Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Smoked Beef Brisket HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:38 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smoked Beef Brisket HELP

Some of you might know that I'm on vacation this week in Arkansas. When I'm not working I love to cook as a hobby. My dad has a Oklahoma Joe's smoker with side box that we are going to use this week and I'm looking for some advise. We have a 8lb brisket that I have a recipe for a Texas style brisket with a rub and a mop.
The rub
1/2 cup chili powder
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup granulated garlic
1/4 cup granulated onion
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. dry mustard
2 bay leaves

The mop
12 ounces beer
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil, preferably canola or corn
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. Brisket Seasoning

My question is what temp do you guy's smoke at? I have done some research and have found between 175-250*. Also the cooking time I have found is between 1 hour per pound to 1-1/4 hours per pound. What are your suggestions and how do you do it yourself? We have 2 big bags of charcoal and a big bag of mesquite chips. I think that should work but I will be honest, this yank has never smoked before. Help a brother out! Vince
Old 12-16-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done lots of meat smoking a lot of different ways and I can honestly say I've never gotten to concerned with the temp of the smoker. But that being said I like to do most of the cooking under a lower temp and then raise it up for about the last 30 mins to 1 hour. ~8-10 hours for what you have is what I would shoot for. Really the smoking temp as long as it is between the range you mentioned doesn't make much difference and the time it takes to cook will depend on the temp.

All that being said I would probably shoot for around 200* smoking temp and check the temp inside the meat after 8 hours. Shooting for about a 165* temp inside the meat.

Don't forget to soak the wood chips in water for a couple hours.. and don't get to crazy with the smoke on that style of smoker or you may easily over smoke the meat. It's really only the 1st hour or two that the smoke imparts the flavor to the meat.

Last edited by truckmann; 12-16-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by truckmann
I've done lots of meat smoking a lot of different ways and I can honestly say I've never gotten to concerned with the temp of the smoker. But that being said I like to do most of the cooking under a lower temp and then raise it up for about the last 30 mins to 1 hour. ~8-10 hours for what you have is what I would shoot for. Really the smoking temp as long as it is between the range you mentioned doesn't make much difference and the time it takes to cook will depend on the temp.

All that being said I would probably shoot for around 200* smoking temp and check the temp inside the meat after 8 hours. Shooting for about a 165* temp inside the meat.

Don't forget to soak the wood chips in water for a couple hours.. and don't get to crazy with the smoke on that style of smoker or you may easily over smoke the meat. It's really only the 1st hour or two that the smoke imparts the flavor to the meat.
+1 lower temp to keep it juicy and get the flavor in it, and check the meat temp.... and dont worry when you cut the meat it may look red, but thats actually the smoking that causes the "red" appearance, just make sure the meat in the center reaches the proper temp like ryan said and your golden.... have fun and make sure your not to busy to check on the meat from time to time
Old 12-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Where's the Beef?

i agree with Ryan. I think my uncle sets the temps between 200-250 when smoking hams.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh I almost forgot....
Drinking the right amount of beer while smoking almost guarantees that it will be good...

Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 PM
9 Second Truck Club

I can't help you make the brisket but I sure could help eating it.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Tribe Shaman

yeah it has got to reach 165 in the thick parts.
put your rub on good as most of it will drip off with the fat.
don't be in a hurry to add your sauce, let it smoke for 2 to 3 hours
like stated above then slowly up the heat to around 250 to 275.
in the last 90 minutes hit it with sauce and on the last 30 minute mark
hit it again.
now it wont be worth **** with out coleslaw and beer.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by PappyDan
yeah it has got to reach 165 in the thick parts.
put your rub on good as most of it will drip off with the fat.
don't be in a hurry to add your sauce, let it smoke for 2 to 3 hours
like stated above then slowly up the heat to around 250 to 275.
in the last 90 minutes hit it with sauce and on the last 30 minute mark
hit it again.
now it wont be worth **** with out coleslaw and beer.
and beans and potato salad. its a MUST.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by viciousknid
2003 Silverado ECSB, Mazda Rotary v.1.0 w/ custom VTACH, Forged internals, Flat top pistons, headers, 2.5in duals with 8" tips, 500shot of NOS, 275/45/20"s, 6" tach, 48 stickers and Dual NARPS. 14.9 1/4 @85mph YEA BOI!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:53 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Thanks guy's. We will be firing up the the smoker here in a bit. I have all the needed supplies........ as mentioned above. I am really looking forward to it. If it turns out, maybe we will have to think about what to cook/smoke next. Anyone ever do a rib roast? I spent part of yesterday getting the smoker cleaned up and then did a shakedown burn to work on controlling the heat. I think this is going to be fun. Thanks guy's for the advise. Vince

Quick Reply: Smoked Beef Brisket HELP