Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Mechanics...anybody ...help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did not read all the post but you do need to pull the plugs again and see what they look like now and if you can do a compression test check fuel pressure and the injector may either not have enough fuel an injector stuck close are just the opposite.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Tribe Shaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after 14 hours of playing around with it, i think it is time to take it in
and plug it in to the shop computer and find out what died that is making it run bad.
before any of us can second guess, sight unseen.

that shop computer can spit out what is dead or needs to be replaced
in just a few minutes.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

I agree with the computer thing, but funny thing is the SES light isn't even on...lol

I started to take the TB off yesterday and inspect it, but after abotu 20 minutes of trying to get the air box off of it I got pissed and left it alone. Seems there is one really small bolt holding a tab of the box onto the TB. I bet I dropped my socket a dozen times trying to get to it.

I am gonna take it to the shop down the road today and see if anything comes up. Bad thing is she lives in the fukin boonies and it's a pretty good drive to the shop adn I don't want to burn the brand new cat up on the way. I might just rent a tow dolly from u-haul and tote it to the shop.

The 14 hour thing is because there is one shop around her with a comp and he isn't open on Saturday's....now I knwo why I left that damn town.

Now my question is this....would any of the above just happen all of a sudden? It was fine when she drove it to work adn on the way home it started this ****.

The re-cap....it will start, but you have to peddle the gas, it will idle (rough) and take gas but is not real responsive, once it is in gear it starts to backfire adn has no power at all, the brand new cat is glowing orange during this.

Thanks for everyones help so far, it wouldn't be so bad but I work nights (10 hours) and then have to deal with this during the day.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:27 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Sounds like you're getting too much fuel. Let's see...

Idle "ok", but revving doesn't seem to be smooth - result of too much fuel being fed & injectors playing "catch-up" to burn it... which results in backfiring if unburned fuel reaches the exhaust. That's what happens in a carb'd setup, and the reason why you'd lean it out.

Now, what would cause richness in a computer controlled setup... hmmm... detection of too much air. Also, bad o2 sensors would cause the computer to add more fuel. Even so, a stuck-open injector would. There's a few ways to look at it. I'd do what litreddevil said, and pull the new plugs out (ALL of them), and see if one or more look abnormal (and has seen more fuel than others). If an injector is stuck open, you'll notice. Otherwise, get to a shop with a computer to check for system alerts.

Not to be funny, but when you turn the key to the on position (from off), does the cluster's initial light check activate the SES light to make sure it works? Just a thought. Good luck!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Yeah the SES light does when you move the key, I thought of that yesterday as well.

All of the plugs had a light gray color to them except for one that was dark gray/black, but none were wet. I'm gonna get up this afternoon and see if I can get the TB off and check it out. Is there any way I can check to see if an injector is stuck without taking it to the shop?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

i still think its a TPS
Old 02-05-2007, 09:22 AM
The Wingman

You could try a noid light, it wont tell you if the injector itself is stuck but it will tell you if you have an electrical prob like a short to ground between the injectors and the ecu, or a bad ecu.

my mom has a 99 pontiac grand am, one day it started, spitting and sputterin, and dumping fuel. You could really smell gas. I put the noid light on it, one was staying lit. Got a used ECU from a junk yard, (had to have it programmed, but I know a guy at the GM dealership). Swapped the ecu out and fired it right up, it ran fine.

Last edited by LilRick; 02-05-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bet you have jumped time a couple teeth...... seen it on more than one occasion...