Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Automotive Technician as a career?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 PM
KB
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automotive Technician as a career?

Is there anyone here that is an Automotive Technician for say a dealership or something? I'm trying to get a little more information on it as it may be something I would be interested in pursuing if I decide not to pursue a degree in the IT field. Of course there are all these web-sites that say "you can earn $60,000+ plus a year being an ASE certified tech!" etc. etc. And it's not that I don't believe it, but I know two guys who went to UTI and they're making around $30,000 after being employed almost 3-4 years at the same dealership. Is it just who you know in the business that gets you a decent salary?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cold hard truth is you dont make jack unless you are high up or own your own place. I have known a few that were dealer techs and they dont clear as much as I do with just a high school degree. Its all in what oyu love to do. Im going ot finish my degree up in construction engineering and hopefully make lots of moneya nd have my hobby of working on vehicles on the side.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I can help you with this. I'm 21, right out of high school I attended UTI in Houston. I went through the automotive and diesel program, could not make up my mind at the time, but by the end of school I decided to go automotive. I applied for the Jaguar training, which it does no longer exist, that was an extra four months. So in total I spent about 22 months in school.
I'm currently employed at a dealership in Virginia, I started at $18/hr after six months they bumped me up to $20/hr. I will be completing my first full year in September and so far it seems that I will be making $60k my first year. Average every two weeks I flag anywhere from 115 hours to 140. But I also get to work at 7:30am and don't leave until 7 or 8pm. This **** really gets you tired, but if you want it you can get it!!!

The Shop foreman at my dealership has a lot of experience from Ferraris to Jags and he is currently making aprrox. $52/hr.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good thread man, I've thought about this a lot myself. I've heard so many mixed reviews about those Tech schools though, not sure what to believe. I bet it's one of those "it's all in what you make out of it" type of things.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually visited the Houston Campus of UTI and was thinking of going there and the only thing that kept me from it was having to move the whole family and try to support us all while attending school. The school was nice and I could see potential to make killer money, but my interest was GM and they didn't have a GM class like they did for Ford and other Manufacturers. A year at UTI also counts as a year of experience for your ASE Cert. but you can probably start out at a dealer and let them put you through the necessary training.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

yea i feel you on that. ima be starting my 1st year of college next year or maybe this summer coming up and i'm wondering how much i would make in general as a auto-tech along w/ being certified in autobody and collision repair.(basically automotive engineering)
Old 08-15-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am a tech making 23.00 an hour... NO school, just OJT... Like someone else already said " If you want it, it is there to be made"
It is frustrating at first, but once you learn how things work it will be more enjoyable, if that is even possible for a job to be enjoyable....
I dont regret it everyday, just about once a week!!!!

Brian
Old 08-15-2006, 08:10 PM
formerly 1fstrst (11/25/2010)

Originally Posted by jhe2003
Well I can help you with this. I'm 21, right out of high school I attended UTI in Houston. I went through the automotive and diesel program, could not make up my mind at the time, but by the end of school I decided to go automotive. I applied for the Jaguar training, which it does no longer exist, that was an extra four months. So in total I spent about 22 months in school.
I'm currently employed at a dealership in Virginia, I started at $18/hr after six months they bumped me up to $20/hr. I will be completing my first full year in September and so far it seems that I will be making $60k my first year. Average every two weeks I flag anywhere from 115 hours to 140. But I also get to work at 7:30am and don't leave until 7 or 8pm. This **** really gets you tired, but if you want it you can get it!!!

The Shop foreman at my dealership has a lot of experience from Ferraris to Jags and he is currently making aprrox. $52/hr.

You make that much because of your knowledge and the LOCATION of where you work the NOVA area is good pay but it needs to be for the high cost of living. I moved away from there 2 years ago ( too much traffic) after being born and raised in FX county. Not everywhere in the country will make your salary simply because of location. I took a 5 dollar pr/hr cut but the cost of living is alot better here in NC. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-15-2006, 09:13 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I truthfully enjoyed reading this thread. I do love what I do for a living however I turned a hobby into a profession and the hobby for me is gone. There is good money to be made in the auto biz you just have to find it. I do know and have worked with some guy's that have attended uti. Most guy's never get the results that they had planned on before going to school. Not bashing uti here but as other members have said location is king. One guy I worked with called the kids from uti Un-Trained Idiots. Thought it was kinda funny had to throw it out there. If I had to do it over again I probably would not be turning a wrench. Good luck to you,Vince.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Truck addict

i've always wanted to go to a school such as the one you speak of but not for a career but to build my knowledge up. i also want to go to photog school, **** industry school, and race car driving school.

as you can see, i want to go to lots of schools

Quick Reply: Automotive Technician as a career?