Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Automotive Technician as a career?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fstrst
You make that much because of your knowledge and the LOCATION of where you work the NOVA area is good pay but it needs to be for the high cost of living. I moved away from there 2 years ago ( too much traffic) after being born and raised in FX county. Not everywhere in the country will make your salary simply because of location. I took a 5 dollar pr/hr cut but the cost of living is alot better here in NC. Just my 2 cents
I agree with you very much, two of our lead techs just moved to NC for the same reason, one has a family and its really expensive for him to afford a house in the area. But my buddy that stayed in Houston that also went to the Jag program started at $17/hr and this in in Houston, but on the other hand, across the city, my other buddy(hes an Ls1 Tech member) started at $14/hr but I think after six months he went up to $16/hr or so, and thats pretty good for the cost of living in Houston.

Whatever you choose make sure its what you like and youre going to enjoy it, thats all that matters. (well besides the money)
Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Launching!

i have two really good freinds that are auto techs for a living at dealerships. both finished the program at our local community college. one of them went on to uti in houston. yes it got him a nice thing to put on resume but he hasnt really pushed to get all his ase certs. i am an electrican for a local factory and bring more in steady than he does because he dont flag that many hrs alll time. the other is an ase master tech at only 23yr old and has some more dodge/chrysler certs. he flags steady hrs and does pretty well. its all in how man hrs they get to u and how well u can handle the work. if u cant do it quicker than the book calls for then u cant get very far ahead. just my .02
Old 08-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Launching!

+1 on doin what u enjoy. im lucky and love workin as an electrician. this makes it alot easier to go into work every day. if u dont love what u do, it makes it alot worse to make it in the field. money is nice but its not everything. u can be just as miserable makin good money as being broke as hell.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:30 AM
KB
13 Second Truck Club

So basically what I've gathered from the majority of you is it's a combination of where you live, how many hours you get and how hard you work that can bring in a decent salary? I know I would enjoy it, I love working on computers and everything encompassing them, but I think I would get bored and tired of sitting in a cubicle for years and years. Like you guys said, money is definitely a big factor, but it's not the most important aspect either...
Old 08-23-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no experience in either field, but I would think about being a 50 year old man having to do manual labor for a living. It would be cool at 20,30,even 40. But after that I think it would begin to suck to HAVE to do it as a job. A hobby is one thing, but doing it day in and day out would get old. I'd rather sit on my *** behind a computer, than barely being able to get my old *** from under a car.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Cold hard truth is you dont make jack unless you are high up or own your own place. I have known a few that were dealer techs and they dont clear as much as I do with just a high school degree. Its all in what oyu love to do. Im going ot finish my degree up in construction engineering and hopefully make lots of moneya nd have my hobby of working on vehicles on the side.
i concurr...my dad went to UTI back in the days. i dont think he has ever made over 35,000. i made more that him at 20 than he has ever made.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm at UTI in Mooresville right now. I'm actually a little over 1/2 way through my program. I can see where people are saying that a lot of the people don't care. Out of the 25 people in the class I'm in there's maybe 10 of us that care and are getting held up by the ones that don't. I think getting the good job from going to UTI is more about working hard to get into one of the Manufacturer's programs...ie Audi, Porsche, BMW. The benefit I see from it is being able to earn the Ford credits so quick that you'll have when graduating if you take that part of the program and also the 1 year of shop "experience" (don't know I'd personally call it that) when you get done. FWIW, I was at a major University studying IT and switched to come up here because I don't wanna be stuck behind a desk the rest of my life.