Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Wats ur top SPEED??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did 156 in a 1991 Sonoma. True Story
Old 11-18-2008, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many years ago when I was young and indestructible I had a 72 Pontiac Bonneville with a 455. It had a 120mph speedometer and one day I had it would all the was back to 40. I dont know how fast that was but I was moving. Had I wrecked that thing I would have wiped out half of Springfield, TN.

Man I miss that car.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

a c-hair under a hundred in the truck, my old caddy sts would do 150 stock, and for bikes, thats another story for another day.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mybigwarwagon
Many years ago when I was young and indestructible I had a 72 Pontiac Bonneville with a 455. It had a 120mph speedometer and one day I had it would all the was back to 40. I dont know how fast that was but I was moving. Had I wrecked that thing I would have wiped out half of Springfield, TN.

Man I miss that car.

That bonneville would scream. I miss that old tank. There is a few running around here, but not nearly as nice as yours. I was too little, never got the chance to race you in that thing. Although, I distinctly remeber you forcing me out of that car while you were driving across the church parking lot. You were about 20, and I was like 8. I know thats what big brothers are for right!

Last edited by cttandy; 11-18-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cttandy
OK so here are my tall tales

Using mile markers and a stop watch, we figure 155mph in a 91 GMC sonoma, according to the gear ratio and tire size should be really close. Took about a mile and a half to get there. 4000-4500 rpm, 2.73 gear, .69-.72 fifth gear, P235/65R15. The trip was from the Knoxville\Gatlinburg area to the Nashville/Rivergate area. We made the in 2 hours flat, that includes 45 minutes of dead stopped traffic, sitting on the tailgate eating lunch selling drinks to other drivers out of the cooler in the bed. For those that know the area, you know I was cookin to make it that fast.

I know I hit 128mph, (much slower feeling then the above), in a 96 gmc jimmy, thanks to mr hypertech. Also, got in trouble with my dad, borrowed his gps/radar detector combo unit, didn't know it saved top speed. I passed my friends in the church van going to an activity going 105 mph in that truck. They thought it was cool, my Dad didn't.

120-130 mph in a 04 mustang gt (mine), 05 pontiac GTO (test drive), 07 cadillac CTS (test drive).

The real fun came in my 89 GMC Jimmy. I had just lifted it with 32x11.50x15's (stock tire was a 215/70R15), and friend called and said her car broke down about an hour away. I got her car fixed and headed home. The whole time on the interstate my speedo was between 85 mph and pegged which is like 89. I passed a cop and he never moved. Normally from interstate exit to exit took me 20-25 minutes running 80 mph, I made from exit to exit in like 4-5 minutes. Trugging along the hwy, now realizing my speedo was off for me to make it that quickly, I was doing about 48 on the speedo in a 55 mph. A cop stopped me, and told me I was doing 72MPH!!!!! I ask him to clock me again after he wrote out the ticket, I drove exactly 30mph on the dot, he said I was doing 55-ish and said I wasn't holding constant speed, despite the speedo saying I was.

He got kinda excited at the color I changed. He asked if I was ok because I turned pure white. I informed him that I had just gotten off the interstate, and I only told him the speedo was sitting on 75 mph, I didn't want to push my luck with him. After he saw how freaked out I was, he tore up the ticket. I took this pic of the truck the next morning.

Not what you would call a speedster. I dont know what the math figures out to I have never done it. Bone stock 89 GMC jimmy 4.3L, 3.08 gears behind a 700r4 on 32's. I would guess the motor to have been running around 3000-3500 rpm on the interstate. I don't know what the final drive ratio is on the 700r4.

It was crazy, aside from bouncing on bumps, it was a relatively smooth ride. After that, I used my dad's before mentioned radar/gps unit when driving on the HWY.
Ok, let me step in and offer some defense for my brother, cttandy.

For the record I have no need to make myself look better by spinning a yarn. I am 38 and past the age of needing anyone’s approval. I won't argue any points I say in here. If you want to argue I will give you my address and you can come stand toe to toe with all 6’3” and 275 pounds of me. And, furthermore, if he was lying I would be the first to point it out.

The little black S10 was fast. Even without a chip it ran like a scalded cat. With the chip it was ridiculous. Since he clearly states that the 155 mph was, at best, an educated guess I don’t see why so many of you have a need to call him a liar, other than the fact that you cannot see the fault in your own logic ( a flaulty premise ends in a faulty conclusion). He stated that his guess was based on stopwatch calculations of speed. Given that human reaction time varies and that interstate mile markers are not set by anything other than the “close enough” measure, there can be 20 mph + or - buffer. (For those of you that can’t do the math, that is anywhere from 135 and 175 mph). And even that is subject to the vagaries of human error and TN DOT measurements.

I have also heard the same story from the guy who was brave (dumb) enough to ride with him. I have no doubt that Phil was telling the truth - he would be a lousy poker player.

Can a V-6 S-10 do 155? Given enough room to run - yes. Had he said it was done in a ¼ mile I would be personally on my way to TN to move his butt up around his ears, but over 1 ½ to 2 miles with a rolling start- yeah - it is possible. Not something I would want to do in a pile of recycled Coors cans, but if he says he did I have no reason to doubt him.

I have a scrap metal company and deal mostly in junk cars for a living. I have hauled in about every year, option combination, color, and wheel combo square bodied S10 there is (including the elusive long bed 4x4, but no turbos) and I have seen the heavy package on several of them.

The jelly bean S10 I know nothing about. All I can tell you is that it looked good in pictures.

With the Multi colored mutt I only rode in it across a muddy field. Made my 7 year old son smile though. Since speedometers are off by a percentage ( if it is off by 10% at 35 mph (3.5 mph off) it is off by 10% at 85 mph (8.5 mph)and not by a solid MPH I really have no input into how fast it was moving. Knowing Andy I have no doubt that it was faster than a sane person would have done.

Did he get 28 mph in his truck? I cant say. I do know that I have a 90 GMC Sierra that I can, through modifications and proper driving regularly, get 22 mpg out of. Or at least I could a couple of years ago before the half busted rear end and slipping trans. (Why can’t they make a truck that will go past the WarWagon’s 500,000 miles without breaking?)

Now for all those of you who feel compelled to make yourself feel better by attacking Andy or myself, feel free. I have no reason to waste my time trying match to wits online with unarmed opponents. People who mock what they cannot understand are simply people of limited understanding.

Last edited by mybigwarwagon; 11-20-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:08 AM
Where's the Beef?

I did 89mph and blew my flux capacitor.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
I did 89mph and blew my flux capacitor.
Don't you hate when that happens. Now you have to rebuild it and wait for a 1.21 gigawatt lightning bolt...

mybigwarwagon:

As for the comment about people mocking what they don't understand, I think it's just that some understand less than they can imagine. Some people on here know cars/trucks better than doctors know bodies. I wouldn't tell my doctor that I can run 50mph on foot and expect him to believe it.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

I can't believe this thead is still kickin' and that since the last time I popped in here we're still on the same subject

Can we at least agree to disagree and move on now?

My truck only goes 120mph because that's when I take my foot off the pedal, but it's pulling like a mudderfugger at that point
Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by zippy
I wouldn't tell my doctor that I can run 50mph on foot and expect him to believe it.
no but I bet I could make him believe someone else did, i saw it on the internet!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
no but I bet I could make him believe someone else did, i saw it on the internet!
Good one. Touche'

Quick Reply: Wats ur top SPEED??