Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Proper Definition of Coonass. Serious Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Definition of Coonass. Serious Discussion.

I was on another field trip this weekend and today we were waiting to board the ferry at Boliver Penninsula. I was sitting with a couple of people of African American descent, and we were joking around, pointing to people and making up funny anecdotes about them. So i pointed at this old black guy said, "this ole boy is a coonass from the bayou..."

The black girl that was sitting near me started saying, "help me Jesus" and doing the whole prayer rutine. I didnt know what was going on for about 30 minutes. She and the girl next to me was passing notes back and forth. The girl next to me kept dropping me hints that the black girl behind me was having a panic attack or something and i finally figured out why. I had used a racial slur in a derrogatory manner. WTF? She was flipping out without me knowing for a long time. The Offendee didnt even know what the definition of Coonass is.

Maybe i was wrong in thinking that a coonass was a person from Louisianna/bayou thats kind of rough around the edges.

Apparently she took it as a "coon" (im not trying to offend anybody here, so take it as such). The girl next to me tried explaining what the term "coonass" means to her but stupid bitch didnt want to hear it because she knew what it meant. I didnt talk to her for the rest of the trip because i figured that if she took it that way, and wouldnt listen to the girl next to me that she wouldnt listen to me.

So can somebody tell me that im wrong in that the term coonass means:

A rough and rowdy cajun from Louisianna (no relation to race, creed or color.)
Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From now on just call them a "Randy" or "Litreddevil"

I would have assumed the same as you. What the hell did she think you meant? What was here definition of a coonass?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Coonass
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A "coonass" bumper sticker.Coonass, or Coon-***, is an epithet used in reference to a person of Cajun ethnicity.

Although some Cajuns use the word in regard to themselves, other Cajuns view the term as an ethnic slur against the Cajun people, especially when used by non-Cajuns. Socioeconomic factors appear to influence how Cajuns are likely to view the term: working-class Cajuns tend to regard the word "coonass" as a badge of ethnic pride; whereas middle- and upper-class Cajuns are more likely to regard the term as insulting or degrading, even when used by fellow Cajuns in reference to themselves.

Despite an effort by Cajun activists to stamp out the term, it can be found on T-shirts, hats, and bumperstickers throughout Acadiana, the 22-parish Cajun homeland in south Louisiana.
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
From now on just call them a "Randy" or "Litreddevil"

When I talked to him last night he was walking his gator before he put it to bed in the bathtub.

IMO you are dead on in your definition of a "coonass".
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass
Old 03-25-2007, 11:24 PM
11 Second Truck Club

i get called that name at work just about everyday ahahaha
it's either that or bobby boucher, ragin cajun, bla bla bla!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:09 AM
Tribe Shaman

Until you drop down in to the bayou of Louisiana and party with a bunch of coonass with a zydeco band.
a table filled with crawfish, all of the alcohol you can drink and a diffrent woman on every dance.
you have not lived yet, in fact you missed out.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

damn i need to go party with you coonasses
Old 03-26-2007, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Notice my Signature.

Coonass is in no was derogotory ---- the asshats that think it is arent really coonasses. LOL

And randy has a pet gator? FFS i need to go to his house --- I need some skin to make a new wallet my old one is gettin warn out.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:24 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Glad i havent been thinking it was the wrong thing for all these years.

She though i said he was a "Coon" and got real worked up about it. She supposedly grew up in the "hood" of Dallas and that the term "coonass" meant a derrogatory name for black person. She knew everything. This is what the girl next to me said.

And they call people ignorant for being racist....I call her ignorant/nieve for not knowing the proper meaning of the word. I think she just wanted attention. I was really pissed off yesterday.

Last edited by FarmerBeau; 03-26-2007 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Proper Definition of Coonass. Serious Discussion.