Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

how long do you think my trans will last

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thiems
Putting in a servo and turning up the line pressure are two very different things concerning how hard they are on the transmission. Servo = good. More line pressure = bad.

Your acheiving the same goal with differnent ways of doing it. You could kinda look at it by saying a 100hp wet shot is safer on hard parts then a 100hp dry, take out fueling in this situation. Just that one is safer because it is different. Your still pushing a 100hp in the intake by a bottle.

Clutches in the 4l60e are probably 80% of blown 60's. a shift kit/upgraded servo allow for less slippage of the clutch. Their is one person on this board that I have seen state that a shift kit is bad on a tranny but im not to sure he knows what the hells goes on in a tranny.

shift kit is ~100 bucks plus a new valve body platethingy. Very good idea if you are considering adding a cam and few peformance parts.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
Your acheiving the same goal with differnent ways of doing it. You could kinda look at it by saying a 100hp wet shot is safer on hard parts then a 100hp dry, take out fueling in this situation. Just that one is safer because it is different. Your still pushing a 100hp in the intake by a bottle.

Clutches in the 4l60e are probably 80% of blown 60's. a shift kit/upgraded servo allow for less slippage of the clutch. Their is one person on this board that I have seen state that a shift kit is bad on a tranny but im not to sure he knows what the hells goes on in a tranny.

shift kit is ~100 bucks plus a new valve body platethingy. Very good idea if you are considering adding a cam and few peformance parts.
Maybe I am wrong but I always heard that upping the line pressure was harder on different parts than a vette servo so that was the basis behind my posts on so I could very well be wrong...could anyone explain this further for me?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take a pin, fine point for example. I suck with examples but this might work. lol

Your fine point pen(servo) hit the band to shift into 2nd and 4th. Now the vette servo just upgraded to a sharpie marker for more touching the band during hte shift. But the servo is also designed within itsself to shift harder. Now upping the line pressure and the servo you are over doing it and going to hurt it or some other things.

This probably doenst expalin ****!! but I tryed and its WAY past my bedtime.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:19 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Take a pin, fine point for example. I suck with examples but this might work. lol

Your fine point pen(servo) hit the band to shift into 2nd and 4th. Now the vette servo just upgraded to a sharpie marker for more touching the band during hte shift. But the servo is also designed within itsself to shift harder. Now upping the line pressure and the servo you are over doing it and going to hurt it or some other things.

This probably doenst expalin ****!! but I tryed and its WAY past my bedtime.
Seems adequate. Good shot. Works for me (of course, I knew this already).
Old 07-03-2007, 07:23 AM
11 Second Truck Club

a shift kit is just an old school way to make a trans shift firmer.
why try to change the way something works when it is already controlled by the pcm.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
a shift kit is just an old school way to make a trans shift firmer.
why try to change the way something works when it is already controlled by the pcm.
So your saying NOT to put a shift kit in a 4l60e? And that is only makes it shift firmer? That since hte pcm can turn up line pressure that the shift kit is not going to prolong the life of the clutches and a servo prolong the life of the 2-4 band?

Try calling FLT and see if they want to warranty a lvl5 65e WITH OUT a shift kit and leave it completely up to the pcm to shift the transmission.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:36 AM
11 Second Truck Club

So your saying NOT to put a shift kit in a 4l60e? And that is only makes it shift firmer? That since hte pcm can turn up line pressure that the shift kit is not going to prolong the life of the clutches and a servo prolong the life of the 2-4 band?

Try calling FLT and see if they want to warranty a lvl5 65e WITH OUT a shift kit and leave it completely up to the pcm to shift the transmission.
ever heard of upgrading hard parts (NOT A SHIFT KIT)?
one senerio... take a stock 60e with ~80k miles.
it's been through it's whole life with a fairly stock/bolt on engine.
next day throw a shift kit and converter in it and watch it not last for very long.

oh i don't need to call FLT, maybe you should since your so concerned with them. (no offence to the co.)
Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one senerio... take a stock 60e with ~80k miles.

I did mine at 70K something, set for "full race" with out a stall. Later on I took out the washers. At 106K something I put in the cammed 6.0. I ran that until recently at 111K or so. . . . . still together, daily driver.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:48 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Tootall

I did mine at 70K something, set for "full race" with out a stall. Later on I took out the washers. At 106K something I put in the cammed 6.0. I ran that until recently at 111K or so. . . . . still together, daily driver.
you are king!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are king!
I'm sure it's a ticking time bomb like everyone else's

Quick Reply: how long do you think my trans will last