Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Electric fans???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished putting the finishing touches on mine. Pretty simple really- I just used a Flex-a-Lite adjustable fan controller for one side (p/n 31147), and a 4- prong 30 amp relay and tapped the dark green wire on the a/c compressor for the other fan control.
The first pic is the controller (I know its kinda Mickey Mouse lookin, but it works). I have the controller just wired striaght to hot so the fans will stay running after I shut the car off (but turn off at whatever temp I desire [from 160*-220*]). I did this so it'll cool down quicker in the pits at the track.
Its a great (and cheap) way to put in electric fans without having to buy the pre-fabbed one from Nelson or whoever and have your ECM reprogrammed.
If anyone wants some help on doing it, just PM me..
Attached Thumbnails Electric fans???-controller.jpg   Electric fans???-fans.jpg   Electric fans???-fans2.jpg  
Old 04-22-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to mention, after you do this, its super simple to install a home-made intake (like my shitty lookin one), without worrying about the fan hitting it..
Old 04-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
Just finished putting the finishing touches on mine. Pretty simple really- I just used a Flex-a-Lite adjustable fan controller for one side (p/n 31147), and a 4- prong 30 amp relay and tapped the dark green wire on the a/c compressor for the other fan control.
The first pic is the controller (I know its kinda Mickey Mouse lookin, but it works). I have the controller just wired striaght to hot so the fans will stay running after I shut the car off (but turn off at whatever temp I desire [from 160*-220*]). I did this so it'll cool down quicker in the pits at the track.
Its a great (and cheap) way to put in electric fans without having to buy the pre-fabbed one from Nelson or whoever and have your ECM reprogrammed.
If anyone wants some help on doing it, just PM me..
Is the ECM bitching? Any MILs?

Ryan
Old 04-27-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryan23
Is the ECM bitching? Any MILs?

Ryan
what the heck are you talking about??? he said he didn't have to get a custom tune to activate the fans, so why would he have a "bitching ECM" or SES Lights (I guess that's what a MIL is)?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nickvrebel
what the heck are you talking about??? he said he didn't have to get a custom tune to activate the fans, so why would he have a "bitching ECM" or SES Lights (I guess that's what a MIL is)?
Sorry, yeah, I just jumped in the shower after I posted and it dawned on me how stupid that sounded. Replace belt driven fan with standalone controller electrics...

Ryan
Old 04-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nickvrebel
Sorry man, guess you havent hear what the GMT-360s do when you pull the fan clutch. They throw codes and MIL and SES lights and go into Reduced Power Mode. Not a cool thing to have happen.

I havent even bothered thinking about one for my 02, but if I get an SS I will have to add this to the mod list.

Chris- Didnt know you were experimenting with efans, cool thing to know about for the future!
Old 04-30-2006, 12:37 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to go over it again

1) what fans did you go with
2) what term. control

thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see why the F-body fan's won't work and you should be able to actually wire it to the pcm and make it work I have seen that done with pre 05 silverado SS's that have the mechanical fan I have worked on a couple 03's that the guys did that mod and put the 05 electric fans in.

If I had TB local I could try a set of ls1 fans in I would it can't be much fabricating at all. I have a set or two of spare ls1 fans now. I use them on the s-10's as well.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont the tb cluth have something to do with the trans? i sold a trans to a guy9cause he thought his was bad),the new one did the same thing,he replaced the clutch(on the fan)& fixed the problem!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ever plan on towing you should leave the stock clutch fan in the truck.

Quick Reply: Electric fans???