Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

What's the dumbest thing a shop/dealership has ever told you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the dumbest thing a shop/dealership has ever told you?

Post some stuff you guys have encountered where someone at an auto shop,speed shop, dealership, etc told you something you knew was complete bullshit.

1.) Some guy told me that longtubes would hurt my truck engine and I would lose 15hp. He said go with shorties, they're good for 30hp.

2.) I also got quoted $675 to color match my bumper cover. I just laughed and told him I'd keep looking
Old 11-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

They told me when I bought my truck (4.8 w/ 20's) it would get ~20 MPG on the highway.

The difference in the 4.8 and 5.3 is not noticiable.

When I bought my truck I had 2 choices Black RCSB 04 with 4.8 and 20's or a Gray RCSB 05 with 5.3 and stock alloys. Me being the dumbass I am I got the 04 cause I got a better deal and I liked the wheels. This was way before I found this site.

Last edited by BlackGMC; 11-30-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took an S10 into this dealer for warranty work - it had a BAD vibration coming from the driveshaft. They charged me $72 to look at it and tell me that "the tires needed to be rotated and balanced." I took it to another dealership 2 days later and they ordered and replaced the driveshaft which fixed it.

Buckalew Chevrolet can kiss my fat ***
Old 11-30-2006, 08:29 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a dealer, but a custom exhaust shop told me that my Corsa was an exhaust restriction, what I really needed was to go with true dual Flowmasters.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thunder550
Not a dealer, but a custom exhaust shop told me that my Corsa was an exhaust restriction, what I really needed was to go with true dual Flowmasters.

I have hear that one before. LoL
Old 11-30-2006, 08:37 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, and when I had the old 60E in there and I lost 2nd and 4th (this is before I knew anything about these trucks, BTW) I took it to the dealer and they did a trans flush to see if that would fix the problem.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dealership had a new VHO sitting out close to the road. I asked one of the salesmen about it. First off, he didn't know what a VHO was. I told him it was basically it was that extended cab out on the road with the 6.0L. He said, "Oh, you mean an SS?" I said no, the VHO. He then tells me the only truck that isn't an HD with a 6.0L is the SS. I asked him to follow me out to the road, where I showed him the VHO and the 6.0L under the hood. Then, he begins to tell me that this was a special order vehicle like the ss that came with the new "corvette" 6.0L in it. Again, I shoot his feeble attempts at outsmarting me down. He keeps on and on, until I start spitting out LQ4, LQ9, LS2, etc. He looked like a deer in the headlights. Then, he wanted me to go inside and talk with his boss about getting a job as a salesman there. He said I easily knew more about every gm vehicle out there than any other person working there.
Finally, I tell him about my truck and that its pretty fast. He shows me a 6.0L gto and says If I want to go fast, I need to get rid of the truck and get into one of "these". I laugh alittle and ask him how many car lengths I need to give it to make a race out of it.
I left knowing I completely OWNED his ***. This wasn't a small time dealership either........it was a huge one in Memphis.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My story is almost the exact same as slows... Went to the dealer, just tire kicking, a salesman asks me if I needed help. i says yes I do, then ask him if he knew when or if they were going to get any of the new VHO trucks.. He paused and asked me what is that, i tell him the whole thing, specs on the truck.. He next tells me that that gm doesn't make a truck like that and that sobody has told me the wrong facts,blah blah.. So I just shook my head, laphed, said ok thanks and left.. Isn't even worth the argument sometimes.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 AM
12 Second Truck Club

EVERY Time I go to a stealership they give me a damn headach.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:35 AM
KB
13 Second Truck Club

When I was test driving my "old" Cobalt SS/SC I asked the sales guy if the car had a LSD (limited slip differential durh) from the factory; in response he looked at me and said "son, this thing has a pioneer stereo system" and proceeded to find a rap station and blare Tupac on the radio.

Quick Reply: What's the dumbest thing a shop/dealership has ever told you?