Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

What's the dumbest thing a shop/dealership has ever told you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to oreilys and asked for ngk tr6 and was told they are only used for imports.

Was told exhuast cut out was very dangerous and would cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

"A can of CRC is running us about $80, and if we clean out your maf, we're gonna have to charge you for the entire bottle."

"The trans. slip from the factory in GM's. Just get in any of them on the lot. They'll all do it."

"GM doesn't put servos in their transmissions."

"The new Silverados are setup like Corvettes. (wtf?) They'll take anything you line 'em up with."

"If you're looking for a vehicle that'll take anything on the road, you need to come on over here towards the new Tahoe's."

"Put the right hitch on the 1500's and there's no need for a diesel. They'll pull just as much."

"Yeah, we'll be gettin' in the single cab V8 Colorados real soon."

"GM doesn't make a 6.2 truck, but we'll be getting in a few more 5.3's here shortly."

The stories never end.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brp7282
well a buddy of mine which is a stone cold hillbilly . recently came into a large sum of money. went to the chevy dealer in sweat pants and wife beater, and asked the first salesman he seen '' how much is that z06 right there?'' the salesman said '' you cant afford that. so he walked out went down the street to the other dealer bought one CASH went back the the first one and showed the manager what his salesman said he couldnt afford.. ouch!
We did this with my Colorado. Dressed very relaxed, almost poorly. Went around and see who treated us best, then eventually wrote a check for the truck. You find out in life that in most cases, those who don't try to flaunt their **** are the ones who actually have something.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guy says man u no how much hp ur losing with no cats all high hp applications have cats lol thanks Midas Guy grow some
Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Almost a record thread bump from 2006?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

oohhh an oldie!!

That the SS has a chip and that's what made it more powerful than a standard V8 Silverado... I looked at the salesman like; Really??!?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Local exhaust shop who has "performance" in their biz name...
I drive my truck up the the day after my 6.0L swap. Open OBX longtube headers , 3" collectors, NO exhaust.

Me " I want you to build me a 3" Y pipe from my longtubes back like factory but all 3", then weld in my Dynamax Race bullet and dump it before the axle."

Owner of 'Performance' Shop... " You need to run 3" true duals on this truck. You are taking 6" of pipe (collectors) and necking it down to 3", you're killing the performance and choking the motor down."

Me "They come factory with a Y pipe, I wont be using CATS or a chambered muffler, 3" will work just fine and breathe PLENTY for my bolt on 6.0L..."

Owner " Im telling you, you need to run 3" true duals straight back with these Flowmaster 40's i have right here, it'll make power..."

Me " This is not a bogging truck with a big block, I dont want a flowmaster on my truck, they are a chambered muffler and these motor love a straight thru muffler, this is why I have a race bullet. "

Owner is pissed off and being a ******** at this point..." Im just telling you what i know. It's your truck. I'll do whatever you want but im telling you youre not gonna be making the power you should be making if you choke this motor down by running a Y into 3" from 2 - 3" collectors."

I have him do what i wanted, truck sounds awesome...

I pull out, rolling and leave 100ft black marks in front of his shop sideways in second gear tappin the rev limiter...

Said shop owner no longer has an attitude when i go for exhaust work.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Around 2001, I pulled into a dealership to look at a ZR2 Jimmy, that was more or less otherwise a twin to my 96 Jimmy 2 door 2wd. My 96 was my work truck, and I was looking for something to drive on the weekend.

The salesman walked up to the back of my Jimmy and smacked the tailgate. He then said "you wanting to trade in this pile of junk." I promptly walked around to the back of my Jimmy, looked where he had smacked it and asked for another salesman. I told him I was extremely insulted by his lack of respect for my vehicle. I did my business with the other salesman. I pulled out of the parking lot and did my best one wheel peel down the road. The next day, I bought a Tahoe off ebay.

When I lived in PA, I was looking for a cheap winter 4x4. I would walk up and look at one on dealerships lot, and they would start talking about how rust free the truck was. I would knock a hole in it and leave. I know I knocked holes in about 5 s-10's front fenders.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

holy old tread batman!

When I had my 2003 4.3l GMC Sonoma I was told by the service tech that using fully synthetic oil would flat spot my cams. When I asked him how that could be he said that a friend of his had a mustang with a lot of work done. As soon as he switched to full synthetic it flat spotted his cams. Then....as if he haddent already dug a big enough hole for his self he continued and told me that the fully synthetic wasn't good for the 4.3l engine anyways because it didn't have enough torque. That was the last time I went to that dealership for anything.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

My wife has a 2008 infinity G35 S with every option you can buy, I was looking for myself a tahoe or z71 NNBS. We were in my wifes car and saw a trade in at the local KIA store and I stopped to look........ the inside of this tahoe had never been vaccumed. I started back to the car and a salesman walked up and asked what he could help me with, I replied, " Just looking", he then asked me was I trading my "car" for a better car like the optima...... It was all I could do to keep from punching him, what an idiot! I told him in so circumstances would I trade that car for a KIA and to leave me alone........ he followed me back to the car, I politely told him to "F off" and I drove away and he was shocked haha.

Quick Reply: What's the dumbest thing a shop/dealership has ever told you?