? Also i have no experience/knowledge of turbos so whats a good reliable turbo that can throw down some big numbers and hold up to a T-56? (thats not going to take most of the budget.)

on a side note... I really have a VERY small understanding of how to install things so im going to need to find someone around here to install this stuff and the only "specialty" shop is mainly a mustang place but they said they are "capable" of installing this. So what im saying is, they are going to me when in comes to labor costs... and its the closest dyno place too. Next nearest is 2 hrs away in Pittsburgh, Pa
F/I is forced induction; it means nitrous, supercharged, & turbo. Anything that's not N/A (naturally aspirated) is F/I. It can also stand for fuel injected (-ion) but on PT, most use it as to mean a power adder that I mentioned here.

There are guys on here running turbos w/ 4.8s. I throw a vid on here of such a case, altho it's more extreme than some, but it's a 4.8 / 80E / etc. He's running low 11's.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=480727

Yes, I'd DD a 4.8 turbo. In fact, if I owned a 4.8, it's exactly what I'd do.

Long as outta boost, u can get good mileage, & it'll be a runner.

A turbo will outdo a T56, not the other way around. You'll run outta motor, tranny or rearend before turbo. If sized properly. I'll post a link. Be right back.

Granted Kyle's sale is over, but contact him, he's on here alot, as am I. He's really helpful, & this 1st few pics gives ya an idea of the kit(s) & at that time, pricing.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=475786

Here's another. They're a sponsor as well. Both make nice kits & I'd buy from either. In a way, I almost wish I was doin turbo, but I'm not, but plan to on a future project. Who knows, 1 day maybe I'll do this truck, but a Maggie is goin on 1st.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=477390

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-08-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added links.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a nice budget. theres a guy on here with a 6.0 with heads and mild cam i think and the stock 5 speed with no problems.

also i dont know how big PA is but hit up quik. hes a member in here i think he lives in that state. hes real good at what he does maybe he does installs idk
Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I never even considered the sonic check price.
Sounds like somebody did their homework on that & the crank snout info.
Sure enough...Then I realized it was not worth it, hello LQ9!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You might hit up 03sierraslt. I think he lives in western PA. Nice guy and very knowledgeable. Helped me several times.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
thats a nice budget. theres a guy on here with a 6.0 with heads and mild cam i think and the stock 5 speed with no problems.

also i dont know how big PA is but hit up quik. hes a member in here i think he lives in that state. hes real good at what he does maybe he does installs idk

Yea, i know of quik. He's down in pittsburgh and im 2 hrs north of him in Erie. Its too far a drive for me to do right now in my line of work currently or i would totally do it. I heard he finnaly got his 02 twin turbo truck up and running again btw.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fastnblu
F/I is forced induction; it means nitrous, supercharged, & turbo. Anything that's not N/A (naturally aspirated) is F/I. It can also stand for fuel injected (-ion) but on PT, most use it as to mean a power adder that I mentioned here.

There are guys on here running turbos w/ 4.8s. I throw a vid on here of such a case, altho it's more extreme than some, but it's a 4.8 / 80E / etc. He's running low 11's.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=480727

Yes, I'd DD a 4.8 turbo. In fact, if I owned a 4.8, it's exactly what I'd do.

Long as outta boost, u can get good mileage, & it'll be a runner.

A turbo will outdo a T56, not the other way around. You'll run outta motor, tranny or rearend before turbo. If sized properly. I'll post a link. Be right back.

Granted Kyle's sale is over, but contact him, he's on here alot, as am I. He's really helpful, & this 1st few pics gives ya an idea of the kit(s) & at that time, pricing.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=475786

Here's another. They're a sponsor as well. Both make nice kits & I'd buy from either. In a way, I almost wish I was doin turbo, but I'm not, but plan to on a future project. Who knows, 1 day maybe I'll do this truck, but a Maggie is goin on 1st.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=477390

Hey thanks for the info fastnblu! I already Pm'd kb. Now is there a big difference between the MP T70 turbo and the 80E?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Hey thanks for the info fastnblu! I already Pm'd kb. Now is there a big difference between the MP T70 turbo and the 80E?
80E is a transmission.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JFOLM
80E is a transmission.
o... LOL im an idiot...
Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 PM
formerly 2004RST (changed 11/19/2012)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason y i didnt think i was going to do a 6.0 build was because i wanted to be able to still use my factory 5 speed tranny. At least until i can put a t-56 in it. But as far as i understood the 6.0 cant be hooked up to the 4.8/5.3 tranny and i was told the 6.0 i would have to change the engine brackets, idk... I was told all this by a local garage shop guy so let me know if he's full of it lol.
the LQ9 & 01+ LQ4's will bolt to the NVG3500....they should anyhow....but i wouldn't put that kind of power to that tranny with a $7k budget pick yourself up an IRON LQ9 ~ $800 some Patriot head's ~ $1200 get rid of the JBA shorties on the RST get yourself some LT's ~ $400 i'd get a cam spec'd out ~$400 underdrive pulley ~$275 and use the rest on a T-56....i wish i had an extra $7k sittin around...then i could afford my bottom end!

Quick Reply: 4.8/5.3 build, APPROVED!