Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

got me a set of 241's

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I wouldnt put them on till you do the 346, chances are when the 5.3 meets its demise it will be due to detonation and send piston chunks flying at your heads therefore screwing them up. I like your cam choice for the 346 but with a wider lobe seperation due to running nitrous on it. The wider lobe seperation will give you higher cylinder pressures which equals mopowa. Also another reason to wait on putting the heads on is because you are goign to have to mill them like .06 to realize any decent compression gain and at that point you are tlaking getting the intake side milled and possibly piston to valve clearance problems although I doubt it since the 5.3 pistons are dished. I wouldnt want to hack up a set of heads that much and possibly chance destroying them when the 5.3 gives up the ghost.

good info, I did consider the chances of blowing up the 5.3 and messing up a head. I'll probably wait then to put them on. I dont know how much longer this one's gonna last. its got almost 110K on it now, and I'm not slowing down on the amount of bottles I go through either LOL... if I wait that long I'll probably have a valve job and all done then. I think 10.5:1 out of it with the right pistons will be a nice combo. and the cam specs I mentioned above on a 112+4 lsa would probably be better. I want to keep the lsa as narrow as possible though when I re-cam.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben those heads are cheap and with just a mill you won't have much money in them at all. If you bust one or both oh well no big loss. You aren't really going to throw 241s on a built motor anyway right?

Throw them on there and see what the Goose can do.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

I wouldnt mind milling my 706's about .020 and running them until the motor breaks, I can just tell this cam wants more compression...

The 241's milled and ported with a nice valve job will flow plenty for what I want with those cubic inches. If I were to go to a 6.0 block and 370+ci, id go with some nicely prepped 317's or some mild aftermarket castings. I'm a firm believer in the fact that its VERY easy to "over cam" and "over head" a motor... most of its hype driven, I think I can hold out until I build this 5.3 block up to put them on, it'll just give me an incintive to finish it.

I'm still going to talk to WCCH and see what they have to say about the whole situation. I'm sure he'll give me sound advice on which way to go with the whole deal.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I wouldnt mind milling my 706's about .020 and running them until the motor breaks, I can just tell this cam wants more compression...

The 241's milled and ported with a nice valve job will flow plenty for what I want with those cubic inches. If I were to go to a 6.0 block and 370+ci, id go with some nicely prepped 317's or some mild aftermarket castings. I'm a firm believer in the fact that its VERY easy to "over cam" and "over head" a motor... most of its hype driven, I think I can hold out until I build this 5.3 block up to put them on, it'll just give me an incintive to finish it.

I'm still going to talk to WCCH and see what they have to say about the whole situation. I'm sure he'll give me sound advice on which way to go with the whole deal.
well from the sounds of it you changed your whole plans. make up your f-in mind so we can give you advice!
Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

well, turd, you know I'm going to punch this motor out when it goes, thats no secret ... but like Cody says, why risk messing up a perfectly good head, even if they are cheap. just all things to consider.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
well, turd, you know I'm going to punch this motor out when it goes, thats no secret ... but like Cody says, why risk messing up a perfectly good head, even if they are cheap. just all things to consider.
Well you know damn well you aren't putting 241s on a built motor. So it's not an issue.