Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

What's the dumbest thing a shop/dealership has ever told you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 02:50 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was test driving a GTO the salesman tells me that ..."you can bolt just a supercharger on it and get 700HP out of the motor, he seen it in a magazine..." Even my wife looked at him stupid...
Old 11-30-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

When i was getting my truck they had a 4.8 just like my truck and the guy said "The difference is just 10 hp, you can just get a square K&N and you will be faster than the 5.3." I just told him I will be back later.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow....the looks on the dealership mechanics' faces when i told them i needed a crank relearn...they tried to charge me for an hour of labor for a 2 min job....after 20 min of explaining what i needed done and why i had swapped pcms. so i said "yall are freagin crazy". thank god my mechanic had a genysys scan tool and didnt charge me anything to do it.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Default I think I got one of the best...

A customer came in and she told me she had a alignment done and now the car pulls to the right.It never was like this before.She had taken it back afterwards 2 times ,the first they said shocks bad,second sticking calipers but still pulls right.She was tired of paying money and not getting car fixed .She came to me for another opinion after his reply, which she even thought this was bull.

OK HERE IT IS....

The service advisor had told this gal that her alignment was never set correctly from the factory.
It is DESIGNED to pull to the right as a safety feature - So if you nod off or something ,you will not get into oncoming traffic and cause a head on collision !!!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Back in '99, I was in Virginia Beach, looking at a '98 S-10, 4.3 EC, 5 speed, tilt and cruise. They wanted $23k for it. The factory sticker was $19k... The "Tidewater Area Package" added: silicone on the hoses, fuel injector cleaner... I asked, this truck has 34 miles on it, how dirty are the injectors??? And my favorite... "NATION WIDE GM WARRENTY COVERAGE"! I told him it comes with that, he said no it doesn't, if you break down in Cali, you either have to pay for the repairs or have it towed 3000 miles back to VB to have the warranty work done... We argued for a bit and I got tired and left. Dude, when you get your BS called, just stop.

He was pissed when I came back in a new car from another dealer

I will never buy a vehicle from a stealership near a military base. They automatically think that everyone in the military is stupid and are willing to pay whatever they ask for anything
Old 11-30-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The service advisor had told this gal that her alignment was never set correctly from the factory.
It is DESIGNED to pull to the right as a safety feature - So if you nod off or something ,you will not get into oncoming traffic and cause a head on collision !!!!! [/QUOTE]

my stepmom was told the same thing with her '98 silverado. it pulled pretty bad to the right. the stealership did an alignment on it and wore the tires out in about 3 thousand miles. took it back for new tires and another allignment, and they told us it is supposed to pull to the right. this is after the third time it was in. we started screamin lemon law, and the dealership gladly replaced the front suspension until the truck drove straight as an arrow.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 AM
The Wingman

Originally Posted by gtosilverado
from jesse bubb ...."the oil from your air filter is messing up the readings of the MAF sensor, thats why you are not running as strong, the pcm is much smarter now" thats what he said when i told him my stock pcm got a better ET than his wait4me tune.
ha ha, the force is strong with this pcm...

I was a tech for 3 years and now i'm a parts manager, I've heard some crazy things from employees, customers, and especially salesmen. You don't have to know about a car to be hired as salesman. But it sure as hell helps. I mean if you wanna stay a salesman for longer than a month.

As far as the alignment thing, every now and then you'll get the customer that complains about a pull, then you test drive it and its straight as an arrow, then they'll come back on a day with 30 mph wind and say it's STILL pulling............ I'm guilty for tellin some hard headed *** customer that it was actually the grade of the road, and that its was formed with small degree of a grade to it to help move water off of it.

Then there are the cars like was mentioned before that just have a serious alignment problem from the factory. I had an 05 ranger come in with about 1k miles on it. Customer complaining about the tires feathering. Put it on the alignment machine and sure nuff, its off, bad. We ended up having to add shims to a brand new truck.

The best service writer we ever had, wasn't mechanicaly inclined at all, Ok he could change oil. But he could talk and make it make since. He could sell snow cones in alaska. Sometimes we'd laugh at how stupid it sounded but the customer would walk away satisfied with a fixed car.

Baically, you gotta know your if you don't wanna get fed it.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TahoeSS01
It is DESIGNED to pull to the right as a safety feature - So if you nod off or something ,you will not get into oncoming traffic and cause a head on collision !!!!!
That's a very popular rumor.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been told so many times at dealerships that VHO's dont exist while mine was sitting in the parking lot. I just wanna hit somebody in the face.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Teching In

well a buddy of mine which is a stone cold hillbilly . recently came into a large sum of money. went to the chevy dealer in sweat pants and wife beater, and asked the first salesman he seen '' how much is that z06 right there?'' the salesman said '' you cant afford that. so he walked out went down the street to the other dealer bought one CASH went back the the first one and showed the manager what his salesman said he couldnt afford.. ouch!

Quick Reply: What's the dumbest thing a shop/dealership has ever told you?