Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Anybody live in Brenham, TX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
**** no!!! I saw a good 2 good young 8s and a 10 thatll be a damn good deer next year. We saw a ton of pigs and an average amount of deer. Our lease allows 1 trophy buck, 1 "cull" buck (see the 8pt i shot two years ago? ) and as many does and mature spikes as we want. This year, i have the privelege of shooting my dad's trophy buck.

We had pigs come into the feeder infront of camp and me and this 15 year old were supposed to shoot on the count of three. I had the one on the left, he had the one on the right. I said, "gimme a countoff."
Ok.
BOOM! The little 15 year old SOB shot too quick and dropped his. I got on my pig's head quick and threw a round at her. She ran off. I was like ****!!! I MISSED!

The next morning after the hunt, i was fishing at the tank and spotted something black laying on the ground. Sure enough, the pig i shot the night before was laying there, deader than hell and riggored up. There was a tiny pinhole between its ear and its eye and a trickle of blood down from it ranging from the wound to about 5" down its cheak. No exit wound. Mind you this pig was less than 100 yards away off the back porch of our camp house.

Yesterday, i hit a doe in the killzone (i saw and heard the hit) and couldnt find her. Im SOOOO freaking mad right now. I didnt hang any meat this weekend. Im now starting to save for a 7mm mag or a 300 Ultra mag. When i hit something right, I want that sumbitch to go down. Im never hunting with a Fing .243 in South Texas again. I need a heavier grain and more velocity!
I shot a little buck last year in the vitals and he dropped 4 drops(literally 4 fuggin drops) of blood between where he was shot and where he dropped 100 yards away in the trees. I found him within a few minutes, but only because I had good eyes. When I gutted him he had bled massively internally in the vitals, but it just didn't come out the entrance or exit wound.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beau, you dont necessarily want something with more velocity. You want something that is packing some ft-lbs behind it. A high velocity round will be moving so fast it will have a hard time expanding before it blows out the other side. Im speaking from personal experience on this one, damn weatherby 30-378 went right through a damn doe and she ran off a damn good ways. I shoot nosler partition ballistic tip with a fairly slow load for my 270 and it packs some knock down power. The slugs open up into a nice X and tear some **** up. IMO the best whitetail gun out there is the 270, best all around 4 legged hunting rifle is the regular ole 300 with a good hand load. Reloading is fun and you learn ALOT, I just need to get through with this truck **** so I can get back into it. If you get a 270 let me know Ill let you "borrow" a few of my rounds to see how you like em.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

180 gr 30-06

I havent had to track one yet.

I changed my mind on the truck. It looks like it has been abused a bit and looks like a work truck.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Brad-Is it black and does a kid own it. I know a buddy who has a buddy in Brenham who is selling a black, jacked up crew cab.

After watching what a 300 ultra mag did to a pig this weekend....im sold. The entrance wound was the size of a quarter and the exit was.....discusting. I want that ************ to stop. I shot my good 8pt two years ago with a .270 and he didnt go far. I borrow that gun when i can but i cant usually get ahold of it. If i buy another gun, itll be a 300 ultra.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can buy a regular 300 and hop up the powder and have the same damn gun for a good chunk of change cheaper. Atleast this was the case a couple years ago when I was interested. Shake a 300 case you can hear there is alot of room for more powder, but if you arent interested in reloading then the ultra would be for you.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

**** no!!! I saw a good 2 good young 8s and a 10 thatll be a damn good deer next year. We saw a ton of pigs and an average amount of deer. Our lease allows 1 trophy buck, 1 "cull" buck (see the 8pt i shot two years ago? ) and as many does and mature spikes as we want. This year, i have the privelege of shooting my dad's trophy buck.

We had pigs come into the feeder infront of camp and me and this 15 year old were supposed to shoot on the count of three. I had the one on the left, he had the one on the right. I said, "gimme a countoff."
Ok.
BOOM! The little 15 year old SOB shot too quick and dropped his. I got on my pig's head quick and threw a round at her. She ran off. I was like ****!!! I MISSED!

The next morning after the hunt, i was fishing at the tank and spotted something black laying on the ground. Sure enough, the pig i shot the night before was laying there, deader than hell and riggored up. There was a tiny pinhole between its ear and its eye and a trickle of blood down from it ranging from the wound to about 5" down its cheak. No exit wound. Mind you this pig was less than 100 yards away off the back porch of our camp house.

Yesterday, i hit a doe in the killzone (i saw and heard the hit) and couldnt find her. Im SOOOO freaking mad right now. I didnt hang any meat this weekend. Im now starting to save for a 7mm mag or a 300 Ultra mag. When i hit something right, I want that sumbitch to go down. Im never hunting with a Fing .243 in South Texas again. I need a heavier grain and more velocity!
so is that .243 for sale. i can make it work! Dropped a doe this weekend with my 22-250 right behind the eye!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brad-Is it black and does a kid own it. I know a buddy who has a buddy in Brenham who is selling a black, jacked up crew cab.

After watching what a 300 ultra mag did to a pig this weekend....im sold. The entrance wound was the size of a quarter and the exit was.....discusting. I want that ************ to stop. I shot my good 8pt two years ago with a .270 and he didnt go far. I borrow that gun when i can but i cant usually get ahold of it. If i buy another gun, itll be a 300 ultra.

Yes its black but its at a dealership
Old 11-06-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by pbraxton
so is that .243 for sale. i can make it work! Dropped a doe this weekend with my 22-250 right behind the eye!
does that 22-250 have magic bullets like your 270?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beau if you want try a .270 next time out give me a holler and i'll let you use my winchester .270 with a nice leupold scope on it
Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

beau...where you hunting at down here...

Quick Reply: Anybody live in Brenham, TX?