Sponsor Feedback Report your sponsor transactions feedback here, good and/or bad!

TBSS engine blown

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, we moved this thread here to give STS a chance to respond. There's a lot of stuff floating around and it's only fair that everyone involved be allowed to speak to the issue. I think its safe to say that there are two sides to every issue, and things are not always as they may seem at first blush.

Please, unless you have direct experience in this matter, let Rick respond to the allegations before anyone else adds to the discussion. Once Rick gets a chance to post, ask questions of him about this if you want, etc., but do not post here outside of those parameters.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

The guys at STS always seemed to bend over backwards for there customers. I would like to hear from both parties involved.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The facts are they used my truck to develop a kit. Z-rated installed the system per Ricks instructions. My engine was blown at STS while being tuned by Rick. I was told that the engine would be replaced. Dave brought my truck back to me(without turbo), and told me that the engine was replaced. I developed a bad oil leak the next day, and took it back to the dealer. The dealership where Dave took it to told me that they were forced to rebuild it, and that they wanted to replace it because it was really screwed up. It had a damaged piston, bent rod, damaged crank, and all the bearings were damaged. I was pissed off and asked for my $12,000 back. I was told that all my money was spent on the kit. I told them that there was no way I would allow them to install this kit on a half assed dealership rebuild! So, I am left without my money, and a Screwed up engine! FACTS!

Last edited by tirkob1; 11-15-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Hi Guys, sorry I don't get out here much but life is pretty busy. There seems to be a few rumors and 'he-said-she-said' floating around. I was made known of this issue yesterday and will respond to the best of my ability. First off, I take a lot of pride in the quality of service and support that we at STS give to our direct customers, our dealers as well as our dealer's customers and I'm not sure where this got way out of hand. I get involved with our dealers and their customers to help solve problems like this when they occur and will continue to do so. Anyway, here are some facts from my side of this story:

STS has never received $6000 or $12,000 or any amount of money from this customer as he is NOT a direct customer of STS but is a customer of one of our dealers (ZRated Motorsports in SLC). I have never even dealt with him personally.

This truck was not built or installed by STS. STS sold a Universal Kit to ZRated Motorsports in SLC (2 universal kits in fact) which were fabricated into TBSS systems through ZRated and not by STS (our dealers do this all the time for vehicles that we don't have systems available for yet). I committed to help Dave with the tuning and then got more involved when the first engine developed engine knock to help determine the problem. I even drove up to SLC to personally inspect the engine at the dealership which ended up being a lower end oiling issue. STS did not receive any money from either of these 2 TBSS customers.

I won't put words into anyone's mouth and will let Dave at ZRated speak for himself about anything that he possibly may have conveyed to these customers about STS's level of involvement in these projects. I do know that Dave at ZRated has bent over backwards doing all the legwork to get both of these engines repaired at no additional cost to the customers. I believe that one received a new crate engine (that was a little overkill IMO for the bearing damage that was present - but OK). The other was not as bad and received all new lower end components including crank and I believe a rod or two were replaced as well (probably a better diagnosis by GM tech as there was obviously nothing wrong with heads and top end). This work was done at the GM dealership, which would have obviously replaced the complete engine/block/etc had there been any damage there.

Neither of these engines 'blew up', but both developed rod knock because of bearing failure so I don't understand how it could be stated that the tech at GM said the block was severely damaged beyond repair, as he would have been the one who recommended which parts were to be replaced.

The only STS TBSS system that STS has delivered out in the field belongs to Dan over at Dynojet who was kind enough to let us use his truck for development of the TBSS system. He has posted his experience and the progression of the testing of that system on the following thread:

http://www.trailblazerss.com/forums/...opic=4272&st=0

This truck has been running flawlessly and performing well. We will most likely be doing one more TBSS internally before releasing this system to the public toward the end of the year.

The first of the TBSS systems done by ZRated has been completely repaired. Dave at ZRated has driven and broken in the engine and just finished reinstalling the turbo system on the truck. We provided ZRated with our production oiling system components to solve the oiling problems they encountered. He is bringing that truck by STS today for help with finishing the tuning.

As always, we will do our best here at STS to maintain the great reputation that we have worked so hard for the last 4 years to build. Thanks for letting us be a part of your online community.

Rick Squires
Squires Turbo Systems, Inc.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Tirkob1 - So who have you been asking to refund your $12k? You keep saying that you gave me your money and yet you have not called and asked me for it back (mind you I don't have it because you didn't ever give it to STS) but if you have a problem with STS I recommend that you call our toll free number 866-WE TURBO and dial my extension #807 rather than doing whatever it is that you are trying to accomplish here.

Rick Squires
Old 11-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Teching In

I just spoke with Tirko1 on the phone and got his side of the story first hand. I will be following up with Dave over at ZRated and try to help resolve any issues that need to be taken care of. I will also try and speak with the dealership that did the repair work on the engine to get their side of the story.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Good to see that you guys are looking out for your customers. Hope everything gets worked out for all parties involved.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

I would buy a new 6.2 block a a good forged rotating assembly. Just my .02. Block is $1400 on gmpartsdirect and a good rotating assembly is probably around $3000. You could build a 415 or 427 very easily that way
Old 11-15-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Turbocharged
Anyway, here are some facts from my side of this story:

STS has never received $6000 or $12,000 or any amount of money from this customer as he is NOT a direct customer of STS but is a customer of one of our dealers (ZRated Motorsports in SLC). I have never even dealt with him personally.

This truck was not built or installed by STS. STS sold a Universal Kit to ZRated Motorsports in SLC (2 universal kits in fact) which were fabricated into TBSS systems through ZRated and not by STS (our dealers do this all the time for vehicles that we don't have systems available for yet).
Rick Squires
So what ur saying is that you sent two universal kits to ZRated for free? Why wouldn't you think they used his money to purchase them from you? You DID receive the money, whether it was from him or ZRated. But I do agree the problem lies with ZRated, who installed the "kit" and tuned it. They should be the ones he is upset with.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:26 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

What he's saying is STS has no direct relationship with Tirkob1. STS' customer was ZRated. At any rate, these universal kits may have been part of ZRated's inventory purchased before anyone knew Tirkob1, so yes, it is possible STS didn't receive any of his money. Point is, Red, you don't know who received what, when.

Rick never claimed ZRated did not use Tirkob1's money to pay it's bills. He said Tirkob1 never paid a cent to STS. And he's correct... When Tirkob1 pays ZRated, it's no longer his money. It's ZRated's money (until they refund it or a judge orders a judgement and in either of those cases, ZRated pays Tirkob1, not STS). Tirkob1 certainly can't go to ZRated's landlord an demand a refund. Nor would you say ZRated's landlord has Tirkob1's money...

In other words, you don't blame / sue GE if Lowes messes up your counters when they install your dishwasher. You also don't run around telling people GE stole your money because Lowes won't give you a refund.

Quick Reply: TBSS engine blown