Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Sealy (Lonestar Raceway) Feb 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ap2002
good explanation, but I think alot of people are real disapointed as mentioned, and I dont blame them, it cost some people alot of $ that day, due to a not prepped track, I myself would never go back... who's to say it wont happen again with poor decisions like those?

good luck though...
And he needs to realize we are racing trucks not cars so track prep is even more important, cars trapping almost 200mph with big fat slicks and badass rear suspension with good weight transfer.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Cracks in concrete pacing are mainly caused by three things(Im a construction materials inspector )
1. Poorly conditioned subgrade(natural soils) and paving base, basically they didnt compact and condition the soils correctly so they can support a structure
2. Construction joints in the concrete are spaced too far apart, in a track situation the construction joint will be length wise down the track but since it is a slab like that the construction joint needs to be very wide(in this case something in the 1.5" range IMO)
3. The saw cuts werent deep enough/enough made, these cuts are about an 1/8th of an inch wide and usually about 4" deep they release some of the pressure from the contracting/expending of the concrete with temp changes. They can easily be filled in with tar then track prep done on top of it.

If I had to bet, from the description you gave Beau, the soils under the track werent prepped right. If thats the case nothing can be done for the track it will jsut get worse as it rains more and more, it will need to be ripped up and started over. Asphalt, is a great product for normal streets but basically all asphalt is, is limestone fines with 3/8ths or small limestone aggregate, with a tar mixture, the problem with it is that the aggregates when rolled in still have a coarse texture to them, even if the actual surface looks smooth. Over time the fines in between the aggregate will be worked out of the coarse aggregate. This it will start to crack. Thats part of why you see alot of potholes in asphalt paving, along with retards not prepping the paving base right.

And thats your lesson in concrete and asphalt for the day.
Very nice. Sealy lies in the Texas coastal planes between two major rivers that have been meandering, eroding and unloading sediment for millions of years. The soils are fluvial deposits so they vary from what type of material is deposited due to the energy of the river at that point in time (particle motion vs. energy). The soils are probably a mixture of clays, silt and quartz sand which, you know how clays act when they get wet and dry up, could cause a lot of expansion and contraction of soil.

What would you say would be a suitable foundation soil? I was thinking a Limestone base (Kallichi sp?). I didnt pay attention to the base material. What would cause the little flakes that were off of the surface? They ranged from a dime sized to coke can sized divots with conchoidal fractures. They were anywhere from 1/8"-3/16" deep. Almost like somebody hit the concrete with a hammer and then brushed away the loose material. Could this be caused by a mixture poor concrete composition and the overbearing Texas sun? It covered the concrete portion of the track so the thought of that much debris striking it seems unlikely.

Im a Geology major so the construction aspect of things is a little above me. I did take an Engineering Geology class but it was a blow off and was hardly informative. We talked mainly about bridge scour, drilling mud composition, erosion and the effects of faulting on structures.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
Very nice. Sealy lies in the Texas coastal planes between two major rivers that have been meandering, eroding and unloading sediment for millions of years. The soils are fluvial deposits so they vary from what type of material is deposited due to the energy of the river at that point in time (particle motion vs. energy). The soils are probably a mixture of clays, silt and quartz sand which, you know how clays act when they get wet and dry up, could cause a lot of expansion and contraction of soil.

What would you say would be a suitable foundation soil? I was thinking a Limestone base (Kallichi sp?). I didnt pay attention to the base material. What would cause the little flakes that were off of the surface? They ranged from a dime sized to coke can sized divots with conchoidal fractures. They were anywhere from 1/8"-3/16" deep. Almost like somebody hit the concrete with a hammer and then brushed away the loose material. Could this be caused by a mixture poor concrete composition and the overbearing Texas sun? It covered the concrete portion of the track so the thought of that much debris striking it seems unlikely.

