Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Traffic Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic Cameras

I have been talking to a few people about this....I wanted to know if any of you knew if those traffic small cameras on the top of most traffic lights take your picture and send you a ticket? One of my friends swears that they are but I was almost positive that for a traffic light camera to take your picture there has to be a sign saying that there is a camera at that light blah blah blah. Anyone have anymore info on this?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the circular camers located sort of on the ends of the lights, or the camera looking ones located directly on in the middle? I think the middle ones help to tell if anyone is coming so it can work with the light timing, and the circular ones on the ends actually take your picture of your truck if you run a red light. But im not certain
Old 05-29-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

here in so cal they are now everywhere. ( thank god for paper plates)

but they always have a sign and the cameras are usually on separte posts with a big box at the top and you can clearly tell its a camera. there are usually multiple camera too. when you see someone run them you almost always see a flash. i almost thought it was lightining but i remebered i live in so cal and that **** doesent exhist here. but i try not to run redlights .

the other day i passed the stop line by inches and i got flashed. but i never received a ticlet since i just sat there and waited for traffic. i have a couple friends that got one and it cost them between 350-400 bucks so try not and run them

the small cameras on top you rspeaking of are not for taking your picture they dont have the ability to zoom in as well as the other ones do. besudes they need more angles to get a picture of 1) your plates and you car, 2) a picture of you behind the wheel 3) a picture of you running the light.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:27 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cameras used to catch people running red lights will take your picture and by identifying your license plate will send you a ticket in the mail. They are not required to have notification signs up. At least that's what I've heard out here in california, might of changed or might be different in other states.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:30 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
here in so cal they are now everywhere. ( thank god for paper plates)

but they always have a sign and the cameras are usually on separte posts with a big box at the top and you can clearly tell its a camera. there are usually multiple camera too. when you see someone run them you almost always see a flash. i almost thought it was lightining but i remebered i live in so cal and that **** doesent exhist here. but i try not to run redlights .

the other day i passed the stop line by inches and i got flashed. but i never received a ticlet since i just sat there and waited for traffic. i have a couple friends that got one and it cost them between 350-400 bucks so try not and run them

the small cameras on top you rspeaking of are not for taking your picture they dont have the ability to zoom in as well as the other ones do. besudes they need more angles to get a picture of 1) your plates and you car, 2) a picture of you behind the wheel 3) a picture of you running the light.
Hmmm....maybe it's county specific. Anyone know? When I used to live in Ventura county there were no signs alerting of those cameras.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

I heard about it and never believed it though, until my friend got one about 2 weeks ago but if I remember right it was only like $70?? but yeah it is true...
Old 05-29-2007, 12:47 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

I see them all the time and I have run multiple red lights at 2a or later because NO ONE is there. I think some states are now outlawing them because who is to say that you were the one driving your vehicle when the red light was run?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

There are those little small black things on traffic lights which are IR receivers for emergency's vehicles.. The light cameras around here are on separate poles, and flash when you get caught. One local one flashes once, takes a pic of you as you are within braking distance, and another to confirm whether you are just past the line and not running the light or not.. If you arent visable, then they assume you ran it.

-Lurius
Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Originally Posted by Lurius
There are those little small black things on traffic lights which are IR receivers for emergency's vehicles.. The light cameras around here are on separate poles, and flash when you get caught. One local one flashes once, takes a pic of you as you are within braking distance, and another to confirm whether you are just past the line and not running the light or not.. If you arent visable, then they assume you ran it.

-Lurius
There's a couple here in Baton Rouge. They're being evaluated, but not installed for permanent use yet. And... your statement is the most accurate.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lurius

-Lurius
The ones on top of the lights are not cameras..
they are for traffic control like stated above..
like the metro cameras on the Freeway.
the ones that take your pic are located behind the intersection being targeted.
so that when you go through the intersection they can take a pic of your license plate.
if it was above the traffic light it wouldnt be able to see your license.

if you look at all the pics takin when a citation is given they are from behind, and with the vehicle in the middle of the intersection.

if you look closely at the intersections where they are doing this you will notice a large box on a pole on the side of the street, right before you get to the intersection..
this is where the camera is located.

Quick Reply: Traffic Cameras