Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Reputable tuners near Ms?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reputable tuners near Ms?

Hey guys, i'm about to get my feet wet with my 2000 gmc sierra rcsb 4.8 and i'm trying to get things in mind for what i want to do.

So far i'm planning on a bolt on LQ9 swap and my main concern right now is tuning. I have read up on the Wheatley and Black Bear tunes and i see that sometimes you can catch those guys local, but as far as getting an actual local dyno tune, does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

I come from the import world and we would use TDC in Mobile, Al for dyno tuning, and i'm sure those guys can tune a GMC but i would much rather use someone specialized and familiar with these trucks.

I'm not opposed to driving but not too far, hopefully I can find someone in the AL/MS/LA area, any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Any GM guys use JMS south of Lucedale, Ms? I hear a lot about them from the Ford guys and i looked at their site and see that they offer a handheld tuner for GM. Anyone have any experiences with them?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't help you, but I would trust Wheatley mail order over anyone else in person. He stands behind what he does and knows these engines inside and out. Just my $.02

I've also heard consistently great things about Nelson in San Antonio.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Can't help you, but I would trust Wheatley mail order over anyone else in person. He stands behind what he does and knows these engines inside and out. Just my $.02

I've also heard consistently great things about Nelson in San Antonio.
Thanks for input, I have heard only positive feedback about him. Also, I would like to have enough done to my truck to justify driving to Houston or Dallas for a nice pro tune.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on what head/cam setup you plan on goin with. But usually Wheatley/BlackBear can just about nail it first try. They have been doin this for a long time.

Or something else to consider, buying the software and tuning yourself.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Depending on what head/cam setup you plan on goin with. But usually Wheatley/BlackBear can just about nail it first try. They have been doin this for a long time.

Or something else to consider, buying the software and tuning yourself.
Being that i'm an electronics guy, I honestly would prefer to do just that. On my Acura I tuned the car myself using a digital controller that I wired into the ecu, but honestly being a newb to GM performance, I have only begun to explore my tuning options and I typically will read up on product for weeks and weeks before making any kind of decision on the best route to take. I looked at EFI Live earlier, regardless I would still like to hop on the dyno to see graphical results.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used Geoff at eps in baton rouge. He tuned my truck perfect. I have heard good things about jms doing good stuff and they are really close but Baton Rouge isn't that far away either. You can also mail him your pcm to flash a startup tune so he can get you rolling and take it to him. If interested shoot me a pm.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

PM coming
Old 11-20-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

There is also XXX in Pensacola. As mentioned earlier, if you are capable, go the self tuning route with EFI Live or HPTuners.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigKID
There is also XXX in Pensacola. As mentioned earlier, if you are capable, go the self tuning route with EFI Live or HPTuners.
Thanks, I had not heard of them before. I'm going to keep looking into the EFI Live, also I will check out HP to see what they have going on.

Quick Reply: Reputable tuners near Ms?