Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

zzebes you have the JPR tool?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you do not need to use the air compressor/spark plug attachment.
The JPR/Thunder Racing lifter tool works great, I bought the rods a while back, and have used them several times. Yes the dowel rods work, but the lifters can/could (knock on wood) still fall. I did a cam swap on a 210K mile motor, and they stayed up on their own.
you do not have to buy new gaskets. Remove and clean the timing cover gasket very carefully, and you can reuse it.
heating up your pully works, bake it at 250 for 30 min and it works . . . OR get the crank pully installer tool, and it's on in 5 min. with out heating it up.
Comp's spring compressor tool works great, . . . the one from Autozone sucks, and it's hard as hell to get to the rear springs with it.

Get 2 gal of the orange stuff, and you don't have to change your oil right away, but it's a good idea for later.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootall
you do not need to use the air compressor/spark plug attachment.
The JPR/Thunder Racing lifter tool works great, I bought the rods a while back, and have used them several times. Yes the dowel rods work, but the lifters can/could (knock on wood) still fall. I did a cam swap on a 210K mile motor, and they stayed up on their own.
you do not have to buy new gaskets. Remove and clean the timing cover gasket very carefully, and you can reuse it.
heating up your pully works, bake it at 250 for 30 min and it works . . . OR get the crank pully installer tool, and it's on in 5 min. with out heating it up.
Comp's spring compressor tool works great, . . . the one from Autozone sucks, and it's hard as hell to get to the rear springs with it.

Get 2 gal of the orange stuff, and you don't have to change your oil right away, but it's a good idea for later.

Thanks for the info. I understand the utility and elegance of the spark plug attachment to keep then valves up.......but as you say it seems as though that is a little much. I figure I'll just use a couple pen magnets to hang on to the valves while I am working.

I guess I will buy the jpr and spring compressor tools....though having them around might be too enabling for future cam swaps so I'll prolly sell em after.

Has anybody heard from Charlie lately?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Fast lane preferred

Well Thunder Racing is back ordered on the lifter tool so.....either I borrow them or go with the sticks........
Old 09-27-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlvrSierra4.8
zzebes you have the JPR tool?
Yeah i have the Spring tool and the Lifter tools
Old 09-27-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

this thread still here, could've did the cam swap by now lol, jfwy, good luck
Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Fast lane preferred

true but I need the parts to get it done right......you volunteering?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol i got the pulley puller, got it from autozone but never returned it
Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Banging some gears

Originally Posted by Colby 04
Let me draw you a picture...literally

The left pic in the drawing is the JPR tool(the green semicircle blob)...you see it's a semicircle that engages the notch in the lifter. The dowel(the green circular blob), in the center pic, does not. The far right pic is a dramatization of what can happen if the lifter falls while the dowel sits back and watches. I have no idea what happens when a lifter falls...but I thought for entertainment purposes I'd include it

This is a pic of the camshaft location...you can see the tips of the lifters hanging and the oil journals at the top right and top left corners of the pic. The red circles in my drawing are those oil journals where you stick the JPR tool.

This is what the lifters look like and you can see the notch

Again, these are my observations and you don't have to take my word for it I've seen the JPR tool in use, I've seen how the lifters cross those oil journals and that's when I went and bought pen magnets to do my swap. Let me know when you're doing it and I'll see if I can swing by
i see no red circles anywhere in your drawings.

$.60 worth of wooden dowels did the trick on my cam swap... no expensive tools were used
Old 09-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Fast lane preferred

Parts are in, including a spring tool, and Charlie got in touch, plus I have a long weekend coming up so I will look to swap on Sat or Sunday. Volunteers for assistance?

This will be my first swap and could use some help......like I said before, I pay in beer and pizza.

Charles if you wanna bring that puller, cool, otherwise I will rent one later on in the week.

Let me know (pm if needed for directions, phone number etc....)

Quick Reply: Help me cam swap