Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Any aviation mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ces63ss
they are no longer Garrett Aviation. there new name is StandartAero. I work for them also but in Los Angeles.LOL. Long story short we are no differrent then any other company out there. If you are serius about being an A&P try to get on board with either ups or fed-x. they are the leaders as in every way you can think of.
yes those are two very good companies to work for
Old 08-13-2008, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Im in the feild. What is your question? I hope I can help you out some. This feild is fun but overrated if you ask me. The pay isn't there and you will have a lot of responsibilaties. The jobs are getting harder and harder to find that pay good money. Watch the news and you will see airlines laying of all the tme and sending jobs out of the country. Its a fun job, I love what I do but I dont think I would reccomend to someone. I say go to college, try to get in with a high end car manafacture as a mechanic, or a specialty trait like electrician or so. Ask away and I hope I can answer some questions.

Well good pay and good benefits are what im searching for right now. Working on vehicles is definately my passion but to me the money just seems to not be there (correct me if im wrong). In yalls opinions what type of a mechincs field would be best? And im looked into the military but its just not for me.

Thanks for all the replies
Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

have you looked into high end cars $$$. porche, rolls, Italian built. NOw those guys make good money. Dont get me wrong, its a good and honest profession just under payed. Heavy truck mechanics also make good money. The average pay scale for a A&P mechanic is from $14-$30 hrs. In order to get to the high end it willtake many years and lots of experiance. there are several schools out there. A lot of your local community colleges offer the training for a lot less than your trait schools. The difference is, its like your normal college, you have your Yales & Harverts and then you have your local state college. Nothing wrong with community colleges just on your resume the trait schools look beter,deoending which ones. I personaly went to Spartan in Oklahoma. One of the top trait schools out their. You also have Embry Ridel in Florida, your top notch school $$$$$.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
join the military
+1...As a jet engine mechanic in the Navy, its not a bad deal. Pretty good pay and the Nav paid for me to get my A&P.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

have you looked into high end cars $$$. porche, rolls, Italian built. NOw those guys make good money. Dont get me wrong, its a good and honest profession just under payed. Heavy truck mechanics also make good money. The average pay scale for a A&P mechanic is from $14-$30 hrs. In order to get to the high end it willtake many years and lots of experiance. there are several schools out there. A lot of your local community colleges offer the training for a lot less than your trait schools. The difference is, its like your normal college, you have your Yales & Harverts and then you have your local state college. Nothing wrong with community colleges just on your resume the trait schools look beter,deoending which ones. I personaly went to Spartan in Oklahoma. One of the top trait schools out their. You also have Embry Ridel in Florida, your top notch school $$$$$.
I like the idea of the high end cars but i don't know if there is any college around here that could offer the courses for that if it's any different. I'm doing my best to stay on my home territory.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

contact your local porche etc. shops and ask the techs there. I know a coworkers son just finished a specialty trainig coarse from porche. He was pretty much guarantied a job once he finished his coarse.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it for eight years, but the pay is better in the northern states. I moved back to Louisiana and changed careers. I am now a Federal Correctional Officer and the pay is way better here in Louisiana, about 8 dollars more an hour and I dont have to work as hard.LOL. Been doing this now for six years.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Any other suggestions for possible careers?