Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

For All 05' & Up AWD & 2WD SS Truck Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CHEVY...
Did they ever fix your brakes.

Dave
Old 01-24-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
CHEVY...
Did they ever fix your brakes.

Dave
Hell no! The drum brake design is the problem!
Get this, I dropped off my truck at the dealership for them to fix the brakes again. I then receive a 2006 4dr short bed Silverado with a 5.3L for the rental.
Of course it has the same brake setup as mine.
So on my way to work (25mi from my house) I begin to feel the same damn problem my truck does about 3/4 of the way down there.
Basically it boils down to this, GM's "new" rear drum brakes bite the dust.
They used way too thin of metal on the drums. They warp after they heat up.
After they cool down, they are fine, but it's always the same daily routine of when they begin to pulsate.
I've also noticed that when your driving in the rain, they tend to warp faster. The cool water hitting the hot drums seems to progress the problem further.
My brakes work with little pedal effort. That's a good thing. Though in turn you will eventually get a pulsation. Very annoying!
Mine did not start this until my truck hit around 12,000mi. Why it keeps doing this even after the drums were replaced, is a mistery to me.
But I now know that my truck is not the only one doing this.
Just curious if others are noticing this same issue as I am. Or is everyone else really paying attention to this?
Well, I'm not pleased with GM's alternative braking solution. Larger disc brakes and stronger rear calipers is all they needed.
This will definately force me to buy Baer brakes rear disc conversion kit.
Guess that's where I stand at this point. NO SOLUTION!

Jim
Old 01-24-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much are you using the brakes on your daily drive, is that stop and go traffic or highway, if you are not using the brakes they shouldn't be getting hot.

Dave.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

im thinking the same thing, i do my share of braking and i dont have any problems with my drum brakes.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Angry

Originally Posted by ssdan
im thinking the same thing, i do my share of braking and i dont have any problems with my drum brakes.
I'm one of the lightest on the brakes. I avoid heavy traffic out of downtown by taken light highways home.
Either way, heavy on them or not, My previous 2000 Silverado ECSB 5.3L never had a problem from the same daily commute for all of its 4yrs that I owned it. Though it had better brakes on the rear. DISCS!!
I had all of the brake rotors & drums turned at the dealer one week before I took it back to them. They returned the rear drums stating there was already runout in each of them. They placed new pad & shoes all the way around as well. I mean, shouldn't that tell them something right there???
I'm sorry, but the rear drums blow!! Period. The rental truck I had, was showing right at 21,000mi on it. It has about the same miles as my truck and does the same thing.
It's not just my truck that is doing this.
Guess there is no fix for me. Glad some of you guys out there aren't experiencing this! You would know how I felt if you did.

Jim
Old 01-25-2006, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

well then i dont know what to say but mine are working fine, so i guess ill just have to wait and see.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Question

Originally Posted by ssdan
well then i dont know what to say but mine are working fine, so i guess ill just have to wait and see.
How many miles are on your SS? What year is your truck?

Jim
Old 02-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hog
Do you know of a pre 05 14 bolt truck that has disk brakes? Of course not because GM didnt offer the 14 bolt with disk brakes.

The 14 bolt can use disc brakes, if you install an aftermarket conversion, but from the factory GM never offered the 14 bolt with disc brakes, this is why GM used the 10 bolt in the 2004 VHO B4V "Texas truck". The 04 B4V VHO texas truck was a unique truck, it coupled a 6.0L engine with a 1/2 ton trans. and 1/2 ton rear dif, with 1/2 ton rear brakes.

In 2005 GM made the VHO available nation wide, and available in Canada, now the VHO cam with the 6.0 with the 4l65e trans and 14 bolt 3/4 ton rear with 3/4 ton brakes.
In 06it came with the 6.0 4l70e trans, 3/4 ton rear and 3/4 ton rear brakes.

peace
hog
Hate to dig up a old post but my 2004 VHO has a 4L65E tranny. This is not considered your normal 1/2 ton tranny. (4l60E). The VHO aka B4V retained the 4L65E in 2006. Only the Vortec MAX Crew Cab/4X4 Ext and TBSS got the 4L70E tranny.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Hell no! The drum brake design is the problem!
Get this, I dropped off my truck at the dealership for them to fix the brakes again. I then receive a 2006 4dr short bed Silverado with a 5.3L for the rental.
Of course it has the same brake setup as mine.
So on my way to work (25mi from my house) I begin to feel the same damn problem my truck does about 3/4 of the way down there.
Basically it boils down to this, GM's "new" rear drum brakes bite the dust.
They used way too thin of metal on the drums. They warp after they heat up.
After they cool down, they are fine, but it's always the same daily routine of when they begin to pulsate.
I've also noticed that when your driving in the rain, they tend to warp faster. The cool water hitting the hot drums seems to progress the problem further.
My brakes work with little pedal effort. That's a good thing. Though in turn you will eventually get a pulsation. Very annoying!
Mine did not start this until my truck hit around 12,000mi. Why it keeps doing this even after the drums were replaced, is a mistery to me.
But I now know that my truck is not the only one doing this.
Just curious if others are noticing this same issue as I am. Or is everyone else really paying attention to this?
Well, I'm not pleased with GM's alternative braking solution. Larger disc brakes and stronger rear calipers is all they needed.
This will definately force me to buy Baer brakes rear disc conversion kit.
Guess that's where I stand at this point. NO SOLUTION!

Jim
I have just over 9k on my VHO, and I notice the same pulsation during braking. It has become embarassing when I have a passenger and I see their head bouncing back and forth at every stop sign. I feel it in the pedal, seat of my pants, and see it in my morning coffee cup as as I try to avoid a spill. As I see it, this is a pretty big problem, but I work 7-12s on the road and have no time to take the truck in for service. So if anyone finds a sure fix for the issue, short of a $1000 disk upgrade, be sure and post your findings.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to dig up an old post but does anyone have any pics of this rear kit? I need to know what the calipers look like to make sure I can get some matching front ones.

Quick Reply: For All 05' & Up AWD & 2WD SS Truck Owners