Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

need opinions on project truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need opinions on project truck

im lookin at gettin me a project truck and this looks to fit the bill pretty good

plan is to eventually drop in a 750 crank HP 502 BBC w/built TH400 and a 12bolt(already has)

hopin to get mid 11s out of it and if i dont get real close with the above setup ill get either a carbplate nitrous kit or a 8-71 blower for it

it has no motor( 250cu.in. L6 originally) or tranny, needs paint body work, has red interior , will be changed to black interior

i love this body style and it could be a long-term project that me and my dad would both enjoy working on together

its showing a little over 90k on the clock not bad for a 77 model truck if thats not 190k

what do you guys think its worth, $100, $200, or more or less

its been setting at the old fire dept. for a few years now and ill have to ask around to find out who owns it

it has a new hood, a steering column and driveshaft in the bed

onto the pics:

Old 02-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are small block chevy manifolds in there. Are you sure it doesnt have the dang ole SBC motor mounts? You could build a mean *** 406ci.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Mr. Obvious

i dont know but when the vin is decoded it says it came with a 250cu.in L6 from the factory

yea i dont know why i didnt notice there are v8 manifolds in there

best thing about the truck is the rear end - 12bolt

its gonna be hard to get 750hp out of a 406, besides id LOVE to have a cammed big block and there's nothin quite like the TQ of a built 500+cu.in. big block and i like the sound of a roaring big block rather than a screaming small block

thing is i already have a few parts for it : new chrome wheels and tires, rear bumper, center console

and the real reason i want to build a BBC is beacuse my dad had a built 402 w/ 427/425hp vette heads on it when he was younger and id like to build a motor together cuz thats something id really like to know how to do
Old 02-27-2007, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Doesn't appear to have much bad rot on it. I restored my 81 Scottsdale 4X4 a few years back adn the rot is already back on it. Looks like I need a new cab or I didn't catch all of it when I did it a while back.

Seems to be a good project, but with the older trucks around here it's getting harder to find parts locally.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Mr. Obvious

i dont think i need much for that i cant buy aftermarket except for stock bucket seats

the biggest cost will be paint/body work with motor/trans in a CLOSE second and i dont do body work
Old 02-28-2007, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Do yourself a favor and get the metal replacement panels for the bed rot, I filled mine with sheet metal and then used filler over it and it cracked within 3 months.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 AM
Sexy Party Mod

You can pick up replacement panels for pretty cheap. Thats what im gonna do when i restore the 71' cheyenne im planning on. The only thing you may have to worry about is the cab itself.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

I found a 69 SWB chevy yesterday with a 355 roller engine/ 4 speed in it. Needs some TLC, but the body is straight....been inside a shop for the past 12 years!

After all this stuff settles over my wife passing, I might look into it to keep me busy for a while.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Mr. Obvious

Originally Posted by bigkountry
After all this stuff settles over my wife passing, I might look into it to keep me busy for a while.
sorry to hear about that man, hope all goes well for ya

i think i might get it and try to find a 454/TH400 pull-out somewhere but this is what id eventually like to build with a few tweaks of my own...

http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0410...p_block_chevy/

then do a resto-rod type of job on it with mostly stock parts and a few of the usual, mandatory muscle truck mods ( wheels, tires, semi-shaved, grille, hood , etc.)
Old 03-01-2007, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

I've still got a 64 powerglide that I'm holding onto for some reason...lol

I guess keeping it until I find the right project, looks like you are on the right track. I have a friend that just sold his pro street 75 Chevy SWB, (468 BB, glide, tubbed, 9 inch, shaved, Nos).....it was a mean bitch to say the least.

Quick Reply: need opinions on project truck