Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

What gives the most bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gives the most bang for the buck?

Want to add 15 to 20 hp to my 6.0 LQ9 which intake gives the most hp for the dollar and doesn't give any trouble or failures. F.A.S.T. has best reputation but is over a thousand bucks, the BBK says it will add 20 hp but I keep hearing about leaking problems? There are several new ones on the market but I can't find any reviews on them, does anyone have suggestions or have used any of these?
Thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Volant made 12 hp and 20 tq more on the dyno to the tires on my truck.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous and converter are the best bang for the buck IMO. But it sounds like you are looking for something like a tune or headers.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by kelsey_canard
Nitrous and converter are the best bang for the buck IMO. But it sounds like you are looking for something like a tune or headers.
i agree. nitrous and converter are biggest bang for buck. converter wont add any power but will get you there faster.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Tune and longtubes will get you what you are looking for. Skip the FAST until you are cammed. You will not see the gains you expect until your current manifold becomes a restriction. My buddy picked up 8hp and no tq with a ported fast on his bolt on G8.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best bang for your buck is custom tune then stall, then nitrous, then cam.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Upgrading the TQ converter makes even a stock 5.3 feel like it picked up lots of HP.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

If you are at all concerned gas mileage, do not get a stall converter. Your mileage will plummet. Not sure if you're worried about that or not but just thought I'd let you know if you didn't know already. Also, they aren't cheap. $600 and up, plus a decent amount in labor to install then $100+ for a case of fluid and then I would recommend a trans cooler in addition to the stall.

Rear diff gears are another option that will make you feel like you picked up a lot of power.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most bang for the buck

Sorry guys I didn't really give you enough info. I landspeedrace the truck under the sanction of the East Coast Timing Association in the standing mile on two mile airport runways. Last year I set three landspeed records and in my 03 SS Silverado, 5830 lbs., I ran 134 mph with a sustained quartering headwind of 25 mph and gust of 34 mph. I really think with a good wind it would have ran 137 +or-. It has a Volant Cold Air kit, 1:8 to 1 roller rockers and bee hive valve springs all from Comp Cams, Ported throttle body, Longtube headers with Dougs Headers remote control cutouts behind the headers, and an Hp tuneup all by Hunter's Performance Solutions. I don't have my time slip in the house but I ran around 13.80 in the 1/4 mile last fall.
When I go back to Wilmington, Ohio at the end of April I will switch classes and my goal is to run 140 mph+ if there is no headwind. The header are an addition since last year but the cutouts were in place. That's why I was looking for around 40+hp which includes the headers. I hope they were worth 15 to 20 hp and I was hoping an intake might add 15 hph. I don't want the nitrous route, so with this additional info what can you suggest? Sounds like there are some fast trucks out there. I wish I could post a picture of my truck but I have tried posting pictures for hours and I just can't do it. It doesn't make it faster but it's not a bad looker either, black billet five pcs. grille kit and painted the duct intakes semi-gloss black, smoked headlight, parking lights and taillight covers, the truck is black and I put chrome 6.0 emblems at the front of the front fenders and had a red hockey stripe painted from the 6.0 emblem tapering out to a fine point at the center of each back door then painted the little bowtie in the center of the factory wheels the same red, A little tasteful pinstriping on the front of the hood and under the tailgate latch and that's all I can think of.
Thanks,

Garrell Patterson
Old 02-26-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the pics on your computer or phone or something?

Email them to me and ill post them up for ya.
nonnieselman at yahoo.com

Quick Reply: What gives the most bang for the buck?