Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Proper Definition of Coonass. Serious Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wikipedia is dead on correct, except I've never met someone that takes offense to being called a coonass. Both of my parents are from the Acadiana area (Acadiana is shortened as Cajun... say Acadiana fast a bunch of times ) which is mostly around the Lafayette area. It's an area with a strong influence of French culture. The heavy accent and slang you hear is greatly influenced by the French language, a lot of the people in the area speak fluent "Cajun French"
Old 03-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

They ever catch that gorrilla what punched you in tha eye?

-Helen Boucher "Waterboy"

Coon-*** vs coonass.

You make the call. Sensitive and stupid collegues makes for a very long day.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From what Ive always been explained, from old coonasses, it came from the way old days when Creole's were around in the southern areas of Louisiana in the Bayou's and swamps. What they all have told me is that it originated from the creole's. A creole is someone with a little "coon" in them (Im using this as a racial slur, but not in a racist way) Since then it has evolved to represent a class of people, and herritage. There are a lot of people futher south than me that are way less coonass than me. I have met a very few creoles that get offended being called "coonass" but not many are offended at all. Hell I refer to myself as one.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:34 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yea, I like how the majority of responces are from texans who know absolutly nothing about the coonass way of life. I mean seriously, how many of you have truly owned a pet alligator (rip al-e-gator) (my kids named it I was thinking killer would have been better oh well)
Old 03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I loved mine when I was a kid .... then my dad had to find it a week later and decided it was supper LOL
Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the lesson here is what is one way back home is not necessarily the same way somewhere else. I know that saying your term in Detroit would more than likely get your *** shot.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Sexy Party Mod

I guess its the whole "different strokes for different folks" thing. Oh well, I know what i meant and my parents raised me better. I told the girl sitting next to me, if i wanted to call him a "coon"(again...we need a footnote here ) i would have done so but im not that kind of person.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Truck addict

yall are still a bunch of homos that live over that way.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

john you live close enough to coon country to be a coon
Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by white1
Oh yea, I like how the majority of responces are from texans who know absolutly nothing about the coonass way of life. I mean seriously, how many of you have truly owned a pet alligator (rip al-e-gator) (my kids named it I was thinking killer would have been better oh well)
HERES MINE! the guy across the sidewalk from me (apt) has one right now. i dont plan to act like i know the "TRUE" definition of a coonass. ill just call whoever i see fit the name no matter the color of their skin. mat...you are a coonass

Quick Reply: Proper Definition of Coonass. Serious Discussion.