Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Tires and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and shocks

Well it's time for me to replace my tires and shocks on my SSS. I'm having a hard time trying to decide on which tires to go with. Shocks were a no-brainer with Bilsteins at 63 bucks a piece. I drive my truck year round in all weather conditions here on the East Coast.

I've got Goodyear Eagle GTIIs 285/50/20s on her now. There ok tires but not the best in wet or dry. I've looked at Goodyear Forteras, General Grabbers, and Kumho Ecstas. What do you guys recommend?
Old 07-10-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The kumhos are great until they start to wear, then all they do is spin. Try the nitto 420S. Great tire in the dry or wet.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pirelli Scorpion ATR's...excellent grip in all types of weather including snow and ice, excellent handling/treadwear/ride comfort.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
Well it's time for me to replace my tires and shocks on my SSS. ...I drive my truck year round in all weather conditions here on the East Coast.

I've got Goodyear Eagle GTIIs 285/50/20s on her now. There ok tires but not the best in wet or dry. I've looked at Goodyear Forteras, General Grabbers, and ...What do you guys recommend?
The Goodyr. Fortera Triple Treads & Grabbers finish at top in surveys. A month ago I got Grabber HTS. Work in wet, & dry. We'll see how well in Jan. when bad weather comes. My bro has Fortera Triple Treads as of a week ago. He likes em. BTW, ours are both 16"s, but it's the tire not the size. I think either will be fine.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

I run falkens on my truck and they have been good to me! Good wear and good handling.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

If you haven't already bought, take a look at Cooper Tires. I've only got +-1000 miles on my Cooper Zeon XST's but so far I like them. Nice looking tire, PLUS the last I've heard is they're MADE IN THE USA, and it is an American owned company.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rays B4U
If you haven't already bought, take a look at Cooper Tires. I've only got +-1000 miles on my Cooper Zeon XST's but so far I like them. Nice looking tire, PLUS the last I've heard is they're MADE IN THE USA, and it is an American owned company.
Good man, Ray. My Generals are made here too. My bro's Goodyears in his size, were Canada, but the $ is going to a US co. Glad it matters to some.

Cooper was supposed to make some new tires, but I checked a few times, & I couldn't wait any more. So, since they were new to market, I couldn't get price either. They have a sharp tread pattern & look like they would fit my needs.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Good man, Ray. My Generals are made here too. My bro's Goodyears in his size, were Canada, but the $ is going to a US co. Glad it matters to some.

Cooper was supposed to make some new tires, but I checked a few times, & I couldn't wait any more. So, since they were new to market, I couldn't get price either. They have a sharp tread pattern & look like they would fit my needs.
Thanks, I try to do my part and look for the Made in the USA tag on pretty much everything I buy, unfortunately it is getting harder to find everything that a person needs that is Made in the USA.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Well I went with Hankook Ventus ST RHO6 due to the warranty and reviews from other Silverado SS owners. I couldn't beat the price from discount tire either at $144 a tire.

Now onto the shocks.... no one seems to have the bilsteins in stock anywhere!!!!! What are mt other options other than cheap autozone replacements?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Location: On a one way dead end street... And I can't get out

Monroe maybe

Quick Reply: Tires and shocks