Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Silverado SS recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 PM
DBN
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado SS recommendations

Thanks guys. Keep the info coming.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Teching In

I have a '03 SS and have towed my 68 Chevelle around with no problems at all. Im running a Nelson 91 tune, volant CAI, 160 stat, Flowmaster cat-back, 2" lowering kit and '05 Efans. Runs very good for a truck, but hope to purchase a Radix soon. This is my every day driver and have no problems even in 8" of snow. Here are my thoughts on the mods I've done so far...

160 stat- Thank god for heated seats, lukewarm heat in the winter

CAI- Looks cool, nice filter..Otherwise nothing usefull found using it

Nelson tune-Makes a huge difference. (Im sure they all do, not advertising for Nelson)

'05 Efans- Very nice mod, in addition to the 160 stat, engine temps dropped noticably

2" drop-Spindles are the only way to go imo

Hope this helps...Jason
Old 08-08-2007, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Whoever says dont buy black, obviously isnt a hardcore car washing freak like myself, I will admit it is very hard to keep clean even an hr after washing/waxing, however it is the best color when its clean IMO. I have an AWD and I love it plus you wolnt have the temptation to spin the tires ....simply because you cant LOL.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 AM
DBN
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00silverad0
Whoever says dont buy black, obviously isnt a hardcore car washing freak like myself, I will admit it is very hard to keep clean even an hr after washing/waxing, however it is the best color when its clean IMO. I have an AWD and I love it plus you wolnt have the temptation to spin the tires ....simply because you cant LOL.
Actually, the truck that I am considering is black. I drive a black truck now so I know and agree with where you are coming from. They are hard to keep clean but when they are clean they look awesome! Does anyone have a preference on which cold air intake is best?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Teching In

I have an 03 AWD and i LOVE it...im putting a volant cold air intake and headers on it in the nex week...ill let you know what kind of gains i get out of it...
Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

06 ss here in 2wd....mines silver birch and im not a guy who cares too much about washing it and it pretty much always looks clean even if i go a month or so without washing it.

the awd's definately have the leg up on the 2wd's off the line but the 2wd's gain ground up top and really are pretty much the same in the 1/4.

i had always liked the ss truck but did not want to buy it because it was awd. so when the 2wd's came out i decided to look into it. im in a no snow, almost never rain area. but if i was in the midwest or somewhere it snowed or rained a lot and this was my daily driver id definately get the awd.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd have to agree with 00silverad0.... i have an 06SS in black and it's a bitch to keep it clean but when i is clean it's just great i love till about two days after i wash it and i can start to see it get dirty again .... good luck with ur purchase post up ur pics when u get it....

-Rob
Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesn't matter which one you get, as long as you get one period! Not sure if the older ones have the LQ4 6.0 motor and newer ones have the LQ9 6.0, but I could be wrong? Between the AWD and the 2wd, there isn't much difference except for the traction. They can pull on the AWD, because of the added weight difference, but not by much. They are a great truck to have. It's the cadillac of the Chevy's. They are not as fast as you would think,(still faster than the average truck) but once you start to add mods, and a nice tune, then the 6.0 will wake up! Add a cam and blower, and holy ****. I have an 06' SSS and the tune made all the difference in the world. (look at sig. for the mods) I heard the Outlaw is the best CAI for the truck, but not sure. I have a Volant with a ram air, and mine flies! As far as I know, they keep their value too. Mine is a Red weekend warrior, and stays clean all the time. My wife seems to think that I love my SS more than her, but we know better than that huh.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:17 PM
DBN
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback. I'm talking with an old friend who has an 04 model with 3200 miles on it. It is awd and loaded with options. I hope I can afford it as we have not discussed price yet. I would just like to know what everyone is doing to their trucks so I can pick and choose the best parts and not waste my money on parts that don't work. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The first thing you should do is get a CAI, exhaust, and then the tune. That way they can tune for those items. I've got Pacesetter LT's on mine and those made a preety good difference too. But the tune will be the biggest thing you should do. Don't waste your money on power programmers, they don't do much for your truck. You need a custom tune. Do alot of searching for the one you would like, because there are alot of great tuners out there.

Quick Reply: Silverado SS recommendations