Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

What's the dumbest thing a shop/dealership has ever told you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a bent valves and push rods on the 86 ta with a tpi-I went to gm to get new tpi heads, and the parts guy had his gear head friend tech look at the car--the tech told me it was the fuel pump...I told him to take off the valve cover on the passenger side--he saw 3 bent valves and 4 broke or bent push rods--needless to say I trailered the car back home and did my own work.......

Then the ford dealership replaced my 7.3 because the waste gate needed adjustment--best $100 copay for warranty work I ever spent.......
Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Teching In

about 18 years ago I was the lead technician for a small carpet cleaning company. I took in one of our vans to Pep Boys to have a weak alternator changed out under warranty. Cost $0. After the 40ish year old technician began work on the van he took a smoke break and came over to me, and handed me a pair of safety glasses and asked me to come take a look.

I went with him to look at the van and he pointed out all of the bright green antifreeze which appeared to be dripping from the water pump. LOL

I asked him how rusty brown *** water turns green when it leaks out of the water pump. It was my job to maintain all of our vans and I checked all the oil and coolant, brakes, etc. EVERYDAY. We used only water in our 200K+ mile vans that were bought used over 10years old..

I laughed and told him to hurry the hell up with the alternator, I had stuff to do
Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

So he poured new antifreeze on the pump to try and sell you a replacement pump? Thats pretty shitty.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Atomic
So he poured new antifreeze on the pump to try and sell you a replacement pump? Thats pretty shitty.
effen dumbass thought I was a stupid kid that could only clean carpet for a living LOL. well he was right haha but that was my van every morning.

on a brighter note, with my bad back from cleaning carpet now I'm just a stupid old man that can't even clean carpet for a living haha, but I know how to build cars still
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Teching In

I was with a buddy of mine once, we brought an 02 duramax in to quote new injectors. The technition attempted to convince us the 02 duramaxes had 18 injectors.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Took my truck in for a last minute alignment before a long trip. I knew the trans had a little leak in the rear seal so I asked if they could just check the fluid and top it off as needed.

Mechanic: company policy says we can't just cover up an issue. So if it is leaking we would have to find and repair the leak before we could top it off.

Me: well how much would it cost to replace the seal quick (figuring it would quick and easier to do it while it was there.)

Mechanic: oh we don't do that here. We would have to send it to a transmission shop.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at a Ford Dealership and talking with one of the sales guys about a New Boss 302 Mustang they had sitting on the showroom floor. He tells me its the fastest production car made, and how it would stomp a Z06 around a road track, I just turned around and walked off while he was in mid sentence.....
Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

I was told the reason the sun shield broke and blew the transmission! Is cause i put a Cold Air Intake on my truck..
Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told a 6.2 in a silverado was a pink elephant.... You just don't see them unless it's in a Denali. I asked him if he could order me one and he told me no. I just told you you will have to get the Denali. I then proceeded across town where they had 3 on the lot to go along with 2 ZR1s. Pretty sure they know how to order what ever damn pink elephant I want.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

trying to tell me my truck wouldnt start because my amp steps and stereo

Quick Reply: What's the dumbest thing a shop/dealership has ever told you?