Im a Geology major so the construction aspect of things is a little above me. I did take an Engineering Geology class but it was a blow off and was hardly informative. We talked mainly about bridge scour, drilling mud composition, erosion and the effects of faulting on structures.
God damn my head hurts, i'm going back to sleep. **** i'm at work, nevermind
Old 02-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Teching In

i'll tell you what ive heard less crying from my two year old i give up on convincing you to give it another chance so drive to baytown or hmp whatever just quit running your mouths about sealy
i was told the same about the track prep friday night, very good hook
so that means more passes a night for us
thank you
Old 02-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by lownslow
i'll tell you what ive heard less crying from my two year old i give up on convincing you to give it another chance so drive to baytown or hmp whatever just quit running your mouths about sealy
thank you

what a crappy first post. go away

as for the track hooking up TOO good!!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you
Who the hell are you
Old 02-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau

The pitting and chipping you are talking about is most likely from bad concrete finishers when the concrete is placed. When they screed the concrete if they work it too much with the trowel machine it will "burn" the concrete. When the concrete is "burnt" basically the concrete is already dry on top and the swirling motion of the trowel machine keeps spinning on it, it drys the top inch or so, so bad that it doesnt have time to bond with the concrete below it therefore chipping and pitting, as to how long it takes for this to start happening all depends on how bad they screwed up.

On the correct type of foundation material, that all depends on what type of subgrade is out there. Around Austin we have alot of fat dark brown clays which in the case of a decent sized building, the pad will have to be excavated down 4-6 feet, then lay back in 2 feet of the subrgade but moisture condition it. What that does is minimize the amount of shrinkage that will happen later on. Then the rest of the 4ish feet you have left will need to be back filled in with a suitable limestone base. Up here we us a place called Texas Crushed Stone, you will want a LOW PI material something in the 4-6 range, IE no clay in it. Paving base can be called alot of things and depending on the PI of the material too. Anything from regular ole paving base, to superflex, to building pad select fill, the list goes on. If you ever need to build some badass dirt let me know, I can help you out
thank you
Im sorry you got on a board that isnt full of morons, and just so happen to have two people who know a little bit about construction, I have personally never been to Sealy but from Beau has described I can tell you right now, you are trying to polish a turd with that track. I would like to go out there and really take a look at it myself but that would be a waste of time. Im sorry non of us are excited about some friends misfortune all because there isnt anyone out at that track with any competence.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

thank you
not running our mouths just because.....

all these are FACTS about things that happened that day, and things that happened to people that cost them $$ to repair their ride cause of poor decisions made by people that work there, and if that includes you then oh well....
Old 02-11-2008, 06:01 AM
12 Second Club

thank you
"i'll tell you what ive heard",
I never heard someone crawl so far up someones *** to back a place that is prepped half ***....
This isn't the first time this has happened
there is only one reason to do this, and that would be that you "PROBABLY" have some type of connection there.. Especially with you only having one "OFFICIAL" post here on the board.. Your talking to a group of guys here that don't just complain about crap just to see there problem typed up on a computer screen.. They bring up a legit complaint..
This is Beau's second drive shaft to blow out there..
I have been out there a few times as well, and every time it's the same thing..Poor track conditions.. I have lost traction about the 1/8th mile mark out there as well, and almost hit the wall.. I will never go out there again.. It would be worthless for me to do so... ----- Hour+ drive, only to have the track not prepared, loose traction, and take a chance of hitting the wall, like Charlie did. Then try and figure out how I am going to get me car back home. I don't think so. Who knows who else this has happened too out there..
Poor track conditions..
The Track prep guy even stated in his post that the track is screwed up.. point made.. and doesn't sound like there will be any attempt to fix the problems.

example:
Originally Posted by firedog
Like someone was saying earlier. We had just Scarped the Track that day and washed it down. It was cold and the track had no heat(I take the blame for the torch not being used.) and I agree is was slick. Even after spraying it twice and dragging it. Should i have called the racing off? maybe.
Maybe you should have, but when a place is not held liable for their decision to shut a track down because the track is not prepared correctly. The incident that happened that Friday will continue to happen.

Nobody here is trying to run their mouths, just voicing a concern about the lack of track prep.. I garantee(sp) more than 3/4 of the people that go to a track cant afford to wreck there vehicle every time they go out there. I cant and I make damn good money..

with this being said I am going to step down..
Old 02-11-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

im hoping this thread will motivate them to fix the track. rubber needs to be laid down after scraping but losing control at the 1/8 has no excuses unless your one of the big dogs....this happened on a 13.8-13.9 second truck on e/t streets. no excuse should be accepted for that one. imagine if one of the mid 11 second trucks and lower were out there trying to make a pass

Quick Reply: Sealy (Lonestar Raceway) Feb 1